Hilarious Whipping Boy Poll!

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Who is your Whipping boy on the Roster to start the season.

You can only pick one, so who are you most expecting to let us down.

This is not so much about "blah blah negativity, sky is falling"
This is just to see who people doubt the most. So we can come back 1-2months later and see how wrong we were, or right we were about a specific player.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm gonna go a little unconventional and go with Abby. I personally think he doesn't belong in the top-6 and was very salty after he got his contract. I think he's just keeping other guys off the top-6 or team altogether.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't really think it's funny, but watching Ericsson play is a chore at this point.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'm gonna go a little unconventional and go with Abby. I personally think he doesn't belong in the top-6 and was very salty after he got his contract. I think he's just keeping other guys off the top-6 or team altogether.

He would be my number 2 for sure after Helm. Abby and or Helm in your top 6 is a sign that your top 6 is missing top 6 caliber players. Whip away!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not necessarily my whipping boy but Helm is a leading candidate through no fault of his own. I would've taken that contract too if someone wanted to overpay me.

But even if he performs like the player he's always been, he's still not earning that paycheck.

Otherwise I'd say Ericsson just because he's been a consistent scapegoat even when he wasn't hobbled.

Erica and it's NEC

Who's Erica?

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I voted Tatar. It's his time to step up and put some pucks in the net, Z is on the down with age and health. Someone else needs to step up and put up some offense and I think we lean heavily on Tatar and Nyquist. Given that Tats is playing top 6 and Gus is slotted to play line 3, I chose Tatar.

This year will heavily depend on Tatar, Nyquist, Larkin to produce goals I think. With secondary scoring coming from Vanek, Z, Nielsen. I say that because Z and Nielsen will be played more defensively I think.

Also we all know what Abby, Ericsson, Helm etc bring to the table.....how much more blame can we put on them? They are what they are...over paid

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Helm isn't going to live up to his contract and he'll be frustrating to watch some nights, but he still has some great games to give us and has good skills to offer.

Ericsson has nothing. He's at best a neutral. And I doubt he had a good summer if he's talking to he media about pain.

I could also see Vanek and XO ending up as co-whopping boys.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
No need to poll -- the correct answer here is ericsson. Helm probably a distant seccond, but only because of that contract holland handed to him.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Wow, this is a tough choice, so many potential options here....

Ericsson is the early favourite, but he could easily go on IR, or just as easily do OK in reduced minutes on the 3rd pairing

Helm is second favourite due to absurd contract. However, he could play really well and whilst he still wouldn't be worth what we're paying him, it will quell the complaints somewhat. But if he goes into "sit back and light cigars with all my dollar billz" mode, the hate will be uncontainable

Howard, even as a backup, is so hated by a portion of the fanbase that every.single.goal against prompts pages of complaints. Imagine if Mrazek gets injured and we see Jimmy given an extended role as a starter, and he struggles like he has for much of the last 2 seasons. Yikes.

History tells us that this board turns on former great players in an instant, once Father Time takes it toll, whatever you did for this franchise the last 10-15 years is irrelevant and forgotten. You are old, and you suck and I hate you, you useless piece of ****. Kronwall and Zetterberg could easily succumb to this level of hate with the way their bodies are declining.

Smith and Marchenko are both going to be given roles and responsibilities that they have never had before. Roles and responsibilities that they may blossom in given, the chance, or that they may find themselves completely out of their depth with. If Marchenko cannot cope with being a #2 D, this board will not forgive him for being out of his depth.

Ott/Miller/Nielsen/Vanek are all vets that have taken roster spots from Mantha and The Nephtuzzi. Whichever one of them struggles the most (and they won't all be great) will not be forgiven for this, and neither will Ken Holland

Who also is already the whipping boy for most of this board, as every post in every thread reminds us

I also fear for Blashill, as he will bear much of the blame if this roster, the worst in 25 years, fails to make the playoffs. He will carry the can for Hollands fear of making a trade or letting a vet walk.

AA/Sproul/Oullet could also catch a lot of heat if they end up playing a lot of games and aren't getting it done.

And, heaven forbid, what if Larkin suffers a Sophomore Slump???

And if Nyquist has another season like last year.......

So many choices, I can't decide!!!!!

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Helm; Helm will continue to skate fast, shoot poorly, and make too much money longer than E will stay off LTIR.

Vanek was a tempting choice, given the expectations people seem to have for him.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Tough decision... couldn't pick both Smith and Ericsson.

Went with the latter, but it could literally go either way. The only difference here is Smith still has a chance to put it together.

Ericsson is simply trying to keep it from falling apart.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Ericsson has the spot on lock for opening night, but Gator will end up overtaking him by the end of the season when he doesn't break 40 points.

Helm and E will battle for 2nd.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Wow, this is a tough choice, so many potential options here....

Ericsson is the early favourite, but he could easily go on IR, or just as easily do OK in reduced minutes on the 3rd pairing

Helm is second favourite due to absurd contract. However, he could play really well and whilst he still wouldn't be worth what we're paying him, it will quell the complaints somewhat. But if he goes into "sit back and light cigars with all my dollar billz" mode, the hate will be uncontainable

Howard, even as a backup, is so hated by a portion of the fanbase that every.single.goal against prompts pages of complaints. Imagine if Mrazek gets injured and we see Jimmy given an extended role as a starter, and he struggles like he has for much of the last 2 seasons. Yikes.

History tells us that this board turns on former great players in an instant, once Father Time takes it toll, whatever you did for this franchise the last 10-15 years is irrelevant and forgotten. You are old, and you suck and I hate you, you useless piece of ****. Kronwall and Zetterberg could easily succumb to this level of hate with the way their bodies are declining.

Smith and Marchenko are both going to be given roles and responsibilities that they have never had before. Roles and responsibilities that they may blossom in given, the chance, or that they may find themselves completely out of their depth with. If Marchenko cannot cope with being a #2 D, this board will not forgive him for being out of his depth.

Ott/Miller/Nielsen/Vanek are all vets that have taken roster spots from Mantha and The Nephtuzzi. Whichever one of them struggles the most (and they won't all be great) will not be forgiven for this, and neither will Ken Holland

Who also is already the whipping boy for most of this board, as every post in every thread reminds us

I also fear for Blashill, as he will bear much of the blame if this roster, the worst in 25 years, fails to make the playoffs. He will carry the can for Hollands fear of making a trade or letting a vet walk.

AA/Sproul/Oullet could also catch a lot of heat if they end up playing a lot of games and aren't getting it done.

And, heaven forbid, what if Larkin suffers a Sophomore Slump???

And if Nyquist has another season like last year.......

So many choices, I can't decide!!!!!
That all depends on Blashill imo. If the vets are struggling and Blash is still giving them top minutes, it's not the players fault.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Easily Ericsson. The guy sucks. He went from serviceable, smart, and an okay skater for a bigger guy to a worn down, injured, not physical, turnover, puck fumbling goof.

He sucks. And he's getting paid outrageous money for what he is.

Helm is #2 for me. Definitely. I'm sure some will diagree with my next reasoning but oh well. I hated this whole "solidify role" thing in the offseason. You got to play with PAVEL DATSYUK for years. Stop complaining. And then you get "demoted" to the third line and you are confused? Darren, that's where you belong. He never was put in a god awful position with his "role."

I also think him and Kenny had a little personal deal for that contract due to the fiancé. And that's nice of Kenny and I'm happy for Darren as a human being. In terms of the DRW, it screwed us. He was clearly asking for too much money, and Kenny stupidly gave it to him. If you really really wanted to have your life and family here, take a bit less and count your blessings the GM has a connection to your family.

Not to mention he has hands of stone and can't keep an offensive play going to save his life. He is fast, that's about it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That all depends on Blashill imo. If the vets are struggling and Blash is still giving them top minutes, it's not the players fault.

True, but Zetterberg caught a surprising amount of grief last season. And it was Blashill throwing him out there for another shift even though he was clearly out of gas.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I went with Larkin. With guys like Ericsson you have to have expectations for them to fall short of. I think Larkin plays well, but doesn't get to the level many are hoping for.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
The best part about Big E is that he won't hesitate to get his fists up in the air, when it comes to standing up for his teammates.
Other than that, I'm afraid to say that he's expandable.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
The best part about Big E is that he won't hesitate to get his fists up in the air, when it comes to standing up for his teammates.
Other than that, I'm afraid to say that he's expandable.

When was the last time that ACTUALLY happened?? He hit Hemsky for a hit on himself. Benn wasn't a sticking up for a teammate fight, neither was Mackinnon. Neither was his last one with Clarkson. Getzlaf picked him to go after. It's been at least 3 years since Ericsson stuck up for someone else.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad