Avatars: HFSJ WJC Elimination Round Predictor contest - Win avatars!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Everybody but Barrie gets a point for semi #1 based on predicting a Canada win. Nobody had a 5-0 score though.

That was my only way into winning it from behind haha.

But truthfully i did not hear enough good things from any one with regards to canadas game other then it is up and down and russia usually brings its A game always vs canada in the jrs. So it was a combination of canada not being as good as predicted and russia being top notch.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
PosterPtsCorrect PredictionsQuarterfinal PtsSemifinal Pts
T-1)NiWa6151
landshark6151
T-3)one2gamble6042
slocal6042
LadyStanley6042
T-6)Cas5032
KarlssonsGroin5032
8)themelkman5041
9)Kcoyote34031
10)Barrie221001
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tiebreak procedures are:
1) correct predictions (ie games predicted with the right score and winner)
2) points earned in the semifinal games
3) points earned in the quarterfinal games
4) I haven't figured one out yet.

With 5 posters tied at 6 points NiWa and landshark retain their co-grip on 1st thanks to nailing the Finland/Sweden QF. themelkman has the same # of points as Cas and KarlssonsGroin, but his single point in the semis compared to the other two picking up a pair of points drops him to 8th.

Our final round to either have someone pull away or give me a headache through an even larger logjam is the medal round to try and sort through for final placements. I expect at this point that I'm going to have to give out more than just the baseline 3 prizes, but I don't yet know how many or how I'll decide on the cutoff now that it's as close as it is entering the last day (I honestly banked on a pool of this many people at least stumbling into one or two more correct predictions before all the wonky final scores turned things on their head.)

Your matchups are:

Bronze Medal Game: Russia vs Finland (Tuesday @ 2:30pm PT)
Gold Medal Game: Canada vs USA (Tuesday @ 6pm PT)

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Bronze Medal: Russia(2) vs Fin(3)
Gold Medal: Canada(4) vs USA(2)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Finland (4) over Russia (1)
Canada (4) over United States (3)

It's really hard to predict the gold medal game.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We're like 7 minutes into the game, so safe to say that medal round predictions are closed.

EDIT: also LadyStanley's bronze prediction is already invalid. Ouch. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We had 3 correct predictions of a USA victory (@slocal, @LadyStanley, @Barrie22) and no correct scores. The final leaderboard looks like this (I reversed the order of the points-by-round so that left-to-right more properly reads in order of the tiebreakers):

PosterPtsCorrect PredictionsMedal Rd PtsSF PtsQF Pts
T-1)Slocal80224
LadyStanley80224
2)Cas71223
T-3)NiWa71115
landshark71115
4)one2gamble70124
5)KarlssonsGroin60123
6)themelkman60114
7)Kcoyote350113
8)Barrie2230210
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tiebreak procedures were:
1) Slocal and LS (8 total points apiece) finished in a dead heat. So.... see below.
2) Cas and NiWa and landshark (7 points each) earn initial tieberakers over one2gamble (also 7 points) for having an exact correct prediction during the contest.
3) Cas earns the tiebreaker on NiWa and landshark for notching 2 points in the medal round today while one2gamble only had a single point
4) NiWa and landshark were in a dead heat.
5) KarlssonsGroin earns the tiebreaker over themelkman (6 points apiece) for having more points in the semifinals

I think I got everything right in terms of tabulation, but if anyone wants to double-check my math, go ahead and let me know if I screwed up. :laugh:

I also never did figure out a final tiebreaker past the above-listed items, and maybe it's just me thinking in a sort of "congrats" attitude to the mostly-American HFSJ who just beat my team for a well-deserved gold medal, but I might as well just count the tie and adjust placements accordingly.

So....

tying for 1st place, @slocal & @LadyStanley both have earned themselves 2 packs of avatars.

earning 2nd place alone is @Cas, who will score a pack of avatars and one extra rare avatar from a pool of undistributed designs (they are "official" I just had more finished products than slots in the packs I made)

tying for 3rd place are @NiWa & @landshark, who have each secured 1 pack of avatars.

congrats to everyone who competed and to the winners. I'll likely hand out rewards tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00