HFVan Hockey League 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Looking for an extra hand or two to help out with certain league responsibilities. Message me on discord if you have some free time to burn and don't mind chipping in. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Dabeast

donut

Sep 5, 2012
HFVHL November Power Ranking Submission (deadline: October 30 @ 11:59 pm PST)

With the end of October approaching, it's time to update our HFVHL Power Rankings! It's been a crazy 1st month for HFVHL with a number of teams moving up and down the standings daily. Our top seeded team of the off-season power ranking is currently sitting at #16, while the Stanley Cup champions just snuck into the top 10 of the regular season standings.

For the November Power Ranking, I am looking for GMs to ranking all 20 franchises from best to worst. Please keep in mind (1) the team's current spot in the standings and (2) the potential of each team, both now and in the future. Below are the rankings for both the original power ranking from the off-season and the regular season standings as of 12pm on Oct 25, 2018.

Please respond through private message either here or on Discord with your submission.
PS: You can copy and paste the table below onto an excel sheet to make your life easier; and into the text box in private messages.

Ranking
Off-season Power Ranking
Regular Season
November Ranking
1Boston BruinsFlorida Panthers
2Vancouver CanucksSt Louis Blues
3St Louis BluesLos Angeles Kings
4Tampa Bay LightningCarolina Hurricanes
5New York IslandersWinnipeg Jets
6Carolina HurricanesArizona Coyotes
7Arizona CoyotesNew Jersey Devils
8Los Angeles KindsPhiladelphia Flyers
9Washington CapitalsTampa Bay Lightning
10Buffalo SabresVancouver Canucks
11Anaheim DucksCalgary Flames
12Pittsburgh PenguinsNew York Islanders
13Ottawa SenatorsSan Jose Sharks
14Winnipeg JetsOttawa Senators
15Philadelphia FlyersAnaheim Ducks
16Florida PanthersBoston Bruins
17Edmonton Oilers
18Pittsburgh Penguins
19Buffalo Sabres
20Washington Capitals
21New York Rangers
22Chicago Blackhawks
23Detroit Red Wings
24Minnesota Wild
25Nashville Predators
26Dallas Stars
27Colorado Avalanche
28Montreal Canadiens
29Columbus Blue Jackers
30Toronto Maple Leafs
31Vegas Golden Knights.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Looking forward to hearing back from most, if not all, of you!

Less than 48 hours before I want to post an updated power ranking.

Honestly, I've received an underwhelming number of responses/submissions. Unless I get a few more by the end of tomorrow, I'm not sure if I will continue on with this. The interest from people seem there but I need responses from everyone in order to keep this going.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
A lot of you have messaged me over the last little while to point out your concerns with goalie scoring, and what that means for future goalie contracts. I see two possible solutions but I'm certainly open to other ideas as well.

1) We nerf goalies for next season onwards to ensure that it makes sense for goalie contracts to be in line with how they are in real life. I believe one of the main complaints from people who said no to this in the off-season was that it was too short notice. Hopefully talking about this now helps with that.

2) We leave goalie scoring as it is and allow for goalie contracts to match their contribution in the league rather than use NHL contract comparables. This would lead to goalies carrying very large cap hits because of how many points they're able to contribute in a season. If we decide to nerf goalies at a later date, these contracts would have their cap hits reduced to match this. (e.g. 20% point nerfing means 20% cheaper cap hit).

---

On another note, I've received a ton of messages from GMs willing to offer their time to help out, and it's greatly appreciated. I'll try to get back to all of you soon once I've figured out the best way of handling this "shuffle". Again, thank you so much to all of you for your help as there's no way I'd be able to handle everything on my own.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
A lot of you have messaged me over the last little while to point out your concerns with goalie scoring, and what that means for future goalie contracts. I see two possible solutions but I'm certainly open to other ideas as well.

1) We nerf goalies for next season onwards to ensure that it makes sense for goalie contracts to be in line with how they are in real life. I believe one of the main complaints from people who said no to this in the off-season was that it was too short notice. Hopefully talking about this now helps with that.

2) We leave goalie scoring as it is and allow for goalie contracts to match their contribution in the league rather than use NHL contract comparables. This would lead to goalies carrying very large cap hits because of how many points they're able to contribute in a season. If we decide to nerf goalies at a later date, these contracts would have their cap hits reduced to match this. (e.g. 20% point nerfing means 20% cheaper cap hit).

---

On another note, I've received a ton of messages from GMs willing to offer their time to help out, and it's greatly appreciated. I'll try to get back to all of you soon once I've figured out the best way of handling this "shuffle". Again, thank you so much to all of you for your help as there's no way I'd be able to handle everything on my own.

I still don't understand the complaints on this. The rules were spelled out from the start. If we're limiting teams to 90 or 100 goalie games or whatever, that should be enough of a nerf.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

---

I think we should use the NHL comparable for contracts, with a little wiggle room based on who can built a good case for their offer.

I used my first pick on a goalie based on the scoring—I’d be pretty choked if we eliminated or drastically changed the goalie scoring.

Reactions: HankNDank and LaVar

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia
I'm not a big fan of the goalie scoring personally, I think it should be nerfed as it's too overpowered and can take an entire team out of playoffs if their #1 goes down long term.

But I knew the scoring structure when I joined so I'd be all for continuing to abide by the current scoring as well. As some have stated before, it has impacted their team structure, both from the initial draft, and through trades. So I feel it would be more unfair to these teams to change the rules than it would be unfair to other teams to keep the rules how they are.

Essentially, either route we go down I'm fine with

Maticus

Nov 19, 2009
Jacksonville
I still don't understand the complaints on this. The rules were spelled out from the start. If we're limiting teams to 90 or 100 goalie games or whatever, that should be enough of a nerf.

I just find it surprising that people are okay with Hellebuyck getting 150 more points than Mcdavid, there were 8 goalies that had more points than Mcdavid. If people are fine paying 12+ million for a starting goaltender that is fine with me; I just find that the people with good young goalies are getting punished because the goalies are coming off ELCs. I understand that this was the scoring system from the start but nothing is absolute, even the NHL makes rule changes. Intoewsables proposed an 8 point per win scoring system that still has 3 goalies beating out Mcdavid in points but not by a huge margin; I've attached a PDF of the proposed scoring and the totals for 2017-18.

I've also attached the top 10 players in scoring (2017-18) for reference.

Attachments

• Proposed_HFVHL_Point_System.pdf
    262.1 KB · Views: 7
  • HFVHL_Goalies_2017-18.pdf
    261.9 KB · Views: 7
  • HFVHL Top 10 Players.pdf
    97.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
I just find it surprising that people are okay with Hellebuyck getting 150 more points than Mcdavid, there were 8 goalies that had more points than Mcdavid. If people are fine paying 12+ million for a starting goaltender that is fine with me; I just find that the people with good young goalies are getting punished because the goalies are coming off ELCs. I understand that this was the scoring system from the start but nothing is absolute, even the NHL makes rule changes. Intoewsables proposed an 8 point per win scoring system that still has 3 goalies beating out Mcdavid in points but not by a huge margin; I've attached a PDF of the proposed scoring and the totals for 2017-18.

This is a really strong argument to me

Reactions: Tryamkin

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
As some have stated before, it has impacted their team structure, both from the initial draft, and through trades. So I feel it would be more unfair to these teams to change the rules than it would be unfair to other teams to keep the rules how they are.
This is the strongest arguement to me.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

But why would we have to pay $12m for goalies?

It’s not necessary to proportion expected salary based on how many more points a goalie gets in this league to a top forward.

The top goalies in the HVFHL will expect to make what the top goalies in the NHL make and the same goes for Forwards and Defense.

We don’t have to scale it up based on the scoring of this league.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018

It’s not necessary to proportion expected salary based on how many more points a goalie gets in this league to a top forward.

The top goalies in the HVFHL will expect to make what the top goalies in the NHL make and the same goes for Forwards and Defense.

Because those goalies are so much more important to team success in this league compared to IRL

donut

Sep 5, 2012

I agree with this.

Because those goalies are so much more important to team success in this league compared to IRL

We are running a league based off of the NHL cap but we are inflating goalie contracts based off of our league's scoring. It's either we keep them to comparable contracts to the NHL or we nerf goalie scoring and keep them on par to player scoring.

I understand the argument that GMs were well aware of the scoring system when drafting their teams but that shouldn't stop us from making adjustments to improve the league for the long run.

Maticus

Nov 19, 2009
Jacksonville

Goalies are so valuable in this league though, if you lose your goalies for extended time it's going to hurt your team in the standings. You might as well rebuild that year. Happened to SC last year.

If a starting goalie goes to free agency in HFVHL, the caphit for the goalie is going to be not even close to actual cap hit in real life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elusive Derposaurus

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Goalies are so valuable in this league though, if you lose your goalies for extended time it's going to hurt your team in the standings. You might as well rebuild that year. Happened to SC last year.

True.

Losing your starter is a big nail in the coffin, as it is irl.

It means guys who rely on their goalies more will be punished more by losing points if that happens—live by the goalie, die by the goalie.

I don’t think that needs to affect their salary in this league proportional to forwards and d.

We’ve already introduced a rule to try to balance things a bit more.

I wouldn’t be opposed to small adjustment in scoring,

But a drastic one punishes those who took the time to build their team based on the scoring structure (like all the GMs who were in the league from the start had the option to do), as well as guys who’ve traded valuable assets to acquire one.

Also, I do think a win should be the most valuable stat in terms of scoring, by a decent margin, because it is irl.

Last edited:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
In the 2016-17 season McDavid had around 353.5 points (1st among forwards). 13 goalies had more than that, including my 1st round pick. Talbot had 497.

It's not some new surprise that goalies have better stats.

The top D that year had 314. 17 goalies had more than that.

If you change the scoring you basically undo the draft strategy of a lot of teams. Changes to scoring should have a multi-year implementation time to allow teams to adjust. I don't see a compelling reason to help teams that pooched the draft a year ago.

Reactions: LaVar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad