• Sam / Murray

Votes: 90 43.5%

• Total voters

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Gonna go with Murray. I’m just not sold on Campbell being a true starter and Edmonton probably isn’t the place to test that out. I don’t like Murray either at that price, but whatever.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Poll is kind of dumb, I'll take the option with 2 players one of which is likely only going to play 20-30 against theoretically weaker competition as most backups do. Not really apples to apples. Always seems to be some hedging going on in these threads, which is funny since the team that has two goalies to choose always claims their D is an upgrade over ours. No idea why they also need to hedge their bets with two choices to one...

Better Sv% - your guy or two of ours?
Matthews vs Drai (Ignore contracts)
And on and on.
Yep. The poll should be Campbell vs Murray/Samsonov combined.

I just saw a tweet where Murray would've been .920 behind the Leafs D.
If you saw it in a tweet, it must be true...

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Campbell. He is still the better goalie than Torontos additions. I do think they improved as an overall tandem though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Samsonov gonna break out in Toronto.
Would be simultaneously the least likely of scenarios but also one I wouldn’t be surprised at. Unless he makes big strides on the mental aspect of his game he’s going to get eaten alive in Toronto but he’s also freakishly athletic and talented so he’s got the potential to do it.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If Murray can stay healthy and start 60 games, I take Samsonov. He'll get starts against teams like Hawks, Coyotes, and other bottom teams mostly which should boost his stats.

• Haha
Reactions: Sting

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If Murray can stay healthy and start 60 games, I take Samsonov. He'll get starts against teams like Hawks, Coyotes, and other bottom teams mostly which should boost his stats.
Matt Murray has played a max of 50 games in a season, 4 years ago. The probability of him playing 60 is next to zero. I'd say its more likely he plays 25-30.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Murray/Samsonov

Campbell had 1 great month last year it got him 5X5 but from December-April he was 893, in the playoffs he was 897.

That's what Campbell is when he's the guy.

The Bar isn't high.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Given it's seen as a risk what the Leafs did, who do you take? Campbell higher than both or 1 outperforming him. We'll say sample size of 20 games. Campbell should be seen as the safe bet, but you get 2 chances with what the Leafs did.
I am bumping this for two reasons. I had inferred from the OP that we would check back after a sample size of 20 games and we are slightly past that now. Second, it is interesting that three of the goalies on the Oilers and the Leafs have identical save percentages as of today.

I also thought it interesting to include Skinner and Kallgren in the data for no particular reason.

SV%GAA
Samsonov0.9212.23
Murray0.9212.51
Skinner0.9212.78
Kallgren0.8912.87
Campbell0.8764.15

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I had one defiant oilers poster tell me how campbell was a great signing before the start of the season. My exact rebuttal was this “your team may or may not do well, but I assure you, if by some define intervention your oilers go to the finals or win the Stanley cup, I guarantee you, it won’t be jack campbell as the starter. So you better hope skinner isn’t the next binnington, that’s your only hope”. He scoffed and said we’ll see. I guess we are seeing….that I was right

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The good news is if Edmonton starts Campbell enough their first round pick should be high enough that they might be able to bundle it with Campbell for future considerations.

Reactions: AvroArrow

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
looks like Campbell will win this poll since 1 of Samsonov or Murray won't finish higher since they both will :naughty:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
The good news is if Edmonton starts Campbell enough their first round pick should be high enough that they might be able to bundle it with Campbell for future considerations.
If they win #1 overall they would be stuck. You can’t trade away Bedard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad