Post-Game Talk: Hire a PP "Consultant"

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Forgot to add: Do the Rangers make Tomas Vokoun look like the best goaltender that ever lived, or am I just seeing things.

Every damn time he's in goal, the Rangers can't score, even if they get 50 shots.

I hate that guy.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Seriously though, what is the issue in bringing in another assistant coach whose sole job is to scout the next opponent's penalty kill, and implement it on the Rangers power play.

Okay, Torts doesn't like having too many coaches on the bench, that's fine, this guy doesn't need to be on the bench during any game. Stick his ass in the locker room in front of a ****ing television, and let him make some in game adjustments, something Torts is allergic too unless it comes to line shuffling.

This new coach/consultant can be on the ice at practice, work on the PP for 20 minutes extra every day. It's ****ing broken, and with the firepower and offensive power they have, there's no excuse.

Think about it, how many times a game do we see our PKers fatigued as **** because they've been on the ice too long during a PK? At least once a game. And how many times do we see the opposition PKers too tired because the Rangers have had puck possession AND MOVEMENT in the offensive zone? Never.

I don't like Tortorella, I never have. I'm not advocating firing him, or Sullivan for that matter. But for ****s sake, get over yourself, and bring someone in to help out.

Three power play goals all season? What a ****ing joke.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Tampa's going to **** us.

Torts is a good coach, especially for the Rangers of 2 years ago. THIS isn't the team for him though

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I don't understand the blame Stepan gets. I really don't.

I'm the last one to call out players but he was horrific tonight. Every time he got the puck he flubbed it or would be off and about and not involved. It's was blatant.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Whatever they do in practice needs to change. They need to spend some time to work on passing and shooting. NOTHING ELSE

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
who knows.. maybe its Pittsburgh. maybe we just **** the bed vs them all the ****ing time. We seemed to do OK the last 2 games. even the game we didn't score on Philly, we played alot damn better.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
There were 3 obvious personnel flaws in this team last year that were not addressed.

1) Lack of scoring up and down the lineup (it's even worse this year now that we have less depth)

2) Slow and lumbering 4th line that gets outskated and outplayed by other team's 4th lines

3) No legitimate 6th defenseman (it's been over a year now)

While Torts definitely deserves some blame for things like the PP, the aforementioned problems should have been addressed by Slats.

Also, this team's success is also highly dependent on the continued development of our young players. If someone like Stepan is struggling, there is no one capable of stepping in and playing 2nd line center. We lost a lot of versatility with the departure of Anisimov, Dubi, and Feds.

Maaxse

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
Having 4 Too Many Men penalties in 7 games is amateurish. I hope it's not a symptom of a bigger problem.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
Some of you overvalue the talent on this team.

Torts overachieved with our group last year. We added one good piece and let the grinders walk. Nash, that was our solution.

On average, this season, the forecheck does not remotely resemble last season's version.

Our forecheck left in the offseason. Those guys took the body, Rupp can barely ****ing skate, Boyle's pretty worthless without Prust going 100 miles an hour.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm the last one to call out players but he was horrific tonight. Every time he got the puck he flubbed it or would be off and about and not involved. It's was blatant.

Being homegrown is like a get out of jail free card for some people. Stepan was largely bad in the playoffs and he's been bad so far this season. Calling it like I see it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
hahaha looks like we're a loss or two away from another fire torts threads.

Torts coached the team last year. The team played the same system last year. Gaborik has scored goals like a monster since he came here. I'm sick of hearing about how torts and the system are ruining the team and how nobody can come here and score. Cheap excuses. The Pens have always given this team fits, and they played terrible tonight.

BB58

Dec 26, 2010
Cave

Torts overachieved with our group last year. We added one good piece and let the grinders walk. Nash, that was our solution.

I'm starting to believe he caught lightning in a bottle last year until ECF.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

This offense was just fine when they didnt do the dump and chase ******** against Boston and Toronto..

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Seriously though, what is the issue in bringing in another assistant coach whose sole job is to scout the next opponent's penalty kill, and implement it on the Rangers power play.

Okay, Torts doesn't like having too many coaches on the bench, that's fine, this guy doesn't need to be on the bench during any game. Stick his ass in the locker room in front of a ****ing television, and let him make some in game adjustments, something Torts is allergic too unless it comes to line shuffling.

This new coach/consultant can be on the ice at practice, work on the PP for 20 minutes extra every day. It's ****ing broken, and with the firepower and offensive power they have, there's no excuse.

Think about it, how many times a game do we see our PKers fatigued as **** because they've been on the ice too long during a PK? At least once a game. And how many times do we see the opposition PKers too tired because the Rangers have had puck possession AND MOVEMENT in the offensive zone? Never.

I don't like Tortorella, I never have. I'm not advocating firing him, or Sullivan for that matter. But for ****s sake, get over yourself, and bring someone in to help out.

His circle of trust is small.

TrueBlue9

Apr 23, 2007
the only people who won here were the parents of a small child they were trying to get to sleep

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree, I just don't think stacking the top line is the solution either...

Right now I dont think theres an alternative. 2 of the big 3 can work together, but the other one will be left alone and dragged down, and will be rendered useless. Look how invisible Gaborik was when he was the odd man out the first couple games.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

:handclap: This is what we need. And while the PP coach would probably work well if he were on the bench too, it's OK if he's not.

We just need someone who knows how to run a damn power play in this league, because it's really excruciating to sit through. They take 50 seconds trying to get into the opponent's zone, they dump and chase, I've seen them ice it on the flower play. ****sburgh plays a very aggressive PK. In theory, that should mean that if they move the puck quickly and precisely, they will find open lanes and take advantage of them. Instead, they all take 5 hours to think about what they're doing next, nobody one-times anything, and it's easy for the PK'ers to clear and get off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad