Dreger: High interest on Arturi Lehkonen. Now in play for trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Why would The Habs hand out fair deals? He is a young RFA so its a win-win for The Habs.

Pay the heavy price or they resign him and keep the good player for themselves. No down side for them.....
It all depends on whether or not MTL manages to move their large contracts to resign Lehkonen and how much he wants.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Right.

Pitlick, Hammond, Kulak, Weidman are done this summer so give Lehkonen a raise form that and Drouin, Allen, and Byron the following year plenty in there for Caufield.

Plus any trades that might happen.
You realize that MTL only has 10m cap space to sign 6 (edited) players next year since in the offseason you can't go above cap ceiling +10% via the LTIR mechanism ? And that they have Romanov to resign ?

Last edited:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You realize that MTL only has 10m cap space to sign 9 players next year since in the offseason you can't go above cap ceiling +10% via the LTIR mechanism ? And that they have Romanov to resign ?
Yikes, only 10M to sign nine players. Caufield and Lehkonen will be the only ones left to sign.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I'd want Montreal to just focus on Caufield and Lehkonen, since they have to rebuild and such.
I would focus on Romanov and Caufield, Lehkonen is a nice piece to have for sure and I have liked the player since he has been drafted but I don't see how you fit him under the cap except if there is appetite for Armia, Petry, Hoffman, Drouin, Byron, Savard at the draft and Hughes already knows it, which is very possible.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I would focus on Romanov and Caufield, Lehkonen is a nice piece to have for sure and I have liked the player since he has been drafted but I don't see how you fit him under the cap except if there is appetite for Armia, Petry, Hoffman, Drouin, Byron, Savard at the draft and Hughes already knows it, which is very possible.
Maybe then, the trade rumor for Lehkonen is realistic. I mean, if Montreal can get a first-round pick and even more, that's already a win for them.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Maybe then, the trade rumor for Lehkonen is realistic. I mean, if Montreal can get a first-round pick and even more, that's already a win for them.
Trade Rumour makes sense for multiple reasons - He'll probably never be as valuable as he is right now for a team that is looking to add depth for a low cap hit and a controlled (RFA) asset. He's terrific defensively, an excellent skater and forechecker, he can kill penalties, and he never takes a game off... And very occasionally he will score a huge goal and you wonder why he couldn't score 20-25 a year. Maybe he could on a better team, but his ability to slide up and down the lineup without hurting a line, is something every true cup contender craves.

I'm a big Lehkonen fan. I'd be in favour of keeping him, but I can certainly understand if the brass moves him. This is a rebuild, and Lehkonen is an asset that can be converted into capital to help that rebuild. If he goes, the team that picks him up will really appreciate all the little things he does well. He's as well rounded of a hockey player as you'll find in today's NHL.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Trade Rumour makes sense for multiple reasons - He'll probably never be as valuable as he is right now for a team that is looking to add depth for a low cap hit and a controlled (RFA) asset. He's terrific defensively, an excellent skater and forechecker, he can kill penalties, and he never takes a game off... And very occasionally he will score a huge goal and you wonder why he couldn't score 20-25 a year. Maybe he could on a better team, but his ability to slide up and down the lineup without hurting a line, is something every true cup contender craves.

I'm a big Lehkonen fan. I'd be in favour of keeping him, but I can certainly understand if the brass moves him. This is a rebuild, and Lehkonen is an asset that can be converted into capital to help that rebuild. If he goes, the team that picks him up will really appreciate all the little things he does well. He's as well rounded of a hockey player as you'll find in today's NHL.
This is the first case with an NHL playere, where his character and leadership increase his trade value.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
No they don t depending on the raise, look at the cap for next year. Caufield will be due a raise one year after that.

What kind of raise are we expecting for Lehkonen? He's a good player, but I don't see him get an enormous raise due to his offensive stats

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
What kind of raise are we expecting for Lehkonen? He's a good player, but I don't see him get an enormous raise due to his offensive stats
To give you a hint, if he asks for 3.5 MTL that means MTL will be very close to the cap limit + 10% during the offseason.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
To everyone saying he won't return a 1st or something close you have to remember Habs are not trying to sell him. They've said they want to keep him so if you want him it'll cost you.

Essentially it means either he gets the return or he won't be traded. While you may be right he doesn't get that return but it means he stays a Hab.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Was hoping for a 1st + Barron (or 1st + Lundkvist) type deal but i guess 2nd + Barron is fine too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad