Higher Peak?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Ovechkin with his 65 goal season, quite easily. If Crosby hadn't gotten injured in his crazy 10-11 campaign, it'd be him.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Ovechkin with his 65 goal season, quite easily. If Crosby hadn't gotten injured in his crazy 10-11 campaign, it'd be him.

This doesn't make any sense. You're acknowledging that Sid played at a higher level, but then you're saying it doesn't matter because he was injured while he was playing at that higher level.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This doesn't make any sense. You're acknowledging that Sid played at a higher level, but then you're saying it doesn't matter because he was injured while he was playing at that higher level.

Because it's a total what if situation. Ovechkin did it for an entire season, if Crosby had played at that level all year than it'd be him, but he didn't.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Because it's a total what if situation. Ovechkin did it for an entire season, if Crosby had played at that level all year than it'd be him, but he didn't.

The question wasn't "who played at an extremely high level for the longest?"... the question was "who do you guys think had a higher peak?".

Wulfgar

Feb 28, 2012
For me, it is Ovechkin in 09-10. He was unreal that season, especially before the Olympics.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The question wasn't "who played at an extremely high level for the longest?"... the question was "who do you guys think had a higher peak?".

Well if you want to break it down like that we might as well just look at who had the best game of their careers. Or maybe the best period.

Darryl Sittler; the greatest peak in hockey history.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Well if you want to break it down like that we might as well just look at who had the best game of their careers. Or maybe the best period.

Darryl Sittler; the greatest peak in hockey history.

Yeah okay... I agree, let's get stupid about it. He's the one that's put an arbitrary 82 game threshold on the sample size. That's after acknowledging that he believed Sid would maintain his pace.

Edit: I find it funny how you consider straight points, the measuring stick.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yeah okay... I agree, let's get stupid about it. He's the one that's put an arbitrary 82 game threshold on the sample size. That's after acknowledging that he believed Sid would maintain his pace.

Edit: I find it funny how you consider straight points, the measuring stick.

You must not understand what the word arbitrary means.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Why 82? Why not 164? Why 1 game? Why 1 Period? Why not 41 games?

Are you sure you understand what arbitrary means?

82 games is a full regular season. Seems like a pretty standardized, non-random sample size for determining how well a player played over a period of time.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I just put it in desktop mode to see if you had an avatar. Checks out.

Grade school response. "You're a fan of that team, so you must be a homer."

You're dodgin' the meat. The guy brought duration into the equation after acknowledging Sid played at a higher level. I pointed out how what he said doesn't make sense.

And all you've got is Darryl Sittler, who isn't even on op's list.

It's over man, take a seat. :laugh:

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Ovechkin had a 41-game stretch in 07-08 of 36g, 30a, 66p

Sidney Crosby's 41-game 10-11 season was 32g 34a, 66p

Pretty close, same sample size and what I would define as both players' peaks.

Crosby was pretty consistent that season with only 6 pointless games, but just 2 hat tricks and 2 4-point games.

Ovechkin was less consistent in that 41-game stretch with 12 pointless games, but had monster games with 2 4-goal games, 1 other hat trick, 3 5-point games and a 4-point game.

I think both players have a pretty good argument and I'm undecided between them.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Grade school response. "You're a fan of that team, so you must be a homer."

You're dodgin' the meat. The guy brought duration into the equation after acknowledging Sid played at a higher level. I pointed out how what he said doesn't make sense.

And all you've got is Darryl Sittler, who isn't even on op's list.

It's over man, take a seat. :laugh:

You then suggested that his 82 game sample size was arbitrary, which is absolutely not the case. When we discuss the greatness of players on an all-time level, do we not judge them on a season-by-season basis? When they hand out major awards, do they not do it on a season-by-season basis?

When discussing a player's peak, using a single season is generally the minimal standard. Otherwise we might just as well cut it to any length that fits an argument's need. Very similar to Mario fans love to break down certain segments of a season to show that he was as dominant as Gretzky.

bobbydigital

Aug 18, 2016
Chicago
An argument can be made for either Crosby or Ovechkin but personally I'd have to go with Ovechkin.

Also, Merry Christmas!

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
In terms of single season, I'd go:

Ovechkin 07-08 (65 goals)
Crosby 13/14
Crosby 06/07
Ovechkin 12/13
Ovechkin 08/09
Kane 15/16
Crosby 09/10
Stamkos 11/12
Ovechkin 09/10
Crosby 10/11 (66 in 41)
Stamkos 09/10
Kane 12/13
Crosby 16/17 (projected)
Stamkos 12/13

Something like that. There are definitely 2 tiers here.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
You then suggested that his 82 game sample size was arbitrary, which is absolutely not the case. When we discuss the greatness of players on an all-time level, do we not judge them on a season-by-season basis? When they hand out major awards, do they not do it on a season-by-season basis?

When discussing a player's peak, using a single season is generally the minimal standard. Otherwise we might just as well cut it to any length that fits an argument's need. Very similar to Mario fans love to break down certain segments of a season to show that he was as dominant as Gretzky.

Actually, as far as duration goes, when we discuss a player's peak, we're usually discussing the point from which the player entered his peak and began playing the best hockey of his career, to the point that he began to decline.

Mario fans have to break down his performances to "certain segments of a season", because they can't draw on a full season for comparison, given his injuries. You do know that... right?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Actually, as far as duration goes, when we discuss a player's peak, we're usually discussing the point from which the player entered his peak and began playing the best hockey of his career, to the point that he began to decline.

Mario fans have to break down his performances to "certain segments of a season", because they can't draw on a full season for comparison, given his injuries. You do know that... right?

There often isn't clearly defined beginning and end to a players peak. Crosby for example, his first and second best seasons statistically have come 7 seasons apart. Was that whole span his peak? He is scoring goals at the highest rate of his career, is he still in his peak? Has his whole career been his peak to date?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad