Post-Game Talk: His name is Al Montoya, he beat the Pens, prepare to cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And we saw the same thing when he was traded here last season. We'll see how long it lasts. He's a better fit for a slower team that operates off the cycle though.

He had no clue how to read off of 87/71.

It was hard to find them on the ice through that creepy Pascal Dupuis mask the team was forcing him to wear.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
that "Perron Hot Streak" coincided with the only ****ing time Perron was on Sid's left wing.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
To be fair if only production decides who is our best LW, we traded him for Hagelin. I know that Perron played really really bad for long stretches with us, but he still outproduced Kunitz, who (in my opinion) plays even worse.

If we want to defend Kunitz, we should move on to +/- (aka the Steigy scale) and the fact that Sidney Crosby is terrible defensively if Kunitz doesn't play the opponent to a draw. :sarcasm:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Alas, you're absolutely right.

Perron has 13 points with the Ducks.
Kunitz has 26 points all year.

Someone set me on fire.

But can he play the opposition to a draw?

And this stupid "We don't have better" argument is infuriating. How do you know? We've never even given anyone else a legit shot for more than a handful of periods.

****, if Kunitz got demoted after a period or three of **** hockey with Crosby, he'd never have seen the first line again after the Olympics.

As long as we never try anybody else and Kunitz keeps putting up mediocre numbers in a role that Andy Hilbert scored at a PPG clip in, people will keep spouting it like it's true.

It'd be interesting to see how Kunitz would produce with the TOI and opportunity our other options have, and vice-versa. Really would. Too bad that idea will never get beyond the theoretical stage.

And we saw the same thing when he was traded here last season. We'll see how long it lasts. He's a better fit for a slower team that operates off the cycle though.

He had no clue how to read off of 87/71.

Yet he still managed to produce better than Kunitz playing on his wrong side and/or in an unsuitable role. I wonder how he'd have produced if he'd had a shot at that plum #1LW spot?

But we'll never know, because we decided it was better to dismiss it out of hand based on advanced stats people used to argue that Bennett would never work with Crosby (swish), then trade him and glibly chalk up all his newfound success to a "better fit".

What people who console themselves with that thought fail to acknowledge is that without having explored the most obvious spot for him, that can't ever be said definitively.

Last edited:

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Anyone arguing that Kunitz isn't our best LW are kidding themselves.

I think that speaks way more towards this team's depth than the skill of Chris Kunitz as a 37 year old.

He isn't, because Hagelin is certainly a better player than he is. Better skater, at worst equal defensively, better passer and his hands are less stone (but still not great).

Still, we're in trouble if Hagelin is our best LW, but Kunitz certainly isn't, regardless of how many corpse points he puts up.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Because our other options are career 3rd liner Hagelin and AHLers. You could try Rust up there, but I'm not sure that's the right move as he's actually looking good where he is playing.

Also, statistically, advanced stats or not Kunitz is crushing every other one of our LWs. Except the one we traded for scraps.

If advanced stats say that Perron played better here than Hagelin has, then that's a pretty good indicator not to trust advanced stats.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think this is right, someone can correct me if I'm wrong: Perron has put up 1/2 of Kunitz's point totals for the year.

Since arriving in Anaheim.

You can flip those names, change "arriving" to "Perron arrived" and it's still true. All this really does is underscore that Perron is horrible. One way "skill player" in his prime needs his linemates to bank pucks in off his skates to be able to merely match the point production of a washed up old man. And this is the best he can do in a contract year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You can flip those names, change "arriving" to "Perron arrived" and it's still true. All this really does is underscore that Perron is horrible. One way "skill player" in his prime needs his linemates to bank pucks in off his skates to be able to merely match the point production of a washed up old man. And this is the best he can do in a contract year.

That was this one, right?:

https://streamable.com/js1i

I mean, that obviously doesn't compare with Kunitz's Herculean contributions on every single point he earns.

And Perron didn't "match" Kunitz's production. He outproduced him, remember? While Kunitz was in his comfy #1LW recliner and Perron was playing on his wrong side and/or in the wrong role.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think this is right, someone can correct me if I'm wrong: Perron has put up 1/2 of Kunitz's point totals for the year.

Since arriving in Anaheim.

Alas, you're absolutely right.

Perron has 13 points with the Ducks.
Kunitz has 26 points all year.

Someone set me on fire.

I can play, too.

Last 13 games Kunitz has done 6-7 for 13 points

Kunitz = 6-7-13
Perron = 6-7-13

Both at a PPG

Twins...! (!@#$..%) I mean whipping boys....!

You all must be so proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad