Avatars: HFSJ WJC Elimination Round Predictor contest - Win avatars!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As I alluded to in the WJC thread, I wanted to finally do something that will award people some extra avatar packs since there are still plenty unaccounted for.

To facilitate that we're going to have a prediction contest that runs for the remaining 8 games of the 2021 WJCs. Here's how it's going to work:

Basically in the spirit of SNOG contests, for each round, make your prediction on the winner and score of each game. Based on the results you'll earn points. At the end of the tournament, after the medal games are decided, everyone's total points will be tallied up and the winners will claim their prize.

What are you playing for?

First place will receive two (2) packs of HFSJ avatars.

Second Place will receive one (1) pack of avatars along with one randomly selected rare/legendary avatar from the batch of leftovers I had that didn't make it into packs (they aren't rejects or anything. I literally just ended up having about 10-20 extras across both rarities that didn't make it into packs that were prepped for distribution. In all aspects they're the same as anything you might find in a finished pack. Same theme sets, same everything.). As I do with the packs I set odds for having a legendary replace the rare, so I'll run those odds before awarding the prize.

Third Place will receive one (1) pack of avatars.

The Rules

ahead of each round (Quarters, Semis, Gold/Bronze Medal games) make your predictions for those games. Your predictions should include:

1) The winner of the game
2) the final score of the game

If you get either of the above correct you get 1 point. If you get both correct you get 2 points. I was going to make it more complicated, but decided against doing that.

You have until puck-drop on the first game of the round to get your predictions in for that round.

At the end of the tournament, winners will be determined by total points. Ties will be broken by, in order:
1) number of completely correctly guessed games (as in both winner and score correct) across the whole contest
2) number of points earned in the medal round
3) number of points earned in the semis
4) number of points earned in the quarterfinals
5) if we make it down this far, I'll probably just flip a coin or roll a die or something to break ties.

The Quarterfinal matchups are:

Canada vs Czech Republic
Finland vs Sweden
Russia vs Germany
USA vs Slovakia

Good luck to everyone who enters. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Quarterfinal predictions are due by 9am PT on Saturday, January 2nd.

Reactions: slocal

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Canada(7) vs Czech Republic(2)
Finland(2) vs Sweden(3)
Russia(5) vs Germany(1)
USA(4) vs Slovakia(2)

Last edited:

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Canada (4) vs Czech Republic (1)
Finland (3) vs Sweden (2)
Russia (5) vs Germany (1)
USA (4) vs Slovakia (1)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Canada (6) over Czech Republic (1)
Sweden (4) over Finland (2)
Russia (7) over Germany (1)
United States (8) over Slovakia (0)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Canada (4) vs Czech Republic (3)
Finland (2) vs Sweden (1)
Russia (7) vs Germany (5)
USA (8) vs Slovakia (0)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I should note that when I said "either of the predictions correct" regarding the score, yes it is possible to get 1 point if you get the final score of the game right but the winner wrong.

So... say the Sweden-Finland game ends Finland 4, Sweden 3.

Person A who predicts Finland 3, Sweden 2 gets 1 point for the correct winner
Person B who predicts Sweden 4, Finland 3 gets 1 point for the correct score (albeit reversed)
Person C who predicts Finland 4, Sweden 3 gets 2 points for both being correct.
Person D who predicts Sweden 2, Finland 0 gets no points because they're wrong on all counts.

The way I see it, it's harder to predict the final score than it is the winner, so if you get that right even if you have it backwards it should be worth something. And you still come out ahead if you get the right winner and score compared to someone who just got one or the other.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Quarterfinal entries are now closed.

If you didn't enter now you can join up for the semifinals, though you'll be at a disadvantage of having missed out on half of the predictable games.

But who knows, if you run the table you could still place. Or maybe some people drop out after the quarters.

My thanks to everyone who entered so far. I'll have a standings table tonight after all the games are complete.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just watched the fin games and swore I had that score the other way lol

You do get a point for correctly guessing a 3-2 final score even though you had Sweden winning.

Congrats to NiWa and Landshark for nailing this one with a 3-2 Finland final. They both get 2 points. Slocal, themelkman, and LadyStanley get 1 point for predicting a Finnish win, while you get 1 point for the correct score. So after 2/4 games our leaderboard is:

t-1) NiWa, landshark = 3 points
t-3) one2gamble, slocal, themelkman, Lady Stanley = 2 points
t-7) Cas, KarlssonsGroin, Kcoyote3 = 1 point

This doesn't include any tiebreaker procedures yet. I'm not messing with that until the final leaderboard.

Up next is Canada/Czech Republic in about half an hour. Everyone predicted a Canada win, it just comes down to the final score (which range as tight as 4-3 and as much of a blowout as 7-2)

Reactions: landshark and NiWa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
3/4 QF update:

Everyone gets a point for the Canada win. Nobody got the score (the closest was landshark, who was 1 Czech goal away from calling it). So....

T-1) NiWa, landshark = 4 points
T-3) one2gamble, slocal, themelkman, LadyStanley = 3 points
T-7) Cas, KarlssonsGroin, Kcoyote3 = 2 points

So all that's left tonight is the USA/Slovakia, which is a unanimously predicted American win and pretty universally a rout (the closest prediction is a 4-2 win, the biggest blowout is a pair of 8-0 thrashing guesses). We'll see if the score holds up on this one to give some people an extra point and a bit more standings separation heading into the semis on Monday.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That's the 4th quarterfinal finished. It was closer than expected, but everyone gets a point out of this game for the USA victory. @one2gamble came within the US empty-netter of getting the score right, but close isn't good enough and nobody predicted 5-2.

So the final tally through the Quarterfinals is

Poster
Pts
Correct Predictions
QF Pts
T-1)​
NiWa
5​
1​
5​
landshark
5​
1​
5​
T-3)​
one2gamble
4​
0​
4​
slocal
4​
0​
4​
themelkman
4​
0​
4​
LadyStanley
4​
0​
4​
T-7)​
Cas
3​
0​
3​
KarlssonsGroin
3​
0​
3​
Kcoyote3
3​
0​
3​
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Also our Semi-final matchups are now set as:

Canada vs Russia - 3:00pm PT
USA vs Finland - 6:30pm PT

You have until puck-drop for the Canada/Russia game to get your predictions in.

And if anyone wants to start late and just try to predict the SFs and medal games you're more than welcome to see if you can score a come-from-behind win.

Same rules for predictions apply.

Reactions: NiWa

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Canada (4) over Russia (2)
United States (4) over Finland (1)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad