Injury Report: Hinostroza is Week to Week - Raanta out Indefinitely as of 12/9

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
O

Yeah attack the messenger rather than just admit your message was incorrect. I don't know anywhere near everything but I do know that players from opposing teams are friends and were sometimes once teammates. They go for dinners when in same City. You would have to be rather naive to think they don't discuss each other's team. And if you think media guys around the room every single day don't see what is happening????

No. I would think they wouldn’t want to compromise their team by divulging that type of information. But I’m sure you’re a team doctor or equipment manager or something like that. Good luck to you buddy. I’m out.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So let's look into this injury thing a bit more dispassionately.
From a player's position, if he has a particular injury that makes it painful to make a certain move, he won't want it known. If a player's wrist is hurt and he can't take a wrist shot with the enough power, he won't want his opponents overplaying the pass. If he has trouble with a particular leg, he won't want an opponent to always force him to expose it when cutting.

I can't imagine a player telling his buddy on the opposing team "Hey, I have some trouble pivoting left." over dinner, or "My left elbow is swollen" as this would lead the opposing player to realize that his friend won't be taking any backhand shots.

Also, private knowledge of injuries gives insiders an advantage when making bets.

Reactions: doaner

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
From a player's position, if he has a particular injury that makes it painful to make a certain move, he won't want it known. If a player's wrist is hurt and he can't take a wrist shot with the enough power, he won't want his opponents overplaying the pass. If he has trouble with a particular leg, he won't want an opponent to always force him to expose it when cutting.

I can't imagine a player telling his buddy on the opposing team "Hey, I have some trouble pivoting left." over dinner, or "My left elbow is swollen" as this would lead the opposing player to realize that his friend won't be taking any backhand shots.

Also, private knowledge of injuries gives insiders an advantage when making bets.
He generally speaking won't be playing until said injury is healed so the other stuff doesn't matter. I'd be willing to bet there are people on this site who know what the injuries are. I really Can't believe people think opponent's don't know what someone is hurting from and where??

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He generally speaking won't be playing until said injury is healed so the other stuff doesn't matter. I'd be willing to bet there are people on this site who know what the injuries are. I really Can't believe people think opponent's don't know what someone is hurting from and where??
Players play through injuries all the time. OEL and his hand, Doan and his knee. Wilson and his brain.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Players play through injuries all the time. OEL and his hand, Doan and his knee. Wilson and his brain.
And you think no opponents knew OEL had a hand injury? Or Doan a knee? Everyone knows about Wilson so I won't even question that . TSN as an example does a video piece on every relevant player after they miss time and point out where and when it happened. There are few secrets in today's game.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

Exactly!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
They go for dinners when in same City.

This is also why I just don't think the vast majority of NHL players are as vicious as is suggested around injuries. I'm quite sure it happens sometimes, I'm sure Milan Lucic would have no qualms about targeting an injured body part. But it's nothing like the 90's and before.

Reactions: doaner

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This is also why I just don't think the vast majority of NHL players are as vicious as is suggested around injuries. I'm quite sure it happens sometimes, I'm sure Milan Lucic would have no qualms about targeting an injured body part. But it's nothing like the 90's and before.
The games I watch these days are closer to a pillow fight than hockey in the 80's. The hit totals I sometimes look up to give myself a good laugh. Very very few Nhl'ers are trying to hurt anyone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The games I watch these days are closer to a pillow fight than hockey in the 80's. The hit totals I sometimes look up to give myself a good laugh. Very very few Nhl'ers are trying to hurt anyone.
All these lawsuits waiting to happen has changed the game of hockey to the point it's almost figure skaters with a puck. Nowadays, if you can skate fast, you can play in the NHL. Give me back the old NHL any day of the week. Living in Edmonton in the 80"s when the Oilers had a real rivalry with Calgary, both cities would get so worked up waiting for the game. There were hits, fights and more hits. That was entertainment, not watching these figure skaters seeing who can skate the fastest. Most of the posters on this board will probably disagree because they were too young to witness the sport in it's prime. Thanks to the attorneys and all these lawsuits has turned the NHL into a cream puff league.

Reactions: Llama19

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Hits still happen, it’s just the natural progression of teams favouring the players who more directly contribute to scoring/winning. As a whole the league is way faster with better skaters and quicker decision-making leading to it being harder to hit some one who moves so well and makes the decision fast enough to get the puck up the ice to some one safer that trying to make a hit puts you out of position and gives the opposing side a numbers advantage.

If the opportunity appears you may see a hit, but additionally you have to think that a lot of players are more concerned with not getting caught out of position so they are more reticent to go for the hit than play it safe and get back. Also, big hitters don’t make the league because of their hitting prowess; that’s a tertiary or quaternary skill at best.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It used to be that people moved to the desert for allergy relief, but apparently that doesn't work anymore.

Xum34Yg.png

Hockey Injury News and Analysis - Rotoworld.com

Reactions: Jakey53 and Murf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad