Post-Game Talk: His name is Jeff!! Habs win 3-2 in OT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Weal was bad, and Weise didnt do much.
I dont expect CJ to make line changes after 1 game, which we won, but the Domi line needs to be modified. Weal and Weise just dont have the offense to keep up with Domi.
Hudon could potentially work with Domi.

Why do you think Hudon is better offensively than Weal?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
1263266791.jpg

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah thats what i was trying to say lol, people confuse this rule but if the ref is thinking penalty shot, then you blow the whistle RIGHT away after the scoring chance or if there isnt one, if it was grade A scoring chance, no penalty shot, 2 min penalty, if the scoring chance was hampered, penalty shot, simple.

This ref COMPLETELY blew the call with letting pittsburgh take ANOTHER shot on net..... and THEN award the penalty shot anyway?? Honestly i was furious because thats just a botched call, the ref was absolutely completely out to lunch on that rule, and it was probably the first time he ever calls that or something i just dont know, but somebody better talk to him, that was unacceptable imo

For the Drouin chance, i dont know man, he got "the shot off" but the "scoring chance" was definitely hampered by the infraction in question

No question drouin's chance was hampered, but it comes down to the official's interpretation of whether he still had a scoring chance, which I think he still did.

I don't like the way this rule is worded.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Stanley Cup 2020 will forever have an asterisk after it.

Yeah you say that but , it wont, there are a number of instances of irregular Stanley Cup "wins" throughout history and winning the cup is winning the cup every single time and is remembered as such.
Because people are disgusted at losing a chance FOR a chance at 1st overall pick and they can divert that negative energy to disparaging winning a championship lol and thats fine , but its quite fascinating. Im not saying dont hope to lose, BUT there are even different groups IN that "hope to lose" mentality, with some people just brushing off this entire tournament because they are tunnel-visioned primarily on that 12.5% chance now.
YOU'll have an asterisk next to it maybe, if for some reason you have a paper with a list of the 100 cup winners and you like to put footnotes next to some of them, then hey good on you, you most likely wont be the only one.
Put asterisks next to the 1980 through 1986 Cup winners too while you're at it, those years the first rounds were best of 5's.

But for people just happy hockeys back:

If we win, great.
If we lose, great.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah thats what i was trying to say lol, people confuse this rule but if the ref is thinking penalty shot, then you blow the whistle RIGHT away after the scoring chance or if there isnt one, if it was grade A scoring chance, no penalty shot, 2 min penalty, if the scoring chance was hampered, penalty shot, simple.

This ref COMPLETELY blew the call with letting pittsburgh take ANOTHER shot on net..... and THEN award the penalty shot anyway?? Honestly i was furious because thats just a botched call, the ref was absolutely completely out to lunch on that rule, and it was probably the first time he ever calls that or something i just dont know, but somebody better talk to him, that was unacceptable imo

For the Drouin chance, i dont know man, he got "the shot off" but the "scoring chance" was definitely hampered by the infraction in question

I might be missing something but did Montreal gain possession after the Sheary chance where the ref should have blown the play dead before Pittsburgh got another shot on net?

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Oh to live in the world some here seem to. One where things like statistics, math and chance dont matter. Where your gut, heart and head live in perfect harmony and things like complex feelings and mixed emotions dont exist. Where no one ever feels conflicted And where you never have to choose between short term pain or long term success. A world where every one has to share your opinion and point of view or else you just cast their opinions aside as nonsense and revoke their fandom status for not being as single minded as yourselves.

Must be amazing!

I'll just have to continue my sad existence where I loyally stick by my team through the ups and downs and accept to suffer through painful retooling and rebuilds and disastrous / embarrassing seasons, Even though it sucks, all for the glimmer of hope of returning this once amazing franchise back to former glory with a team filled with high scoring talented players that compete for the cup regularly over decades. You know like the true non fan I am.. I guess.

...Even though winning a few games is great and feels good, and it's what we all ultimately want. But, You cant blame us for look at the big picture and realize that some times you need to take one step back to take 2 forward.

I've been a fan for 30 years and I've had my time of blindly following the team through the "anything can happen" moments. They don't excite me anymore to be fair and I'm desperate for us to actually be a contender year in and year out like Chicago, Los Angeles, etc.

We have such an opportunity with this new core of young players. I can't remember the last time we've had such a promising future at center, but we have to do it right and not try to rush it. I understand fans want to win but look at the big picture instead of immediate satisfaction.

If we can grab a star in the draft this year, added to Suzuki / Kotkaniemi, Danault in a shutdown role, Caufield coming, Romanov and our huge group of defensive prospects, we can really do damage in the next 3-5 years. But we can't rush it. We have a lot to do still - we need size and better defense so we have to shuffle the deck chairs around a little.

So when fans say "I can't believe people cheer for their team to lose" or "you can't trade Tatar, Domi and Drouin because you won't be able to compete now" I shake my head. We're not cheering to lose or tank, we're cheering for the potential of a future Cup.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I might be missing something but did Montreal gain possession after the Sheary chance where the ref should have blown the play dead before Pittsburgh got another shot on net?

I cant be 100% certain if we did, and i know where you're going with that, as in we didnt "touch" the puck so play can continue for pittsburgh, so we probably didnt touch the puck in between

BUT

When it comes to penalty shots, like i said earlier, if the ref is thinking penalty shot right away, then you blow the whistle RIGHT after the scoring chance, IF you do not blow the whistle right after that, you have then deemed it not penalty shot worthy, so the normal play-on continues until montreal touches the puck and THEN you give a 2 minute penalty

The fact the ref let the play continue to the point where they almost scored AGAIN, and THEN award penalty shot anyway? is disgusting reffing honestly, and i REAAAALLY hope someone talked to him after the game about that because its embarrassing for a professional ref to get that wrong.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I cant be 100% certain if we did, and i know where you're going with that, as in we didnt "touch" the puck so play can continue for pittsburgh, so we probably didnt touch the puck in between

BUT

When it comes to penalty shots, like i said earlier, if the ref is thinking penalty shot right away, then you blow the whistle RIGHT after the scoring chance, IF you do not blow the whistle right after that, you have then deemed it not penalty shot worthy, so the normal play-on continues until montreal touches the puck and THEN you give a 2 minute penalty

The fact the ref let the play continue to the point where they almost scored AGAIN, and THEN award penalty shot anyway? is disgusting reffing honestly, and i REAAAALLY hope someone talked to him after the game about that because its embarrassing for a professional ref to get that wrong.

This is the rule:

Timing - If the foul upon which the penalty shot is based occurs during actual playing time, the penalty shot shall be awarded and taken immediately in the usual manner notwithstanding any delay occasioned by a slow whistle by the Referee to allow play to continue until the attacking side has lost possession of the puck to the defending side,

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
This is the rule:

Timing - If the foul upon which the penalty shot is based occurs during actual playing time, the penalty shot shall be awarded and taken immediately in the usual manner notwithstanding any delay occasioned by a slow whistle by the Referee to allow play to continue until the attacking side has lost possession of the puck to the defending side,

Yes, immediately is the key word there

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yes, immediately is the key word there

But what about this part of the rule:

notwithstanding any delay occasioned by a slow whistle by the Referee to allow play to continue until the attacking side has lost possession of the puck to the defending side,

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I've been a fan for 30 years and I've had my time of blindly following the team through the "anything can happen" moments. They don't excite me anymore to be fair and I'm desperate for us to actually be a contender year in and year out like Chicago, Los Angeles, etc.

We have such an opportunity with this new core of young players. I can't remember the last time we've had such a promising future at center, but we have to do it right and not try to rush it. I understand fans want to win but look at the big picture instead of immediate satisfaction.

If we can grab a star in the draft this year, added to Suzuki / Kotkaniemi, Danault in a shutdown role, Caufield coming, Romanov and our huge group of defensive prospects, we can really do damage in the next 3-5 years. But we can't rush it. We have a lot to do still - we need size and better defense so we have to shuffle the deck chairs around a little.

So when fans say "I can't believe people cheer for their team to lose" or "you can't trade Tatar, Domi and Drouin because you won't be able to compete now" I shake my head. We're not cheering to lose or tank, we're cheering for the potential of a future Cup.

Great post and I completely agree.

Imagine adding Lafreniere to this group. We already have a great group of U21 players and Laffy would immediately be the best of them (potential wise). Things could really be looking up for the Habs

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
But what about this part of the rule:
by the Referee to allow play to continue until the attacking side has lost possession of the puck to the defending side,​

And you have to add more to "just" that part, IF the ref blew a soft whistle TO allow play to keep going
but WHY the ref would do that begs questioning, and we dont know if he even did do that

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
And you have to add more to "just" that part, IF the ref blew a soft whistle TO allow play to keep going
but WHY the ref would do that begs questioning, and we dont know if he even did do that

But even if a penalty shot is to be called the defending team has to gain possession before the play is called dead.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Great post and I completely agree.

Imagine adding Lafreniere to this group. We already have a great group of U21 players and Laffy would immediately be the best of them (potential wise). Things could really be looking up for the Habs
I wish I could pin that post so everyone who complains about people who “want to lose” actually understand where we’re coming from

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don’t recall the Cups from 39-45 during WWII having any asterisks - lots of top end players were out fighting the war vs playing hockey?

I look at Leafs (2-Cups), Bruins (2-Cups), Wings/NYR/Habs each with 1-Cup but no asterisk

It's a metaphorical asterisk. Especially in the modern era. Best of 5 series, losing teams that never would have been in the playoffs, no home ice, empty arenas, different OT rules for different tiers..

There are multiple asterisks if you open your eyes.

Reactions: Rapala

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Why do you think Hudon is better offensively than Weal?

The only thing Weal has over hudon offensively is skating. Hudon has a better shot, better passer, and is more creative.

Hudon also scored 30 pts in his rookie season, and Weals career high is 21 pts.

I like Weal as a 4th liner, but Hudon would likely work better with Domi.

Reactions: LaP

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yeah you say that but , it wont, there are a number of instances of irregular Stanley Cup "wins" throughout history and winning the cup is winning the cup every single time and is remembered as such.
Because people are disgusted at losing a chance FOR a chance at 1st overall pick and they can divert that negative energy to disparaging winning a championship lol and thats fine , but its quite fascinating. Im not saying dont hope to lose, BUT there are even different groups IN that "hope to lose" mentality, with some people just brushing off this entire tournament because they are tunnel-visioned primarily on that 12.5% chance now.
YOU'll have an asterisk next to it maybe, if for some reason you have a paper with a list of the 100 cup winners and you like to put footnotes next to some of them, then hey good on you, you most likely wont be the only one.
Put asterisks next to the 1980 through 1986 Cup winners too while you're at it, those years the first rounds were best of 5's.

But for people just happy hockeys back:

If we win, great.
If we lose, great.

You're making assumptions about me personally that you really shouldn't. I've been a Habs fan much longer than most here.

There are a lot of inconsistencies and oddities in this years playoffs. I outlined some in a recent post. I'd be happier if the format wasn't so unbalanced. If be happier if there was a mini tournament for only the teams who still had a chance when the season was halted.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad