Salary Cap: Highest Paid Players in 2021

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Mitch Marner earns 15M that's just crazy. He's a borderline top 20 player in the league and he's earning more than almost any other player.

Dubas is the worse negotiator of all time. That isn't up for debate. He's 0/4 on all the core players deals. He also got average value at best for muzzin and brodie who both are flawed players. If he overpay Hyman or rielly he's screwed the team for the extra 3 years to being a middle of the pack team

Matthews got everything from Dubas whole having never once been a top 10 player on his ELC. He got minimum term, got a NMC in year 5, got a 3M+ overpayment, got max Signing bonuses, got to play in a market which gets him maximum advertising revenues.

Matthews and Marner are overrated, overpaid and way too highly regarded. Both of their personalities are hard to like as a fan of the team

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Matthews brings no leadership or determination to the team and all the intangibles that go along with signing an $11 million contract. When the going gets tough, he's gone. In retrospect, it would have been better to let him go to a place where he feels more comfortable pulling his pants down in public.
I kinda agree and not at the same time but either way this still made me laugh.

Reactions: killer1980

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
JT met with 5 teams , Bos/Tampa/SJ/NY and Tor so the only reason you would say it would have been pointless for them to make an offer is you know there's no way either Bos or Tampa would offer anywhere near what he signed for .

Implicit details ? one insider comes out and says the rumor was SJ offered 13m and the rest repeat it and after a coupe of days people take it as a fact

and JT accomplish nothing on the Island other than being a very good offensive player who led his team nowhere

also i don't know why you keep acting like i'm defending M and M's contract since i've always said there overpaid

my only point is JT has the worst deal of the 3 but since people seem to believe he's unmovable they've shifted there anger for our f***ed cap to Marner/Mathews

You don't need to like John Tavares, I get it...you could also debate the merits of signing him as a UFA...I think Matthews' and Marner's deals are worse than Tavares'...Dubas had control over those RFA contracts and paid them like UFAs...Tavares was 27 when he signed with the Leafs, and had proven to be a consistent 30 plus goal scorer, 80 plus point producing #1 centre playing with lesser talent...2 Hart finalist nominations and 1 point shy of the Art Ross playing with lesser talent are not without merit...he's been top 10 in goal scoring since entering the league...he earned his contract...UFA winger Panarin got paid more than Tavares a year later, so it's quite realistic for Tavares to have been offered more than what he signed for with the Leafs. I don't expect a team like the Sharks to admit to offering $13 million for Tavares after losing out on him.

Matthews and Marner had not earned their contracts and I think it's Matthews' ludicrous contract that reset the Leafs' salary structure, and Marner's is even worse...for what Dubas paid to sign M&M, those deals should have been for 7 years at least...Dubas should be fired.

Reactions: egd27

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension

The offer sheet from the Coyotes was a very real threat, as Friedman confirms here.

"The Sportsnet insider joined Barstool Sports’ Spittin’ Chiclets podcast (warning: explicit language) on Monday and said that he believes it was the Coyotes’ intention to pry Matthews away from Toronto via the offer sheet process.
“The Toronto Maple Leafs 100% believed that if Auston Matthews got to July 1 last year, Arizona was going to offer-sheet him seven years, the max,” Friedman said. “And I’ve looked at it, and people around the league have told me they believe that to be the case.
“Nobody has said to me that’s false. I think the Leafs believed it, I think the Coyotes were going to do it and I think the league knew it. So the attitude is moving.”"

The Marner offer sheet, I agree was very unlikely but the threat of an offer sheet for Matthews was very real even if you think Arizona couldn't afford to pay him his money. Better to do your own business then have someone do it for you. If they offered him 13.5m, the 4 first round picks wouldn't have been enough for him.
Arizona can't even pay their small signing bonuses on time, how were they going to create an offer strong enough to make Auston pick them over us and our signing bonuses, endorsements, good team etc. Should have called the bluff but Dubas caved

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The Aho offer sheet was very strange. There is no way that wasn't going to get matched. And Montreal had to know this. It wasn't a stupid contract like the Marner contract. In fact, the only possible negative for Carolina is that the deal isn't longer. Its so suspicious that I would investigate it for some type of collusion between the teams because it doesn't pass the sniff test.

Reactions: Lumberg

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Aho offer sheet was very strange. There is no way that wasn't going to get matched. And Montreal had to know this. It wasn't a stupid contract like the Marner contract. In fact, the only possible negative for Carolina is that the deal isn't longer. Its so suspicious that I would investigate it for some type of collusion between the teams because it doesn't pass the sniff test.

Carolina's owner is known to be cheap...Bergevin front-loaded that offersheet contract with huge signing bonuses to Aho probably thinking Carolina wouldn't match it. I guess Bergevin has his own standards and didn't think Dubas would go bonkers with Marner's contract.

prospectwizards

Mar 24, 2021

In hindsight it seems like the point of the contract was to walk Aho to UFA, he already “signed” with Montreal once, next time Carolina doesn’t get to keep their asset unless Aho decides that they do.

“the only possible negative” seems to be the entire point of the offer sheet - to get him to the open market.

Reactions: socko

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
In hindsight it seems like the point of the contract was to walk Aho to UFA, he already “signed” with Montreal once, next time Carolina doesn’t get to keep their asset unless Aho decides that they do.

“the only possible negative” seems to be the entire point of the offer sheet - to get him to the open market.
That makes logical sense, and is evil, good work.

Reactions: prospectwizards

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2