Post-Game Talk: His name is Jeff!! Habs win 3-2 in OT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
it's not only 12.5% to get Lafreniere, there's a SIGNIFICANT drop between 9 and 15, even 9 and 10. I can't wrap my head around the people who'd rather win the play ins and get stomped in the playoffs then get a top 6 player that can help this for several years and actually having a chance to get out of this mediocrity we've been stuck in for so long. it's like people are so use to it, they don't care. they would rather watch an other week of hockey rather than wait and actually watch legit hockey for years. it's crazy how a single draft pick could equilibrate this team.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I mean amazing players transform below average players by far.
That was my point , sorry i was not clear .
I knew what you meant, but your statement in no way rebuts mine that he is the second-best winger on that team, and the margin between him and the first is minuscule this year. Moreover, ask yourself why the coach plays such a winger with a Malkin or a Crosby, especially if he does not have a reputation for playing favorites, the way Therrien did, including when he coached the Pens.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I knew what you meant, but your statement in no way rebuts mine that he is the second-best winger on that team, and the margin between him and the first is minuscule this year. Moreover, ask yourself why the coach plays such a winger with a Malkin or a Crosby, especially if he does not have a reputation for playing favorites, the way Therrien did, including when he coached the Pens.
I mean Rust was considered a third liner like last season. I know that the pens wingers are not that great but still. I don't think i would place Rust second. But like i said thats my opinion. I think hes having fun with Malkin and Crosby depending on shifts.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Yeah because if they didn't play today they would stop developing all together...:laugh:
You know what's really good for career development? Playing with elite talent and having a bonafide nucleus of young skilled players...

Yeah losing intentionally to get a 1/8 shot at a player who might not even be the saviour is really a great way to run your organization. Boston never had to truly tank in the past 15 years because they built a class organization with great vets who groom the next generation of youngsters. What is the point of getting a really good player if the atmosphere is toxic from losing (i.e Edmonton)

Reactions: Schooner Guy

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Interesting to think what kind of difference Kovalchuk, Cousins, Thompson, Scandella, Peca, and Reilly might have made. I'm still happy with the picks (3rd, 4th, 5th, 2nd & 4th, 7th & Luchuk, 5th & Sturtz) + more ice time for our younger guys in the playoffs.

Aside from Kovy, the rest would have just diluted the ice times. If Thompson was there, Suzuki would probably play less and KK probably doesn't even play.

Reactions: 417

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Oh it will never happen with this coach for sure. It makes sense to me though, but what do I know. I really would love to understand how Weise, Weal and Ouellet make the team better though. I honestly can't wrap my head around it.

Honestly we always see these young kids as capable of just slotting in to regular roles but in real life they are mostly shitting their pants at the idea. They are very young kids. At their age I seriously was very f***ing childish still. Can't just give them so much responsibility in such a boom or bust scenario.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Honestly we always see these young kids as capable of just slotting in to regular roles but in real life they are mostly shitting their pants at the idea. They are very young kids. At their age I seriously was very f***ing childish still. Can't just give them so much responsibility in such a boom or bust scenario.
Disagree...

You watch Dale Weise tonight? He played like be was terrified of making a mistake.

If a young player is capable, there's nothing wrong with giving them additional responsibilities.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs played pretty poorly with the exception of Price, Weber and Petry. Looked rusty unable to connect on passes. Game got better in the 3rd. Hard to get a eead off this game. Domi was invisible on the 4th line. Weird that he is there.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
To each his own. I don't necessarily agree that by winning the play ins you'll get stomped in the playoffs. There are worse teams than the Penguins like Columbus, Leafs, Hurricanes Rangers, Islanders etc that can make it through. The Pens had 86 points, beating them is no easy feat.

You are missing out on some logic here. If we get through the Pens we aren't going to face any of the teams you mentioned. Try Boston Washington or Tampa. :huh:
Besides that Carolina Columbus and probably NYI would stifle us no doubt.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I mean Rust was considered a third liner like last season. I know that the pens wingers are not that great but still. I don't think i would place Rust second. But like i said thats my opinion. I think hes having fun with Malkin and Crosby depending on shifts.
He was also young and growing into the NHL game, as well as stuck behind Guentzel and Hornqvist for PP time, the latter because he fits a profile the coach likes on the PP, complementary to the Crosbys and Malkins. Who is your #2 winger on that team then? I see him as better than Zucker right now: at least equal in goal scoring, to be charitable to Zucker, and much better at playmaking. That leaves no one. Hornqvist? Not lately. Plus Rust has been eating into his PP time, as his talent revealed itself. Thus, easily top-6, and arguably a top-line caliber, on a team like ours.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Disagree...

You watch Dale Weise tonight? He played like be was terrified of making a mistake.

If a young player is capable, there's nothing wrong with giving them additional responsibilities.

I don't think the coaching staff sees it that way.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Did I read that properly? :skeptic:
Great-Dane-On-White-01.jpg

Speaking of which where is our poster who used this name?

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I don't see the hype for Fleury and Poehling. They were trash this year. Season them in the AHL until they can dominate.
Poehling would already be ok on the wing, but they want him to develop at center, which is the right thing long term. Ceiling is low, maybe a third line center like Eller. Fleury on the other hand, I don't see more than a #5 or 6 in him. I don't see the hype either. I wouldn't say they were trash, but that they have been tested. You have to know what you got.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I can definitely live with 16th (vs 9) and seeing the team advance to the next round and possibly beyond. Would hurt if Pens win the lottery but there's a 87.5% chance that won't happen

Imagine a 25% chance that Laffy will be on the wing with either McDavid or Crosby! Let's take it a step further and make it a 37.5% chance that Laffy plays with one of McDavid, Crosby or Matthews.

Reactions: bsl

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Yeah losing intentionally to get a 1/8 shot at a player who might not even be the saviour is really a great way to run your organization. Boston never had to truly tank in the past 15 years because they built a class organization with great vets who groom the next generation of youngsters. What is the point of getting a really good player if the atmosphere is toxic from losing (i.e Edmonton)

When did I say anything about losing intentionally? We can't emulate Boston because we don't hire the most qualified people at the top of the organization. We've been stuck on neutral for 25 years , with no top forwards drafted. The lesson to learn from Edmonton/Buffalo is not that lottery picks don't lead to success but that bad management with poor vision can sink any team no matter how many promising prospects fall in their laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad