Higher Peak?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Ovechkin had a 41-game stretch in 07-08 of 36g, 30a, 66p

Sidney Crosby's 41-game 10-11 season was 32g 34a, 66p

Pretty close, same sample size and what I would define as both players' peaks.

Crosby was pretty consistent that season with only 6 pointless games, but just 2 hat tricks and 2 4-point games.

Ovechkin was less consistent in that 41-game stretch with 12 pointless games, but had monster games with 2 4-goal games, 1 other hat trick, 3 5-point games and a 4-point game.

I think both players have a pretty good argument and I'm undecided between them.

Yeah you see everyone talking about Crosby's 41 game season, but Ovechkin had similar runs in his full seasons.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
There often isn't clearly defined beginning and end to a players peak. Crosby for example, his first and second best seasons statistically have come 7 seasons apart. Was that whole span his peak? He is scoring goals at the highest rate of his career, is he still in his peak? Has his whole career been his peak to date?

Well technically 10-11 was

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
There often isn't clearly defined beginning and end to a players peak. Crosby for example, his first and second best seasons statistically have come 7 seasons apart. Was that whole span his peak? He is scoring goals at the highest rate of his career, is he still in his peak? Has his whole career been his peak to date?

I'd agree with you, in the case of players whose careers have been adversely affected by an injury. Using your example with Sid, I think by and large, people agree that 10/11 Sid was slightly better than this year's Sid. Obviously the injury took him down a notch, and it's a been a slow climb back to that 10/11 level.

For players that aren't hampered by an injury... it's usually pretty easy to spot their peak period, beginning to end.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Actually, as far as duration goes, when we discuss a player's peak, we're usually discussing the point from which the player entered his peak and began playing the best hockey of his career, to the point that he began to decline.

Mario fans have to break down his performances to "certain segments of a season", because they can't draw on a full season for comparison, given his injuries. You do know that... right?

All which essentially pays no consequence for games missed. Punishing a player for not being healthy is tough, but by doing so we give no reward for those who did. Playing games matters.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
All which essentially pays no consequence for games missed. Punishing a player for not being healthy is tough, but by doing so we give no reward for those who did. Playing games matters.
OP didn't put any time stipulations. If it was best 3 season peak I bet most would choose ovechkin.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006

The question wasn't "who played at an extremely high level for the longest?"... the question was "who do you guys think had a higher peak?".

Crosby at his best... is better than Ovechkin at his best. Make sense now?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Crosby at his best... is better than Ovechkin at his best. Make sense now?

No, it really doesn't make sense to say that Crosby had the better peak when you look at it statistically. Read Super Hans' post. They seem pretty equal to me even if you break it down to segments.

To your "the question wasn't who played at a high level for the longest, but who had the higher peak," it again comes down to peak. If you don't put stipulations on a peak then you can just define it as to whatever fits your argument.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
No, it really doesn't make sense to say that Crosby had the better peak when you look at it statistically. Read Super Hans' post. They seem pretty equal to me even if you break it down to segments.

The guy I was responding to made it very clear he thought Crosby's peak was better. His little caveat was what I was addressing.

To your "the question wasn't who played at a high level for the longest, but who had the higher peak," it again comes down to peak. If you don't put stipulations on a peak then you can just define it as to whatever fits your argument.

The stipulation of a peak, is what I said it was. If you wanna side with the guy and box it up as "82 games"... that's your bag, not mine. I'm pretty sure most people here frame a peak period, the way I described it.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Yeah you see everyone talking about Crosby's 41 game season, but Ovechkin had similar runs in his full seasons.

Crosby's pace wasn't technically a run as he was able to do that during the 2010-11 to 2012-13 seasons. He just didn't happen to play the entirety of those seasons.

Top 3 P/GP During those 3 years:

1 Sidney Crosby GP: 22, P: 37, P/GP 1.68
2 Sidney Crosby GP: 41, P: 66, P/GP 1.61
3 Sidney Crosby GP: 36, P: 56, P/GP 1.56

That's a 99 game span with a P/GP of 1.61. Malkin was second during that time with 1.20 P/GP in 149 games. For perspective, Sid's career P/GP is about 1.31.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
This.

Heck for all we know THIS is Crosby's "peak" season. So if you have to think about it then it can't be Crosby.

I have read this sentence like 6 times and trying to figure out what you are saying. If it's close, it HAS to be Ovi, just because?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Crosby - his teams and linemates were always so much worse.

huh have you see ovies team when he won the calder? even the next year after?

Ovie was just on an other level, he was litteraly EVERYWHERE. he is easily the most exiting player to watch in the last decades. i might get hated for this but i will even go further and say in NHL history when was last time a player dominated all offensive statistics and would finish easily top 10 in hits for multiples consecutive years. Peak Ovi was from an other dimensional of do it all player.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Ovie was just on an other level, he was litteraly EVERYWHERE. he is easily the most exiting player to watch in the last decades. i might get hated for this but i will even go further and say in NHL history when was last time a player dominated all offensive statistics and would finish easily top 10 in hits for multiples consecutive years. Peak Ovi was from an other dimensional of do it all player.

He still was never a defensive dynamo even at his very best, so let's not get too excited here.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Ovechkin first few years in the NHL were some of the worst defensive performances of all time. The guy fit the very definition of the floater, regularly jumping out of his zone and leaving his teammates out to dry defending.

Ovechkin scored a lot of goals, but how many goals against was he out of the position for?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Crosby in 10-11 is the best player I've seen in a long time.

Ovechkin had the best full season, however.

Ovechkin had a 41-game stretch in 07-08 of 36g, 30a, 66p

Sidney Crosby's 41-game 10-11 season was 32g 34a, 66p

Pretty close, same sample size and what I would define as both players' peaks.

Crosby was pretty consistent that season with only 6 pointless games, but just 2 hat tricks and 2 4-point games.

Ovechkin was less consistent in that 41-game stretch with 12 pointless games, but had monster games with 2 4-goal games, 1 other hat trick, 3 5-point games and a 4-point game.

I think both players have a pretty good argument and I'm undecided between them.

It's not just points. Crosby had more productive 41 games samples in his career. He had 70ish+ points in his first 41 games in 06-07. Wasn't anywhere close to being as dominant as he was in 10-11. Heck, he had a better PPG in the following year with 37 points in 22 games, and I remember people wondering what was wrong with Sid on the Pens board.

He was just something else in 10-11.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kane and Stamkos are not good enough to be compared. I think the only other two post-lockout who could be comared at Malkin and Datsyuk. Maybe Thornton or Jagr in 05/06 as well.

Crosby
Malkin/Ovechkin
Datsyuk
Jagr
Thornton
Kane
Sedins
Stamkos

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Watch this video and you'll realize the answer is Ovechkin.

Fully agree with this.

While I'm sure an argument can easily be made for Crosby, the sort of energy and passion Ovechkin played with here is a sight to behold and will likely remain unmatched for who knows how long?

While McDavid will match Crosby, Ovechkin's total game and total energy will likely remain unmatched

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad