Post-Game Talk: His name is Al Montoya, he beat the Pens, prepare to cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
"bowing in worship" for scoring a goal in a hockey game?

I wish someone else would have done that. Might have gotten 2 points instead of one.

Look, I have no love for Kunitz (look at my avatar and details), but he single-handedly got us that point, no matter what other crap he did that game.

He has value - we just got to find some other sucker... I mean team, to think so too so we can finally trade him.

I'm not holding my breath, however.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I wish someone else would have done that. Might have gotten 2 points instead of one.

Look, I have no love for Kunitz (look at my avatar and details), but he single-handedly got us that point, no matter what other crap he did that game.

He has value - we just got to find some other sucker... I mean team, to think so too so we can finally trade him.

It's one game where he really didn't play well but thankfully he came through and we got a point. I don't see a reason to sing his praises long term, but when I go in the post game thread and the reaction is "Oh god now they'll never get rid of him," I mean that's just stupid.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Scoring a goal doesn't single handedly get us a point. It scores a goal which aids in getting a point. Fleury not letting up another goal helped them get a point. Dumo playing solid defense helped them get a point. You get the idea.

He scored a goal on a nice shot. Good for him and the team. On the whole, he didn't play particularly well. I'll take the goal though.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Say what you want about Kunitz (and you can say a LOT), but he's the sole reason we got a point last game.

If that were any other player on the team doing that, you guys would be bowing in worship of said player.

That doesn't excuse him for all the other crap he does all game long, but that was an epic move and snipe.

I don't think that's fair. Kessel scored the only goal against Carolina while creating chances for his linemates and putting up shot after shot. My memory might be false but I can't think of anyone bowing in worship for him. And Kessel actually played good against Carolina.
Kunitz had a terrible game. And they are piling up again since he looked decent while Sid played out of his mind.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think that's fair. Kessel scored the only goal against Carolina while creating chances for his linemates and putting up shot after shot. My memory might be false but I can't think of anyone bowing in worship for him. And Kessel actually played good against Carolina.
Kunitz had a terrible game. And they are piling up again since he looked decent while Sid played out of his mind.

Here I was under the impression that was how it is supposed to work.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
if Lovejoy decapitated Fleury, but in the process of doing so, Fleury's aimless head knocked the puck into the net and scored the only goal for the Pens, is that like, a good play?

Asking for my sanity.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
if Lovejoy decapitated Fleury, but in the process of doing so, Fleury's aimless head knocked the puck into the net and scored the only goal for the Pens, is that like, a good play?

Asking for my sanity.

I'm guessing because it's Fleury scoring off his head is into the Pens net.

I'm gonna go with, no.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA

Asking for my sanity.

In the context of getting us a goal that helps us win the game, then yes.

In the larger context of not having Fleury play games for us (or be alive, for that matter), then no.

The larger context wins out every time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's nice that he threw a puck on net and it happened to go in (let's not pretend that he stole the puck, went coast to coast and undressed the goalie or something, it was a nondescript shot in desperation as the game winded down), but he also played a completely ****ing garbage other 59+ minutes of the game.

If Geno played like complete garbage and happened to fire a hope and a prayer on net and it went in, I'd be just as hard on him. Sid too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nice to know that a player can earn points for his team all by himself by scoring a fluky goal despite having an otherwise lousy game.

Maybe, just maybe, if he wasn't crap the rest of the game and converted on the numerous chances his linemate created, it wouldn't have been a 1-0 game at that point?

Reminds me of all the talk about how Craig Adams was a key component of the PK and thus needed to play every game, citing the shotblock he made that kept the score tied. Never mind that the PK does well without him, or that he's lousy for 90% of the game.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Say what you want about Kunitz (and you can say a LOT), but he's the sole reason we got a point last game.

If that were any other player on the team doing that, you guys would be bowing in worship of said player.

That doesn't excuse him for all the other crap he does all game long, but that was an epic move and snipe.

Calling Kunitz the sole reason they got a point last game is just plain asinine. Crosby was in god mode but Kunitz was so bad the whole game that the line basically created very little offense. This guy is so bad he shuts down the best hockey player on the planet at the top of his game and we are supposed to give him sole credit for the game going to overtime because he scored a flukey goal? Give me a ****ing break.

As far as (cough, cough) certain posters go: I think it's not worth communicating with an individual who thinks a lazy top line winger on pace for 17 goals and 40 points is the heart and soul of the team.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
"on pace for 17 goals and 40 points is the heart and soul of the team."
....while being handed on a platter, every shift with the best player in the world largely in Beast Mode plus prime PP1 minutes.

Never mind that a half decent LW might have buried 2-3 of the perfect setups Sid handed him and we walk away with a 3-1 win , no need for OT.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You know how people often only remember the good times when thinking about their exes? People talking about departed players that used to play here remind me of that.

Yeah Neal was a sniper in every sense of the word and he was a big help. He also took penalties whenever he felt like it and disappeared in the playoffs often, because it required him to actually get off his ass and work to create space. If we reversed that trade everyone would be singing the blues about how "Hornqvist may have scored less, but he has 1000x more heart than Real Deal. That's what we need on this team."

Long story short, every season is going to be either wishing we had Neal back or gushing over Hornqvist depending on how they perform in a given year. Everyone loved the trade last year. Make up your mind.

I guarantee you that everyone did not love that trade last year.

I only came to terms with it when we got Kessel, because I think we need a sniper. The problem is that so far, Kessel's more expensive and less effective than Neal.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
He's our most productive. Tough to argue otherwise right now.

He's our most productive winger because the organization has never even deemed it necessary to replace him.

Over all these years, regardless of who they pick up via FA or at the trade deadline, whatever move they make to add scoring wingers is NEVER made with the thought of replacing Kunitz in mind, no matter how old he gets and no matter how much he's slowed down.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think this is right, someone can correct me if I'm wrong: Perron has put up 1/2 of Kunitz's point totals for the year.

Since arriving in Anaheim.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I suppose it's fine to be satisfied or happy with a guy playing like **** for 59 minutes and getting a goal by essentially closing his eyes and flinging the puck at the net. Sure, that's production, and sure it helped us get a point. But hey, that's all that matters, right? Had he shot the puck high, every single person (deranged idiots aside) would be grabbing their torches and pitchforks in preparation of a public stoning of the guy after that game.

But again, one shot for a loser's point and we forgive an entire game's worth of laziness, idiocy, piss-poor puck management and botched plays. That's the still lingering resonance of the Shero/Bylsma era.

For the record, I and many others are not willing to "look past" his 59 minutes of **** play because of his goal simply because it doesn't mean a ****ing thing in the grand scheme of things. You think Kunitz is going to help this team surge up the standings and into the playoffs? You think he's gonna be a key contributor in the post-season? You think he's going to be an important and effective player for us moving forward? He's not, to any of that.

**** Kunitz, and **** this organization for putting him on some kind of pedestal and labeling him an integral part of this team when he is, in fact, one of the main villains in this team's spiral over the past couple of seasons.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think this is right, someone can correct me if I'm wrong: Perron has put up 1/2 of Kunitz's point totals for the year.

Since arriving in Anaheim.

Alas, you're absolutely right.

Perron has 13 points with the Ducks.
Kunitz has 26 points all year.

Someone set me on fire.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
And this stupid "We don't have better" argument is infuriating. How do you know? We've never even given anyone else a legit shot for more than a handful of periods.

****, if Kunitz got demoted after a period or three of **** hockey with Crosby, he'd never have seen the first line again after the Olympics.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
And we saw the same thing when he was traded here last season. We'll see how long it lasts. He's a better fit for a slower team that operates off the cycle though.

He had no clue how to read off of 87/71.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad