Dreger: High interest on Arturi Lehkonen. Now in play for trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
5148-jpg.jpg

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Lehkonen is most likely better than whatever the assets they would get can become, and he's still young.

I'm probably one of the biggest Lehkonen simps, but I also know that he's having what is most likely a career year offensively. Going forward, I don't expect him to remain a ~40 points guy - more a ~30 points (almost all at ES) one like he's been for most of his career, while also being solid defensively.

To me, it depends on what he is willing to sign for. Anything above 4M and I'd say it might be, unfortunately, better to let him go now. If we can sign him medium term at 3.5M-4M (which honestly is probably unrealistic), I'd say keep him, because he's that valuable and can contribute for many years still - baring an injury or an unsuspected decline.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lehknonen's a very solid middle-6 forward who's young enough to be part of Montreal's future. No reason to trade him unless the Habs are offered a great package. And no reason for another team to offer a great package unless they need immediate playoff success and can sacrifice a top prospect or 2023 1st-round pick.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I don't think they trade him. I'd love him in Colorado but not for a first.
here is the problem for that. Leky is a 2nd rounder, he is no longer a 18 year old he NOW is in his prime 26. great contract. Why would the habs move him for a 2nd that has to start all over at 18 and then wait till that prospect reaches his prime at 26. Without a 1st you offer the HABS no incentive for the trade AT ALL. So what is your offer? I want your guy but I offer you nothing more then what you already have in just keeping Leky. Habs are not asking for 1st+prospect+ who knows what. YOU HAVE TO OFFER MORE then just a 2nd. " I have 100 dollars, you have 100 dollars, please give me your 100 dollars and I will give you my 100 dollars but my cheque is dated 6 years from now

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
here is the problem for that. Leky is a 2nd rounder, he is no longer a 18 year old he NOW is in his prime 26. great contract. Why would the habs move him for a 2nd that has to start all over at 18 and then wait till that prospect reaches his prime at 26. Without a 1st you offer the HABS no incentive for the trade AT ALL. So what is your offer? I want your guy but I offer you nothing more then what you already have in just keeping Leky. Habs are not asking for 1st+prospect+ who knows what. YOU HAVE TO OFFER MORE then just a 2nd. " I have 100 dollars, you have 100 dollars, please give me your 100 dollars and I will give you my 100 dollars but my cheque is dated 6 years from now

Then Montreal keeps the player. Simple. He is not worth a 1st considering what other assets will require the same 1st from the contending teams.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
here is the problem for that. Leky is a 2nd rounder, he is no longer a 18 year old he NOW is in his prime 26. great contract. Why would the habs move him for a 2nd that has to start all over at 18 and then wait till that prospect reaches his prime at 26. Without a 1st you offer the HABS no incentive for the trade AT ALL. So what is your offer? I want your guy but I offer you nothing more then what you already have in just keeping Leky. Habs are not asking for 1st+prospect+ who knows what. YOU HAVE TO OFFER MORE then just a 2nd
Then Montreal keeps the player. Simple. He is not worth a 1st considering what other assets will require the same 1st from the contending teams.
You have the right NOT to offer a 1st, just like you had the right not to offer for Chairot. Habs say ok 1 (you) down, 30 to go> lets see what the rest say.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
... Where did I mention only paying a 2nd? All I said is for me, I hope we don't pay a 1st for him. I like the player a lot but if we're dealing a 1st I'd rather see it involve a bigger fish. But that's a hell of a story you've created :laugh:

barrie colts

Feb 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
For now keep him.

In 4-5 years, the youth (Caufield, Suzuki etc...) in their prime and maybe he is the veteran missing piece.
Unless you get a very good potential top 6 player on a team that's willing to overpay.... (like Newhook !!!)

I'll remind everyone, Montreal traded Chris Chelios (HOF) for Denis Savard and won the cup.
Was it worth it?
You bet it did, last time they won it.

If not this type of overpayment....you KEEP him.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
here is the problem for that. Leky is a 2nd rounder, he is no longer a 18 year old he NOW is in his prime 26. great contract. Why would the habs move him for a 2nd that has to start all over at 18 and then wait till that prospect reaches his prime at 26. Without a 1st you offer the HABS no incentive for the trade AT ALL. So what is your offer? I want your guy but I offer you nothing more then what you already have in just keeping Leky. Habs are not asking for 1st+prospect+ who knows what. YOU HAVE TO OFFER MORE then just a 2nd
You have the right NOT to offer a 1st, just like you had the right not to offer for Chairot. Habs say ok 1 (you) down, 30 to go> lets see what the rest say.
... Where did I mention only paying a 2nd? All I said is for me, I hope we don't pay a 1st for him. I like the player a lot but if we're dealing a 1st I'd rather see it involve a bigger fish. But that's a hell of a story you've created :laugh:
glad you like my story HAHA. but I have NOT seen an offer from YOU, to see if you can grab leky from the Habs.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Lehkonen will be moved only and only if a team is seriously willing to overpay IMHO. Should be a fun few days coming.. I'm ok either way, really don't mind if he stays

If we are able to trade a salary like Armia or Hoffman befaore the deadline, i will be ok with keeping Lehkonen and give him 4M$ per for 4-5 years. But we definately have to shed salary for next season.

Cabbie91

Mar 17, 2022
He will likely be re-signed if there isn't an overpay. Too important to the teams fabric. Plays in every situation and a coaches dream.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If his next contract is in the 4M range then the value is not that great

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
In a vacuum, I keep him. He's one of the hardest working players in the league. He's having a career year. His versatility is hard to beat. As an RFA, Montreal could Q him and risk the fallout of arbitration. That gives them a year to figure out what to do with Byron, and maybe Armia.

Prior to signing Armia, I was always of the opinion that it was sort of an either or scenario. Similar styles of player, and with Joel and Byron under contract and younger cheaper forwards, I'm not sure it's good to invest long term in Lehkonen. If we can move out one of Byron or Armia I'm all for it.

All this is what's being weighed. It will have to be a compelling offer. If it is, I move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad