• Campbell

Votes: 117 56.5%
  • Sam / Murray

Votes: 90 43.5%

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Given it's seen as a risk what the Leafs did, who do you take? Campbell higher than both or 1 outperforming him. We'll say sample size of 20 games. Campbell should be seen as the safe bet, but you get 2 chances with what the Leafs did.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Campbell - .910 - .920
Murray - .905 - .915
Samsonov - .900 - .910

These are the ranges I expect/ can see them taking so….
Campbell

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Looks like someone stopped watching the Oilers before Jay Woodcroft and Dave Manson got promoted as coaches
Edmonton got lit up in the playoffs. Woodcroft didn’t do anything but enable the players to play looser since Tippett is a dinosaur

they played 2 of the 6 highest scoring teams in the NHL for 2/3 of the rounds. Context matters when you cherry pick small sample sizes
Aren’t you cherry picking right now?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I believe in Campbell. He'll do well with Edmonton, they got the legit starter thet they've been needing. I voted Campbell.

I hope Murray keeps it close.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Poll is kind of dumb, I'll take the option with 2 players one of which is likely only going to play 20-30 against theoretically weaker competition as most backups do. Not really apples to apples. Always seems to be some hedging going on in these threads, which is funny since the team that has two goalies to choose always claims their D is an upgrade over ours. No idea why they also need to hedge their bets with two choices to one...

Better Sv% - your guy or two of ours?
Matthews vs Drai (Ignore contracts)
And on and on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I believe in Campbell. He'll do well with Edmonton, they got the legit starter thet they've been needing. I voted Campbell.

I hope Murray keeps it close.

Legit starter might be stretching it; last year was the first time he was his teams starter.

(I guess 2021 as well but only 22 GP)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I just saw a tweet where Murray would've been .920 behind the Leafs D.

Campbell was still 26th...they did well in spite of him.

Can you provide the link?

It doesn't surprise me at all. Outside of his first 7 games in Ottawa (defense was : Chabot/Zaitsev/Josh Brown/Coburn/Gudbranson/Reilly; Zub was sitting, Brannstrom had covid), Murray has been really good. He kept getting injured though so kinda hard to stay "in the groove"

The average hockey fan doesn't know much regarding goalies. Most opinions are pretty much just noise. It wouldn't surprise me one iota if Murray keeps something ~0.925 SV% for a while and people will act all "shocked". Next season is going to be very entertaining

Reactions: JadedLeaf and Kelly

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Poll is kind of dumb, I'll take the option with 2 players one of which is likely only going to play 20-30 against theoretically weaker competition as most backups do. Not really apples to apples. Always seems to be some hedging going on in these threads, which is funny since the team that has two goalies to choose always claims their D is an upgrade over ours. No idea why they also need to hedge their bets with two choices to one...

Better Sv% - your guy or two of ours?
Matthews vs Drai (Ignore contracts)
And on and on.

Honestly has nothing to do with the Oilers and everything to do with saying Murray and Samsonov are bad moves, should have signed Campbell.

I am just saying, both of these guys are cheaper and less term. All he needs is 1 to outperform Campbell and the gamble makes sense, so I guess the poll is meant to be kind of like that. A sure thing vs the field. Popular opinion seems to be Leafs made a mistake letting Campbell go

Reactions: Bedards Dad

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Edmonton got lit up in the playoffs. Woodcroft didn’t do anything but enable the players to play looser since Tippett is a dinosaur

Aren’t you cherry picking right now?

lol no? I literally said I was adding context to the stats from the other post. Are you not familiar with the term 'cherry picking'?

I don't need to cherry pick stats for my argument. The Oilers are tied for 5th in goals against and 2nd in goal differential since he took over on February 11th. Thats all his regular season games, more than double the sample size of the playoffs where the stats are against specifically higher scoring teams.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can you provide the link?

It doesn't surprise me at all. Outside of his first 7 games in Ottawa (defense was : Chabot/Zaitsev/Josh Brown/Coburn/Gudbranson/Reilly; Zub was sitting, Brannstrom had covid), Murray has been really good. He kept getting injured though so kinda hard to stay "in the groove"

The average hockey fan doesn't know much regarding goalies. Most opinions are pretty much just noise. It wouldn't surprise me one iota if Murray keeps something ~0.925 SV% for a while and people will act all "shocked". Next season is going to be very entertaining

I also think the idea Murray's goaltending is going to cost the Leafs a lot of games is funny considering Mrazek/Kallgren both had worse save percentages than Murray last season, yet still managed to go a combined 20-10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad