HF's Team Board Mock Draft

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand going BPA... To a degree.

I just don't know how some of you think our defense will improve, without ever putting a precedence on drafting defense.

Like are we going to plant a defenseman tree? Or start cloning people? Like, I don't get it...

The first round is typically what, like 2/3 or 3/4 centers? Odds are with BPA you're going to just keep getting forwards, because there's more forwards that get picked.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I understand going BPA... To a degree.

I just don't know how some of you think our defense will improve, without ever putting a precedence on drafting defense.

Like are we going to plant a defenseman tree? Or start cloning people? Like, I don't get it...

The first round is typically what, like 2/3 or 3/4 centers? Odds are with BPA you're going to just keep getting forwards, because there's more forwards that get picked.

Counter argument, you are more likely to find diamonds in the rough on defense in rounds 2+ then you are centers or skilled wingers. All that being said I am surprised you guys aren't voting Bean

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Counter argument, you are more likely to find diamonds in the rough on defense in rounds 2+ then you are centers or skilled wingers. All that being said I am surprised you guys aren't voting Bean

League-wide, maybe.

We've shown a great ability to find diamonds in the rough with forward in later rounds, but no such ability with defenseman. (Nyquist, Tatar, Athanasiou, Filppula, Hudler).

So we need to take higher percentage stabs.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
League-wide, maybe.

We've shown a great ability to find diamonds in the rough with forward in later rounds, but no such ability with defenseman. (Nyquist, Tatar, Athanasiou, Filppula, Hudler).

So we need to take higher percentage stabs.

Just looking at your previous 10 drafts, only 5 of 30 players taken in the 2nd-4th rounds were defensemen. Pretty hard to hit the jackpot with that many picks used on defensemen

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just looking at your previous 10 drafts, only 5 of 30 players taken in the 2nd-4th rounds were defensemen. Pretty hard to hit the jackpot with that many picks used on defensemen

Right, but our GM has said our only draft strategy is to draft best player available, and that never results in us taking defense.

So that to me is kind of questionable for our ability to evaluate defenseman.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Went Rubstov, we usually don't draft D in the first round, even if we need them.

At this point the likelihood that they develop a middle/late first round d prospect into a top pairing D-man is low especially in the next 5 years. I'd rather them go after the best center available and use that to move AA/Nyquist/Tatar/etc for young d-man that's already in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At this point the likelihood that they develop a middle/late first round d prospect into a top pairing D-man is low especially in the next 5 years. I'd rather them go after the best center available and use that to move AA/Nyquist/Tatar/etc for young d-man that's already in the NHL.

Well, Khan recently said teams all want Larkin for the impact defenseman we all want.

So I don't know if this strategy actually works.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

AA/Nyquist/Tatar are not going to return a good young defensemen who is already in the NHL. The reason that the Wings haven't been able to develop defensemen with their first-round picks is that they have spent all of three first-round picks on defensemen in the last 15 years.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
AA/Nyquist/Tatar are not going to return a good young defensemen who is already in the NHL. The reason that the Wings haven't been able to develop defensemen with their first-round picks is that they have spent all of three first-round picks on defensemen in the last 15 years.
Exactly. Besides, there are plenty of teams out there that can handle their own second line center position. It's not like they need to trade away their stud defensemen for one. Or are we projecting whatever forward the Wings draft to be the next Larkin? In which case the Wings wouldn't want to trade him anyway.

Bottom line, if you need defensemen, you need to draft them. Yeah, maybe you don't see them for a couple of years, but if you don't start now, this team will never be in the right position.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'll go with Luke Kunin just make people say 'wtf?'.

I think he'd be a good #2 center to Larkin down the line

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
So according to the ISS, if the draft pans out the way HF fans say it will, the Wings should target McLeod, jones, Rubtsov, or Bean, I suppose?

Interesting.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To all those saying they would take Rubtsov because of "BPA"

You realize that Central Scouting had McAvoy ranked 6th among NA skaters in their final rankings, and TSN had McAvoy at #6 as well, right???

Cause the kid is pretty good.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I really don't want a forward, unless he's actually miles better than the next best D. If we never take our own guys, and instead hope someone will randomly trade us theirs, we're never going to really improve. Especially when our best trade pieces aren't really going to return top tier talent. That it may take a few years for them to play in the NHL is sort of immaterial, given that Larkin and Mrazek aren't on a timer, yet.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
we dont need to concern ourselves about trading nyquist or tatar for a dman because we need to do that AND draft more dmen ourselves

this whole draft should be about dmen and we need to trade away more players and more prospects who we arent going to use for more picks only and use those picks to draft more dmen

its the ONLY way we're going to rebuild the blueline longterm

picks, picks, picks

its been proven over and over the more picks you have the better your cupboard and the better odds you have of drafting your teams future stars

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
To all those saying they would take Rubtsov because of "BPA"

You realize that Central Scouting had McAvoy ranked 6th among NA skaters in their final rankings, and TSN had McAvoy at #6 as well, right???

Cause the kid is pretty good.

We don't have time wait defenceman to pan out. Stockpile forwards and trade some of them for mor proven defencemen.

That's ultimate best bulding plan for us right now. We need a leading defenceman, who is older than Larkin/Mantha/AA to get organizational peak with "better timing".

Our future 1st D should be ~Mrazek aged. Then eveything would look great.

It won't hurt to draft a kid D also, but I see that more as a trade piece for that same need, for more proven defenceman.

Drafting McAvoy and sending him for Shattenkirk could be one scenario.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Count me in the McAvoy fan club, Holland better draft a D we can't afford any BPA nonsense this draft. Its D or bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad