Hischier or Patrick?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I haven't really watched Patrick much but Hischier definitely looked like a 1st overall pick when he played the Flames.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Hiscsher, unfortunately, Patrick's injuries has made it difficult to assess him. But if this is about the Calder, then this should be about Boeser or Keller

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
In the 2 games he played against the isles I didn't even realize he was in the line up. The only time I noticed him at all is when he got that penalty shot...and shot wide

From Sons of Penn in reference to the same game as the penalty shot:
Patrick led all forwards with a 5v5 corsi for of 68.18% (15 shot attempts for, 7 against) and scoring chances for of 81.82% (9 scoring chances for, 2 against). His whole line made up the top three play-driving forwards for the Flyers on Friday, but they didn’t get the ice time they deserved. They generated the most scoring chances, while not giving up many, yet were criminally underused.

Patrick came out of the left corner, stickhandled a bit up into the circle, and dished a cross-ice pass to a wide open Gostisbehere at the point. Gostisbehere’s one-timer rang off iron (before eventually netting a wrister less than five minutes later), but Simmonds was crashing the net and buried the rebound into the yawning cage

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
Haven't watched the devils at all, but Hischier definitely putting up better numbers. Patrick seems to settling in a bit now after being out with injury. Hoping he can have a full offseason healthy to recover from his hernia surgeries. I don't get why everyone is making a big deal out of a 1st overall pick outperforming a 2nd overall pick. Especially one that has been healthier than the other.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Weird observation but did anyone else notice that Patrick's last name is typically a first name and his first name is typically a last name? I wonder how many people throughout his life thought his name was Patrick Nolan.

Reactions: ThewThew

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
i haven't seen hischier play personally but in both isles games versus philly i didn't even notice patrick

Are you serious?!
Patrick's line was playing some good hockey with Patrick doing the hard work on the boards and then passing it to either Simmons or Martel.
Definitely Patrick best game on Friday, he's vision is great, he also had a penalty shot but missed it wide after a good deke to the bag hand.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
Hiscsher, unfortunately, Patrick's injuries has made it difficult to assess him. But if this is about the Calder, then this should be about Boeser or Keller

And why shouldn't be talked about Hischier? Keller with 20 points in 26 games, Hischier with 17 in 23. So similar production between the two while Hischier is doing it at 18 years old and while playing exceptional defense on the Devils first line against the toughest competition.

The Boeser vs Keller talk for the Calder is getting ridiculous. There are a lot of great rookies this year that have a shot at the trophy and Hischier is certainly one of them.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Obviously Hischier has had a better start, Patrick has been injured and is playing on a worse team while the Devils are flying high.

Last edited by a moderator:

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Obviously Hischier has had a better start, Patrick has been injured and is playing on a worse team while the Devils are flying high.

But you can't fault the Devils GM and coaches for the Devils being good, philly has a ton of good players on their roster and people are actually calling their prospect pool for the best.

Hischier was put on a line with a player that half of HF boards was calling cancer for young kids, bad for your dressing room and a selfish player. I think Hall is proving a lot of people wrong but back to nico, him Hall and brat is just showing that they are to good to not produce.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I don't know what would classify as "breaking the earth", but Hischier is on a 60 point pace, which is pretty good for an 18 year old rookie.
Look at the user name. Last year Nylander and Marner get 60 points and are immediately crowned best thing since sliced bread. This year Nico is at the same pace - at 18, no less - and he is meh...

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
From Sons of Penn in reference to the same game as the penalty shot:
Patrick led all forwards with a 5v5 corsi for of 68.18% (15 shot attempts for, 7 against) and scoring chances for of 81.82% (9 scoring chances for, 2 against). His whole line made up the top three play-driving forwards for the Flyers on Friday, but they didn’t get the ice time they deserved. They generated the most scoring chances, while not giving up many, yet were criminally underused.

Patrick came out of the left corner, stickhandled a bit up into the circle, and dished a cross-ice pass to a wide open Gostisbehere at the point. Gostisbehere’s one-timer rang off iron (before eventually netting a wrister less than five minutes later), but Simmonds was crashing the net and buried the rebound into the yawning cage

Nice. What type of opposition does Patrick see though? Hischier plays 1C: he has to deal with the best of the best the other team can offer, night in night out.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Look at the user name. Last year Nylander and Marner get 60 points and are immediately crowned best thing since sliced bread. This year Nico is at the same pace - at 18, no less - and he is meh...
They were both declared future superstars, so I'm sure if Hischier ends up with close to the same production they will also declare him one.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Pretty sure all of HF agrees that Hischier is a future star

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Let's put this in perspective. With a 4 shot effort last night, Nico had 20% of Patrick's shots for the whole season

Reactions: Missionhockey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I would just wait until that happens, especially from a certain fan base...
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that it would happen for sure, just making a point. :laugh:

I'll stand by earlier statements I have made that I'll be thrilled with 45-50 point production, as that's great for an 18 year old rookie.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
i haven't seen hischier play personally but in both isles games versus philly i didn't even notice patrick
Uhhh... last game versus the Isles Patrick was 68% CF 5v5 (2nd highest on the team), was 6/9 on faceoffs, and had several shifts with quality scoring chances. Including this assist...

... If you didn't notice him than you are blind. Whatever though, it's very HF to make crazy judgements on a 19 year old kid in the NHL who just had a concussion and has played all of 14 games for a last place team.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Uhhh... last game versus the Isles Patrick was 68% CF 5v5 (2nd highest on the team), was 6/9 on faceoffs, and had several shifts with quality scoring chances. Including this assist...

... If you didn't notice him than you are blind. Whatever though, it's very HF to make crazy judgements on a 19 year old kid in the NHL who just had a concussion and has played all of 14 games for a last place team.

Using single game corsi stats are not wise due to such a small sample size. His season stats are...uh, not good. He will be a good player though but hasn't been this year. Good to see him rounding into shape

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that it would happen for sure, just making a point. :laugh:

I'll stand by earlier statements I have made that I'll be thrilled with 45-50 point production, as that's great for an 18 year old rookie.
I understand. :)

Before season began, there was a poll asking to forecast Nico's production this year and I posted that I thought he would get 50. So I am right there with you.

The only thing that I wish could be changed for Nico now, would be for him to get some time on the #1 PP unit. Other than that, I think that everything is A-OK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad