Hilarious Whipping Boy Poll!

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
When was the last time that ACTUALLY happened?? He hit Hemsky for a hit on himself. Benn wasn't a sticking up for a teammate fight, neither was Mackinnon. Neither was his last one with Clarkson. Getzlaf picked him to go after. It's been at least 3 years since Ericsson stuck up for someone else.....

I had something from last season in mind, but don't fully recall it, tbh. Could be wrong.

Well, then this vs. Nolan has to be the last one and my perception wasn't accurate. Mea culpa.

Last edited:

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I had something from last season in mind, but don't fully recall it, tbh. Could be wrong.

Well, then this vs. Nolan has to be the last one and my perception wasn't accurate. Mea culpa.

No problem man. I remember that, that was at least 2 seasons ago as Nesty was on the team. He's had one incident with it in at least 3 seasons then. That's why I said he used to be physical but now he really isn't anymore. He jumped Brule for a hit on Datsyuk which is def. the most memorable. That was in 2010 : (

I wish he would step up more.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Helm. I strongly believe it was time to go our seperate ways during the offseason and bringing him back (overpaid as well) helped shove Mantha back in the AHL along with the signing of Miller and Ott. Ericsson is a close second and im sure Smith will go back to his old ways but atm, its Helm.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
Helm. I strongly believe it was time to go our seperate ways during the offseason and bringing him back (overpaid as well) helped shove Mantha back in the AHL along with the signing of Miller and Ott. Ericsson is a close second and im sure Smith will go back to his old ways but atm, its Helm.

People are infuriated by the Helm signing. Absolutely red-arsed. Off the chains.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ericsson is our whipping boy.

Helm is a new candidate with his contract. Abby same deal. And let's not forget Brendan Smith will be taking on an expanded role this year!

People might be disappointed with our scorers like Tatar and Nyquist, but it's going to take many seasons of angst to catch up to Ericsson.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
E is the first impression choice, but to me whipping boy implies that he's a person that gets hated on even though it may be unjust.

E is just terrible and DESERVES every ounce of disdain we can possibly muster as a fanbase.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Zetterberg. His usefulness and points will nowhere near match his skill ability or his usage time by Blashill. Playing like a 3rd/4th liner getting 20minutes a night and main PP unit topping out with 40 point campaign despite all his opportunities.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not really expecting anything out of Big E.

Helm on the other hand doesn't have his body falling apart. He also has a brutal contract like Big E and promises of top 9 ice time, when I think at some point it will be clear he should be on the fourth line and Miller/Ott (I prefer Miller sitting more) should be alternating some games out of the lineup.

I also think they might urge Ericsson to get surgery or accept being scratched if he is struggling hard. Again I don't think Helm's role is going to be reduced. Maybe the Nyquist and Vanek connection can carry him out of disappointment realm.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Big E no question. Was thinking helm is up there but I actually like helm on a bottom 6 role. Howard is a great pick, I almost want to change my pick to him because it's so easy to hate the guy.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I voted Howard but immediatelly regretted it. Mine should really be Helm with Howard coming second. Sorry guys but I just can't hate Ericsson.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Z. No questions asked. From game 26+ onward he is gonna ****ing suck goat balls. And unlike Stevie he has no talent around him to stop the hate he is gonna get when he is a hobbled man getting stuck on the farm with no hands to pick up the tolls and finish the work.

Big E is just a cop out. Really everything that is wrong with this team and your gonna complain about a #5/6 who was a good 3/4 until injuries broke him?

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
People will mostly target ericsson, Smith and Howard whether it's deserved or not.

But the real whipping boys should be z, helm and kronwall. Overpaid and will be overplayed for what they are.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Not really expecting anything out of Big E.

Helm on the other hand doesn't have his body falling apart. He also has a brutal contract like Big E and promises of top 9 ice time, when I think at some point it will be clear he should be on the fourth line and Miller/Ott (I prefer Miller sitting more) should be alternating some games out of the lineup.

I also think they might urge Ericsson to get surgery or accept being scratched if he is struggling hard. Again I don't think Helm's role is going to be reduced. Maybe the Nyquist and Vanek connection can carry him out of disappointment realm.

I second that about E. I think he'll be decent on the bottom pairing where he belongs. The only thing to dislike is his contract to be a #5 d-man. I disagree about Helm' body not falling apart as he is usually lost until the holiday break after the 1st shift of the 1st game. The dude is peanut brittle. Thusly, an excellent choice to heap our vitriol upon.

I can't grasp the criticisms of Z. He had a surgery on his spine that could potentially leave someone in a walker and unable to control their bladder but has still played at a high level. I don't doubt he'll still be a factor. It's a bit unfair to compare him to the days before a chunk of spine was drilled away.

I'll go way outside the box and say Mrazek becomes the whipping boy if they miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Ericsson is my whipping boy.

I don't have a problem with Helm as a player. I think I resent Holland for shelling out the money to keep him. I can see him reaching Ericsson-levels of resentment over his contract but Helm's not playing on the 1st line. Ericsson got a large contract and was expected to be a top pair guy. That might just a problem how this team was built.

I think some of the guys that get the most grief are the players replacing reliable veterans from before. Frans Nielsen might some grief because he's not going to put up 80 points and be a Selke-finalist but he's still a very good replacement for Pavel.

Guys like Kronwall and Ericsson get a lot of grief because they've had to replace Lidstrom...which no player in this organization is capable of. Lidstrom is irreplaceable.

Their recent history can create inflated expectations. You can't expect Abdelkader to be Brendan Shanahan. You just want to see the best possible version of Abdelkader...which any realistic person isn't going to expect him to be a Hall-of-Famer.

Every guy on this roster, you just want to see them play their best and not slack-off. I don't think they're talented enough to have off-nights and still win games. The league is too balanced and there are too many teams with more talent than them. A mediocre team with inconsistent effort will get exposed in today's NHL.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Voted Helm because people have gone insane with hatred for this once fan-favorite player. Sad to see.

Kinda hope he will get less hate as the season goes on and people see that the speed we have up front is working for us (which I fully believe it will), in that case Ericsson will once again get 99% of hate from this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad