Hischier or Patrick?

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Uhhh... last game versus the Isles Patrick was 68% CF 5v5 (2nd highest on the team), was 6/9 on faceoffs, and had several shifts with quality scoring chances. Including this assist...

... If you didn't notice him than you are blind. Whatever though, it's very HF to make crazy judgements on a 19 year old kid in the NHL who just had a concussion and has played all of 14 games for a last place team.

odd. he might've had a good game but i didn't find him to be anything impressive.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Hishier looks like a #1C already. Great in both ends, very smart making plays down ice, can skate the puck through the neutral zone very well. What more could you ask for?

He is exactly what I said he would be, long before the draft when 95% of the people ranked Nolan above Hischier.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
odd. he might've had a good game but i didn't find him to be anything impressive.

Adding to what I wrote previously, he played just over 11 minutes 5 on 5 and we had 9 SOG while he was on the ice. He also had 4 controlled zone entries and was top forward in xG%.

How about you just fess up and say you weren't paying attention instead of saying he wasn't noticeable or all that impressive?

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Adding to what I wrote previously, he played just over 11 minutes 5 on 5 and we had 9 SOG while he was on the ice. He also had 4 controlled zone entries and was top forward in xG%.

How about you just fess up and say you weren't paying attention instead of saying he wasn't noticeable or all that impressive?
dont cry about it. i didnt find him to be very impressive, that's all.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hischier is by far the more impressive rookie, but i don't believe anyone thought it would be any other way.

I don't think its fair to judge patrick right now because of injuries and responsibility. Hischier is healthy and is playing in a role where he is needed to perform. Patrick is being handed responsibility slowly.

WHen patrick gets his skating up to par, he will be special. I see just some of thelittle things he does out there and he looks so much better than any flyer rookie forward i can recall in quite some time.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Hischier is by far the more impressive rookie, but i don't believe anyone thought it would be any other way.

I don't think its fair to judge patrick right now because of injuries and responsibility. Hischier is healthy and is playing in a role where he is needed to perform. Patrick is being handed responsibility slowly.

WHen patrick gets his skating up to par, he will be special. I see just some of thelittle things he does out there and he looks so much better than any flyer rookie forward i can recall in quite some time.

Obviously it's way too early to pass judgment on either player, but I thought the knock on Hischier versus Patrick is that Hischier was seen as not as NHL ready as Patrick. So far it actually seems to be the reverse, even though Hischier has a ways to go in terms of being physically ready for big league.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Patrick has been injured!

He obviously hasn't been as good as Hischier, but people dissing him are nuts, but they'll go crazy for other prospects playing in vastly inferior leagues.

Reactions: torero

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Not necessary. Just keep blessing us with your great 1 sentence observations on games, when every piece of evidence says otherwise.
Again I’m still waiting for you to explain why its such a big deal that a fan of another team wasn’t impressed with him the one game he’s seen him play. Clearly you feel very strongly on the subject so please explain why it’s an issue for you.

Or just admit your annoyed he’s not singing high praises of your high draft pick.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I watched Patrick the last few seasons with the wheatkings. What stood out to me is that he really reminded me of Mark Stone (obviously drafted much lower), slower foot speed but with a great shot, good at take aways and excellent hockey IQ. I think he is going to be a late bloomer as well. without a doubt Hischier is currently playing better but I wouldn't sour on Patrick just yet, I have a feeling he will start to hit his stride a bit later like stone or Scheifele .

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
dont cry about it. i didnt find him to be very impressive, that's all.
Ok, bro. Great posts. Very informative.
Why are you so upset he didn’t find him impressive? Is it that big a deal?
i can lie and say i thought he was really good if you want
Not necessary. Just keep blessing us with your great 1 sentence observations on games, when every piece of evidence says otherwise.
Again I’m still waiting for you to explain why its such a big deal that a fan of another team wasn’t impressed with him the one game he’s seen him play. Clearly you feel very strongly on the subject so please explain why it’s an issue for you.

Or just admit your annoyed he’s not singing high praises of your high draft pick.
latest

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Patrick will be fine. His vision and IQ are great. He makes a lot of subtle little reads that are very hard to teach. He ultimately will need to play with someone who is as smart as he is.

That being said, I wanted the Devils to draft Patrick, and I've never been so glad to be so wrong in my life. Nico has been terrific and answered any questions I had about his game. He's lived up to everything a No. 1 pick should be. He grabbed the 1C role, he's played his ass off defensively, he's recognized when the team is collectively fading and doubled his efforts, etc. He needs to get stronger, but everything else is sound. Hall, Hischier and Bratt set the tone for how the rest of the team plays.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Too early. Way too early. Give it a few more season. For all we know, Patrick's injury woes will become a thing of the past and he'll quickly become a 1C.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Obviously it's way too early to pass judgment on either player, but I thought the knock on Hischier versus Patrick is that Hischier was seen as not as NHL ready as Patrick. So far it actually seems to be the reverse, even though Hischier has a ways to go in terms of being physically ready for big league.

No i don't think think that was knock on Hischier. I don't think their was a knock on Hischier, maybe some people thought he would be better at wing but that was pretty much it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Patrick was unable to train all offseason due to surgery. A surgery very similar to what Giroux and Ghost had a year ago. Look at them....night and day this year vs last year as far as mobility.

I have said it before, the best thing for Patrick is to play this year and end the year healthy. Having all offseason to train will do him wonders.

But already, you can see his upside. High IQ, good along the board, anticipates the play, etc... He plays like Couturier does but has a better shot. He will just never "wow" you with speed like Nico.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad