HFVan Hockey League 2018/19 Part II - Draft Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
We let nail send players up and down on almost a daily basis last year so the precedent has already been set.

Edit: no excuse for the LTIR thing

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
That's not the rule.

"If a player is no longer injured and the team knowingly stashes the player on LTIR for cap relief, the team may face a cap or draft pick punishment."

I do not need cap relief from Crawford.
Whether you feel you need cap relief by keeping Crawford on LTIR is irrelevant. You're knowingly keeping him on IR because it's advantageous to you, AND you are also enjoying cap relief whether it's your primary purpose for doing this or not.

Like FOSCO said, even if we're going to be charitable with the definition in the CBA and let you lawyer your way out of this, it's hilariously obvious that this goes against the spirit of the game and what the rule was made to prevent.

You can choose which of your currently active goalies to waive (Crawford and his NMC can't be waived), or I can do it for you and decide whether to tack on an additional fine.

E D

Winger Super Squad
Feb 13, 2012
Canadia
Missed this from before, but considering it's relevant right now.

:caps
Activate Cam Ward from IR and waive him to be sent down to AHL

Reactions: Weylspin

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Whether you feel you need cap relief by keeping Crawford on LTIR is irrelevant. You're knowingly keeping him on IR because it's advantageous to you, AND you are also enjoying cap relief whether it's your primary purpose for doing this or not.

Like FOSCO said, even if we're going to be charitable with the definition in the CBA and let you lawyer your way out of this, it's hilariously obvious that this goes against the spirit of the game and what the rule was made to prevent.

You can choose which of your currently active goalies to waive (Crawford and his NMC can't be waived), or I can do it for you and decide whether to tack on an additional fine.
10/10 response

God damn!

xTH3D4RKL0RDx

Aug 10, 2014
:nashville Places Claim on Ward and waives Condon if successful

Activate Scandella from IR (should have an open spot)

Not that it's making a difference but I don't think Clifford should be under cap penalty as he's on the active roster

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Why is there not a rule in the CBA stating 'you cannot leave injured players on IR.' That's a pretty clear oversight if this was the intention.

Due to my failure to understand the unwritten rules of the league, I'm resigning as GM of the Winnipeg Jets. Good luck to whoever takes over.

Reactions: Canucks LB

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
:ducks Claim Carl Gunnarsson is a Swedish professional ice hockey defenseman currently playing for the St. Louis Blues of the National Hockey League. He previously played in the NHL for the Toronto Maple Leafs, the organization which originally selected him in the seventh round, 194th overall, of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft

Waive Jonathan Ericsson is a Swedish professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League. Ericsson was drafted in the ninth round, 291st overall, in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, the final pick of the draft

Last edited:

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Not that it's making a difference but I don't think Clifford should be under cap penalty as he's on the active roster
Correct. This has been fixed, thanks.
:flames call up Rem Pitlick and waive Carl Gunnarsson
Pitlick isn't in the database yet but I'll backdate it to today when he is. Gunnarsson will still be removed when claimed.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
ANA: 55 + 19 + 1 = 75
BOS: 57 + 26 = 83
CAR: 49 + 41 = 90
DAL: 49 + 36 = 85
EDM: 38 + 29 = 67
FLA: 44 + 23 + 17 = 84
LA: 57 + 10 + 2 = 69
MIN: 33 + 33 = 66
MTL: 38 + 33 = 71
NJ: 61 + 25 = 86
NYI: 42 + 30 + 10 = 82
NYR: 56 + 23 = 79
OTT: 49 + 25 = 74
PHI: 36 + 49 = 85
VAN: 55 + 30 = 85
VGK: 50 + 36 = 86
WSH: 41 + 5 + 5 + 13 + 9 = 73
WPG: 26 + 33 + 21 + 2 = 82

(I've stopped calculating for teams that mathematically cannot reach the GP limit.)

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Also, a reminder since we have a spike in waiver activity today: anyone claimed after the deadline is ineligible for your playoff roster.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Meet the HFVHL: New Jersey Devils GM HankNDank

SPNM01_INTERVIEW03-1040x572.jpg

---

This is part 4 of the multi-part series in which we'll interview General Managers from around the league, getting their thoughts on various topics regarding their team and the HFVHL as a whole.

---

Staff: What were your expectations for your team going into this season? Would you say your expectations were met, or were you hoping to be a contender?

HankNDank: We finished 5 spots out of the playoffs last year, and came back this year with mostly the same roster. I was hoping to maybe catch a wild card spot, and with such a hot start that we had, I thought it might be possible. Being a spot or two outside the playoffs in the tough Eastern Conference is a good step forward for this group, and hope to build off that improvement into next season.

Staff: What's the plan for next season and onwards then? Do you see yourselves as a playoff team in the near future? If so, will you be looking to make moves that might sacrifice future pieces to win now?

HankNDank: I am hoping to be a playoff team as soon as next season. We have a number of young guys on the roster already that we expect to keep improving, guys like [Andrei] Svechnikov and [Brock] Boeser have tons of growth potential still. Add to that some prospects ready to make the jump into the show next year. [Cale] Makar being the most highly touted, but also players like [Barrett] Hayton, [Jake] Bean, and [Taylor] Raddysh are likely to contribute to our playoff run next year. I will look to make deals that will improve this club, and if that means trading a longer term prospect or top draft picks, than it will be considered.

Staff: You were the biggest winner in the draft lottery last season, moving up all the way to #2 and allowing you to draft Andrei Svechnikov. How important was that moment for the future of your team? What are your expectations for the lottery this time around?

HankNDank: Even going back another year, in the initial league wide lottery, we ended up drafting 3rd and getting Makar, so we have been fortunate two years in a row. Getting Svechnikov filled a big hole we had in our top 6 wing position, and players like that cost a fortune to acquire in a trade, so that was a huge win for our franchise. Lotteries don't have a memory, so there is a chance we can move up again this year, but our odds are sitting at a little under 2%, so I'm expecting to draft right in the middle of the round.

Staff: What are your thoughts on the upcoming draft in general? Since you're expecting to draft in the middle of the round, are you willing to tell us who you'd, hypothetically, take at #1? And how do you feel about the draft overall?

HankNDank: I think it's a coin flip between [Jack] Hughes and [Kaapo] Kakko, haven't finalized our scouting report with our scouts though. We will have our meeting after the April 9th lottery. I think even if we don't win the lottery, we are going to get an impact player that can contribute to our success here in New Jersey, and ultimately help us win the HFVHL championship.

Staff: Speaking of the HFVHL championship, who do you think wins it all this season? Are you going to pay close attention to the playoffs even though you won't be part of them?

HankNDank: I'll pay attention for sure, so I know what strategies work best to win the ultimate prize. I think there is not one favourite team to win it all, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an Arizona vs Boston final. Also can't count out the defending champions, Vancouver Canucks, in going all the way again this year.

Staff: You had a rather quiet trade deadline, selling off Dan Girardi for Mirco Mueller and a late pick. Were you satisfied with how things unfolded for you at the deadline? Were there any moves you tried to pull off but couldn't?

HankNDank: I also was able to get a minor asset for [Jason] Spezza. I was satisfied, yes. The rest of my roster is either a core piece, or had negative value for a playoff push. I had tried to bolster my roster leading up to the deadline to make a playoff push, I had a couple offers out there involving multiple first round picks and prospects, but we were unable to come to a reasonable price in either deal. I'm happy to wait until next year and reevaluate then to see if it is time to put all my chips in for a deep run.

Staff: Your roster going into the offseason is more or less set, with only a couple of depth players left to sign and well over $15 million left in cap space. What's your plan for the offseason? Are you going to look at signing some premier free agents to try and solidify that playoff push next season?

HankNDank: I want to be a major player in the free agent market, and I think the players will see what we have in this team and how competitive we can be. It's not a question of if we will sign free agents or not, it's who will we sign.

Staff: Any positions in particular that you'd look to shore up during free agency? Or would you just be looking at adding any players who can help your team, period?

HankNDank: No position in particular, what ever will help push us into the playoffs. Need top line wingers or depth centremen. Could use some point producing defencemen as well. Whatever helps this group compete in the difficult Eastern Conference.

Staff: Anything else you want to add?

HankNDank: Yeah. Hedman +?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
:stars send down Peter Cehlarik and place Michael Rasmussen on IR

take Denis Malgin and Nico Hischier off of IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad