Hischier or Patrick?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Obviously it's way too early to pass judgment on either player, but I thought the knock on Hischier versus Patrick is that Hischier was seen as not as NHL ready as Patrick. So far it actually seems to be the reverse, even though Hischier has a ways to go in terms of being physically ready for big league.

The scary thing with Hischier is that he isn't "NHL ready" yet !! and he delivers with a huge snake bite shadowing the scoring numbers ! and that numbers don't capture what he brings to the table. Once he will be over these two barriers ... he'll be a monster. I dare saying that he may, depending on how things go down the road, pan out as a borderline generational talent !!

I watched a bit Patritck, and he seems pretty ready ! fighting and all ! smart guy for sure.

To early to draw a line between , but the max potential is in Hischier, and abit in all ranges of outcomes, i would put Hischier first. With all respect to Patrick who is a clear talent as well but his assets are more simple and straight than Hischier. (i must confess i haven't watched him play the way i watched Hischier)

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Nico is in a much better situation to succeed. Patrick plays for a brain dead coach that limits his ice time and is afraid to even put him on the 2nd PP unit. Missing 9 games with a concussion doesnt help his cause either.

All of that being said, I have been impressed with Patrick so far. He has a knowledge of the game and hockey sense that far exceeds most of his teammates...which is why most of them arent ready for his passes. He rarely makes a mistake and is already playing a veteran 2 way game.

I would love to see him get a chance on the Flyers top PP unit because I think he could thrive there with that talent around him. If they every decide to break up the first line, playing with Giroux or Voracek could also help him put up numbers.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Great assessment. Glad Nico has looked great and Patrick has looked good with flashes of brilliance. I think Nolan if he stays healthy will be a similar player to Joe Thorton (better defensively maybe slightly worse offensively). I think both teams are still happy with their picks. Flyer fans are nervous with his injury history but overall knew he likely wouldn't jump out of the gate quickly because of injuries but has shown some great play making ability and defensive awareness. Once he gains some confidence I think will see a quick leap in his production (just not sure if that's 10 games from now or in a season or 2)

So you mean he will be a first ballot hall of famer? Because that is what even a lesser player than Thornton will be.

If he even gets close to 50% of what Thornton have been, he will be seen as one of the better players in the league.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Patrick has been injured!

He obviously hasn't been as good as Hischier, but people dissing him are nuts, but they'll go crazy for other prospects playing in vastly inferior leagues.
I agree with this. The fact that Patrick is in the NHL - only him and Hischier are, of the 17 draft - and doesn't look out of place is a good sign for the future. Not everyone hits the ground running full boost. Be patient, folks.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I thought Patrick had a terrific game against the Islanders. He looked way stronger out there than at the start of the season. Maybe he put on a bit of weight when he missed time for that concussion?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Too early. Way too early. Give it a few more season. For all we know, Patrick's injury woes will become a thing of the past and he'll quickly become a 1C.

Yeah, people just have no patience nowadays and are too quick to judge. Seeing more rookies explode right out of the gate the past few seasons has also made some people forget that there's usually a long development curve for rookie players and it may take a season or two to start really hitting your stride.

Wanted Nico and certainly glad NJ took him, but gotta give Patrick a few more seasons to see what type of NHL player he's going to develop into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad