HFWF: The Reboot IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The booking is also closer to a more realistic wrestling setting like ROH or NJPW. NXT might be the closest. Not main roster WWE though. The booking doesn’t have as much room for Super over the top gimmicks that some of our WWE counter parts had at their peaks.

Not to say there isn’t some bollocks and silliness, but this product overall is much more grounded. Which is a good thing. I think that is where the best of modern wrestling is right now.
Tenants with a Room was the greatest thing lol. I still don't even know where I got the inspiration for the monkey from, but it was an amazingly different dynamic from everything else on the show, especially The Outcasts vs. Rushmore and HFWF rivalry, and the best part was that you KNEW when the tone shifted in that rivalry when the fun and games ended and ColePens and Disclose tried to murder each other.

I don't like going SO far off the deep end with campy stuff, but there's a time and a place for it and I think if this were real life, it was the perfect time to introduce the campy stuff to really get TWR over, and it was the perfect time to end the fun and games to shift the change of mood in the rivalry into somewhere more personal and darker.

NXT and NJPW are definitely more inspirations for this style of product, from the in-ring product, to the subtle changes and tones in character stuff that just adds on to someone's character rather than replacing a trait. The characters don't change (and the ones that do have a hard time escaping their past, like Disclose), but the characters just get different traits, some taking over others more, and what those characters go through shapes them moving forward into the direction they take.

Would Disclose become what he has if he had beaten ColePens in the unsanctioned match? Probably not. Would ColePens have become champ if he lost? Probably not. Would ColePens have had that rude awakening at how good the talent in the HFWF is now and that he needs to utilize whatever he can to get what he wants if he lost? Definitely not, his character wouldn't be able to show its face after that loss.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Disclose vs. ColePens is up there with MCG vs. Legendary AC (@Phobia Catalyst ) from the old HFWF as one of the best HFWF rivalries ever (I’m sure Phobia can back that up since he was there for the entire first round of HFWF).

And it’s still low key going, with ColePens using Disclose’s moves when he needs as kind of a nod to the limit he pushed him to, and realizing that he needs to become an opportunist because of how good the talent under him is compared to the old days.

The ColePens character is very multi-layered and it’s by design. Plenty of the characters are designed to be multi-layered with vulnerabilities and exploits.

I think the writing of basically a double hospitalization in the finale of Disclose/ColePens was brilliant. But also @Disclose is one of the best to stay in character around here because he gets the idea of back/forth. When you "cut someone down" the art of it is to make them look good because it makes yourself look even more important. So when someone cuts a promo on you, react in a good way. Let them get the best of you and then give it back. It's awesome. Trust the writing will make both guys look strong and sell it when you get bested.

So that finale where ColePens/Disclose respect one another but still hate one another is brilliance. Using one another's moves as they know the moves have impact and not doing it in a pure disgusting manner. And the arc of the story was great. Started by taking the tangible items and destroying them and then trying to destroy the actual person as it was holding both of them back from chasing what they really wanted.

Which also leads to the easiest decision to put the title around the winner of Disclose/ColePens as it shows they truly were holding one another back.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Disclose vs. ColePens is up there with MCG vs. Legendary AC (@Phobia Catalyst ) from the old HFWF as one of the best HFWF rivalries ever (I’m sure Phobia can back that up since he was there for the entire first round of HFWF).

And it’s still low key going, with ColePens using Disclose’s moves when he needs as kind of a nod to the limit he pushed him to, and realizing that he needs to become an opportunist because of how good the talent under him is compared to the old days.

The ColePens character is very multi-layered and it’s by design. Plenty of the characters are designed to be multi-layered with vulnerabilities and exploits.

You said our feud was the best.

smh, MCG really is Haitch. Politicking smh

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think the writing of basically a double hospitalization in the finale of Disclose/ColePens was brilliant. But also @Disclose is one of the best to stay in character around here because he gets the idea of back/forth. When you "cut someone down" the art of it is to make them look good because it makes yourself look even more important. So when someone cuts a promo on you, react in a good way. Let them get the best of you and then give it back. It's awesome. Trust the writing will make both guys look strong and sell it when you get bested.

So that finale where ColePens/Disclose respect one another but still hate one another is brilliance. Using one another's moves as they know the moves have impact and not doing it in a pure disgusting manner. And the arc of the story was great. Started by taking the tangible items and destroying them and then trying to destroy the actual person as it was holding both of them back from chasing what they really wanted.

Which also leads to the easiest decision to put the title around the winner of Disclose/ColePens as it shows they truly were holding one another back.
yeah, if anyone notices, when I write promos out, I NEVER have one cut another down unless it's a pure burial (Cor/Chytil). I don't believe in that. If you say your opponent is a loser, then when you beat them it means nothing.

when it comes to Disclose/ColePens, so many different events happened to add to their characters and personal arcs that led to Disclose becoming more serious, and ColePens becoming the opportunist he is now, and both of those arcs completed at Payback in the unsanctioned match. And with that program, you sensed the tone of it shift completely when Disclose cost ColePens a title match when ColePens successfully goaded Fro to put the title on the line after Falco Lombardi had literally just finished pushing him to the limit and injuring his shoulder.

speaking of Falco, that was another character arc. It took him a while to get involved, so he was a pure Ziggler character because it's all I could draw from. Once he got involved? Rocket strap, brother brother. That Fro/Falco match advanced Falco's character immensely. He's not just some cocky, "show off" wanting a good match. He's had more character progression in the months of HFWF than Ziggler had in 8 years in real life, and it came from that Fro/Falco match where Falco had a real mean streak and showed his malicious side to do what it takes to win. This is a guy willing to taunt Make-A-Wish kids to get inside his arch rival's head right now.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You said our feud was the best.

smh, MCG really is Haitch. Politicking smh
lol

the culmination of ours was really good in that 7-month program with all the twists and turns in both our characters. Mitchy being in The Outcasts as a firm heel but realizing there was more to this and wanting respect from MCG while still doing dastardly things, to questioning himself and not doing sneak attacks with The Outcasts anymore after MCG beat him at Night to Remember, to finally sticking up for himself and say he was going to beat MCG's ass and actually did pin me at Payback to win for The Outcasts and get that respect, while my character resorted to working as a heel and going back to his old ways to put away this young guy looking for his respect to show him that -- yeah, as long as you know WHY you're doing these dastardly things and can respect yourself for it, then it's okay (in MCG's mind and logic, it doesn't mean it's right, but that's MCG's mindset after 7 years in the HFWF). My character also shifting from never giving respect to The Outcasts, to eventually doing so, because ultimately, he understood why they were doing what they did since he was doing the exact same thing, MCG was just the authority now and it was ruining his show and decided he would end them himself, but then ultimately failed at Payback.

reading all that, it just shows how deep and nuts MCG/AC and Disclose/Cole was. And hell, MCG/Phobia is still somewhat going on after this past show, where MCG called Phobia a liability and still didn't want to give him a title match.

Like... I'm pretty sure there was almost a year gap between MCG/AC at Night to Remember, and then inside Hell in a Cell. If I remember correctly, I believe I kept throwing obstacles in his way until I said "f*** this shit" and challenged him again and he still beat me lmao.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I actually think going to school for something like Business is very smart before heading down the path of creativity and arts.
well I did it in college, and was going to finish in university but it ruined my mood and mental health. I'd much rather be in media/comms so I can do something creative out of school rather than doing shit with numbers.

Anything I can be creative in I'm in. Unfortunately, there's no way I'd ever be able to tell half the stories I do here if I wanted to write for WWE lol

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I always believe in getting a good job first and then doing your passion on the side until it can build into your forever. I work full time at Cigna. On the side I help my buddy who owns a fitness studio. We do marketing and some training. Every minute I invest into that is so f***ing fun. If it turns in to COO position as we get more investors, so be it. If not - i have my degree/fall back.

So @Cor with really good advice there. Totally agree.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
It's hard being a face, man, especially after you fought for respect. You don't want to be vanilla, but you don't want to betray that respect either.

Reactions: KIRK and Fro

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's hard being a face, man, especially after you fought for respect. You don't want to be vanilla, but you don't want to betray that respect either.

Just like real life. Being a face is hard. Heels almost always get the best lines, the best gimmicks. It’s easier to bring your personality out as a heel.

The list of guys who are better faces then heels is really short.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Just like real life. Being a face is hard. Heels almost always get the best lines, the best gimmicks. It’s easier to bring your personality out as a heel.

The list of guys who are better faces then heels is really short.

Exactly. Heels have more freedom to express themselves. Face Mitchy is struggling to find that spark.

Reactions: KIRK

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Its definetly easier to heel it up. My character has been mostly heel but shows vague signs of being a face or is put in a face position that gets cheered. Then its G.S.C outta nowhere and lolz oh you thought?!?!?

I have an easy out because I can just go in and RKO people and kick in heads but my character actually has some legitimacy to the title since hes been screwed out of it twice. A decent enough track record as well to make him credible and dangerous.

I'm really rooting for Mitchy as the ultimate babyface. Sometimes the bigger chase is worth it! I also assume theres a Mitchy/Gong program coming or being slow burned towards.

Reactions: Mitchy

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Falco vs. Emperoreddy in the game has been going on for 4 months, too, and Apocalypse is in September, so it’d be 5 months then. They’ve only had one actual singles match and (imo) it’s still fresh and has gone on long enough for a big blow off. I’m proud of that as it’s an undercard, non-title program too. Pretty wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad