Salary Cap: Highest Paid Players in 2021

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I provided a article from a respected insider who has gotten NHL news right before and is creditable who said Arizona was going to offer sheet him, and someone replies back with "seems to me one of company men floated this rumor to try to defend Dubas since there were many reports of GM's pissed at him for handing AM such a ridiculous cap hit for that term"

And I am the one who needs to get his facts in order.. Yikes.

The rumor you are completely relying on to spin your ridiculous story was published after the contract was signed.

Just stop.

Get your story straight and a cursory knowledge of the timeline of events before posting.

Your entire argument got dismantled by hotpaws in about a minute lol

Reactions: PromisedLand

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Of course offer sheets are an exclusive threat only to the Leafs...
yup , Dubie overpays and the insiders who work for the same company float rumors of offer sheets to defend him

also they're based out of Toronto which also happens to be the largest market and they need to come up rumors to feed the fans

while i do believe they do have inside sources and leak actual information i also believe many of the rumors are just speculation to create a buzz , for example we can use Hyman who's still unsigned

-start with talks aren't going well and it looks like he'll test the market

then look at who has cap space and a need for his type of winger

-float a rumor Edm (who has cap space , need and can use him like we do) maybe interested and might be interested in offering over 5 and possibly 6m per on a long term deal

sounds reasonable and Edm may have even told an insider he's one of the potential ufa's there interested in and then he created the story of what they may offer

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yup only exclusive to Toronto. How about when MTL offer sheeted Aho and he signed it? Going forward with the flat cap, I could see more offer sheets being thrown around if there's a good RFA and a team with cap issues.
i'd love if our players signed offer sheets that were more than reasonable based on his comparable's like Aho did , lol

horner

May 22, 2007
So did players like Rantanen and Point.
I think the article was talking about the signings for this season.
Toffoli 4.5 mil and extra he should have got 2 to 3 mil more just one example .
I agree our player are over paid by a mil the core 4.

horner

May 22, 2007
Poor excuse. The cap was flat in 09 because of the world financial crisis. It’s ignorant to assume there would never be tough times ahead. Jeff Bezos and Warren Buffet both held records amount of cash because there was every indicator of a massive recession coming. They liquidated stocks.
I agree they should thought about bad times.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
These guys are for sure gonna walk as FA's. Does anyone think Marner and Matthews are gonna resign here at reasonable rates? Does anyone think we will accomplish anything for the duration of their contracts?
That’s what I’ve been saying. I’m afraid we’re going to be looking at another rebuild in the not too distant future.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
So just because another team was willing to wreck their cap we need to beat them to it? We were absolutely stacked up front when we signed Tavares. We needed D

is Tavares 6.5 million better than Kadri?

Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson & Kapanen in the system

does this team need a forward?
I would say a replacement for Marceau.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I used to think people were exaggerating when they said "add 3 or 4 million in endorsements" for big players in Toronto. But, there it is, the actual numbers. So M and M took Dubas to the cleaners knowing that an extra 3 or 4 mil would still be coming their way.

I don't know what to say here. This is all so depressing.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Tavares has been raising the play of his wingers for years...made alot wingers alot of money.

There will be major changes if the Leafs don't make the playoffs next year or get ousted in round 1 again...let's see what happens...I'm looking forward to what the summer has in store for this team and if Dubas will make any significant moves.
I agree that changes need to be made. My fear is that Dubas will hurt this team even more (only 6 draft picks in the next 2 years), because he knows his job is on the line.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Matthews brings no leadership or determination to the team and all the intangibles that go along with signing an $11 million contract. When the going gets tough, he's gone. In retrospect, it would have been better to let him go to a place where he feels more comfortable pulling his pants down in public.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Salary: $12.3 million
Endorsements: $2.7 million
Marner has a deep roster of endorsement partners with CIBC, Land Rover, Red Bull, Amazon Canada and Intact Insurance—most have ties to his charity, Marner Assist Fund. In July, he joined the ownership group of OverActive Media, which has esports franchises in the Overwatch League and the Call of Duty League.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Matthews brings no leadership or determination to the team and all the intangibles that go along with signing an $11 million contract. When the going gets tough, he's gone. In retrospect, it would have been better to let him go to a place where he feels more comfortable pulling his pants down in public.
All 4 of them do.
I like Tavares, good skill and humble man but he lacks the overdrive switch as well. I didn’t know that from NY but watching here, yes.

Perfect compliment to team Canada’s but never the leader. Never the soul.

The core is too much regular season passive.
No anger, no pushing, cross check, dirty, etc.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Marner has a deep roster of endorsement partners with CIBC, Land Rover, Red Bull, Amazon Canada and Intact Insurance—most have ties to his charity, Marner Assist Fund. In July, he joined the ownership group of OverActive Media, which has esports franchises in the Overwatch League and the Call of Duty League.
giphy.gif

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Chips on shoulders put chips in pockets. It's too bad our guys only have chips on their shoulders when negotiating contracts and not on the ice when they're trying to win a Stanley Cup championchip.

Reactions: Lumberg

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I used to think people were exaggerating when they said "add 3 or 4 million in endorsements" for big players in Toronto. But, there it is, the actual numbers. So M and M took Dubas to the cleaners knowing that an extra 3 or 4 mil would still be coming their way.

The other aspect of that subject and article is that iirc Crosby was making the same kind (amount) of money playing for an American team which isn't supposed to be possible according to some i.e., Toronto is absolutely the best and far above all other markets for endorsement money for players.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The other aspect of that subject and article is that iirc Crosby was making the same kind (amount) of money playing for an American team which isn't supposed to be possible according to some i.e., Toronto is absolutely the best and far above all other markets for endorsement money for players.

Crosby is a national celebrity though and has those Tim Hortons commercials with MacKinnon and whatnot. He'd make bank wherever. I think it's more of a bonus for guys like Martin and Mikheyev who got commercial for Intact and Campbell's.

Reactions: Stigma

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

Apparently Tampa gets their players to sign for less due to the tax advantages.

Yet our stars get 2+ mil in just endorsements for playing in Toronto. How does that not lower their demands?

They got signing bonuses (in case of lockout they still get paid), front loaded (money is worth more now than in 3 years), short term compared to most rfa's and a massive cap hit.

Dubas royally f*** those deals up.

I hope 16 and 34 are embarrassed taking home that much while completely failing in the PO.

Do you think the other players don't mind that they make 1/10 of what auston and mitch make while putting in twice the effort?

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Other than the 3 best players of the generation (Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid), look at how dramatically endorsement money drops for non-leaf players.

Why is nonsense like taxes allowed to be part of the equation, but not these endorsements?

Holy CHRIST is Dubas ever bad at his job.

Dubas has been so bad that I now consider it within the realm of possibility that he has been deliberately sabotaging the team.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad