Line Combos: HFPens Decides - Give Sid a RW

Who do you want as Crosby's RW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Get ready for some useless stats from people defending Kap. Kap pretty much has to play in the top 6 because there isn’t anyone one else capable.

Who was capable last year that we don't have now? Hornqvist? The team didn't like him up on those lines. Bottom line is Pens had people like Simon and Sheary in the top 6 all last year so someone like McCann, Tanev, Rodriguez, Poulin, Blueger, and others could give us Simon/Sheary production in those spots.

The good news is we are not starting with people like that in our top 6. So last year we had Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, and non breakout Rust as your only 4 top 6 forwards and most wouldn't of considered Rust a top 6 coming into last year. Players like Simon and other fringe players filled in the other 2 top 6. We would need two top 6 injuries just to get to last year's starting version. For example let's say Zucker and Kapanen went out the lineup looks just as good as our starting top 6 last season.

Guentzel-Crosby-Tanev
McCann-Malkin-Rust

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Galchenyk-Malkin-Rust

Two injuries and we still have about as good a top 6 as we had at the start of last season. You can put a number of other players on that spot instead of Tanev. I just think he would create space and create turnovers with his forecheck and be a good 3rd wheel if needed like Hagelin did in his days with Malkin. Poulin would be a nice choice if he made the team. Bottom line is it doesn't take much to replace Simon/Sheary at RW or Galchenyk at LW. So even with two wingers hurt this team is about as good as the starting version last year.

Pens finished 7th in the NHL with one of Crosby and Malkin out all year and almost one of Rust and Guentzel out for the year with only 25 games having them both at the same time. So the top 6 literally only had 2 real top 6 forwards for much of the year at one time and still managed to have the 7th best record even with their starting goalie playing like crap and missing a top pairing defenseman for all but 28 games leaving JJ to play top pairing defense at times. Also the 3C was out all but 10 games and those games he still was hurt and ineffective. If we could survive last year we can survive anything.:nod::thumbu:

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would hate to break up Malkin and Rust. Rust has never put up those numbers before with Crosby. If I made a switch it would be Guentzel with Malkin and Zucker up with Crosby. I am sure pieces will be moved around but to start the year Malkin and Rust should be a thing until they slump. I really am excited for this top 6! The speed is incredible and all have produced well with the lowest production being 20 goals and 40+ points. Sure beats having the Simon, Sheary, and all the other crap we had in the top 6 last year.

Heck these are better wingers than any of the Crosby Cup winners. 2009 had Kunitz and older Guerin with Crosby and Fedotenko and Talbot with Malkin. 2016 had old .5 ppg Kunitz, rookie Sheary, rookie Rust, and Hornqvist in the top 6. 2017 was the closest with rookie Guentzel, old Kunitz, Kessel, and Hagelin. All take developed Guentzel, Developed Rust, Zucker, and Kapanen over that group still.

While somewhat true Rust produces at a 40-50 pt pace when with Crosby the issue is he often was cycled out of that role to provide balance down the line-up.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Who was capable last year that we don't have now? Hornqvist? The team didn't like him up on those lines. Bottom line is Pens had people like Simon and Sheary in the top 6 all last year so someone like McCann, Tanev, Rodriguez, Poulin, Blueger, and others could give us Simon/Sheary production in those spots.

The good news is we are not starting with people like that in our top 6. So last year we had Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, and non breakout Rust as your only 4 top 6 forwards and most wouldn't of considered Rust a top 6 coming into last year. Players like Simon and other fringe players filled in the other 2 top 6. We would need two top 6 injuries just to get to last year's starting version. For example let's say Zucker and Kapanen went out the lineup looks just as good as our starting top 6 last season.

Guentzel-Crosby-Tanev
McCann-Malkin-Rust

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Galchenyk-Malkin-Rust

Two injuries and we still have about as good a top 6 as we had at the start of last season. You can put a number of other players on that spot instead of Tanev. I just think he would create space and create turnovers with his forecheck and be a good 3rd wheel if needed like Hagelin did in his days with Malkin. Poulin would be a nice choice if he made the team. Bottom line is it doesn't take much to replace Simon/Sheary at RW or Galchenyk at LW. So even with two wingers hurt this team is about as good as the starting version last year.

Pens finished 7th in the NHL with one of Crosby and Malkin out all year and almost one of Rust and Guentzel out for the year with only 25 games having them both at the same time. So the top 6 literally only had 2 real top 6 forwards for much of the year at one time and still managed to have the 7th best record even with their starting goalie playing like crap and missing a top pairing defenseman for all but 28 games leaving JJ to play top pairing defense at times. Also the 3C was out all but 10 games and those games he still was hurt and ineffective. If we could survive last year we can survive anything.:nod::thumbu:
Yes, we had Horny in a pinch. We also had Kahun.

It’s funny that now Simon is considered crap because he’s gone. I always thought he was a vanilla, lousy player, but many of those who disagreed with me now have flip flopped because he’s gone.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
While somewhat true Rust produces at a 40-50 pt pace when with Crosby the issue is he often was cycled out of that role to provide balance down the line-up.

True and also part of his bump in points was the extra PP time due to other forward injuries. So you might be right and he can produce equally with either Center. I actually see Rust, Zucker, and Kapanen as all players that could outpace each other this year. All have 50+ point potential. I see Rust coming back down to around 50 and Kapanen moving up around that number. Zucker is pretty consistent around that number also.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yes, we had Horny in a pinch. We also had Kahun.

It’s funny that now Simon is considered crap because he’s gone. I always thought he was a vanilla, lousy player, but many of those who disagreed with me now have flip flopped because he’s gone.

I don't think anyone thought Simon was a true top 6 forward. His best ever goals in a year is 8 goals and his points best is 28 points. We are talking Rodriguez numbers who actually has 9 goals and 29 points as his best season and without playing with the best player in the world like Simon had. Plus Kahun was no sure fire top 6 coming into last season and obviously proved he isn't and was let go for nothing this summer by the Sabres. I think your grasping at straws to try and save your failing arguments.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ban all the muppets that picked Zucker. So the top line would be Guentzel-Sid-Zucker?

What in the blue f*** is Geno getting? Rust and Kappy as a LW or McCann? Geno getting shafted again. It should be Kapanen, he’s like a more talented Dupuis, he should fit seamlessly with Crosby.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think anyone thought Simon was a true top 6 forward. His best ever goals in a year is 8 goals and his points best is 28 points. We are talking Rodriguez numbers who actually has 9 goals and 29 points as his best season and without playing with the best player in the world like Simon had. Plus Kahun was no sure fire top 6 coming into last season and obviously proved he isn't and was let go for nothing this summer by the Sabres. I think your grasping at straws to try and save your failing arguments.
How many minutes did Kahun play with the top 6? The bloke was on pace for far more than what Roddy Rod and Simple Simon ever would have put up and that was mostly toiling from the 3rd and 4th lines at times and trying to make it work with Chucky and McCann and happily with Horny.

Kahun is a legit top 9 player and could be a solid top 6. If Kapanen is one, Kahun surely is too.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So you’d rather have a McCann Jank Rodrigues third line over some combination of a McCann Kahun Hornqvist line? We also had Bjugstad play on that line in the beginning of the season. He was vastly overpaid, but still leagues better than the current clowns we have in our bottom six that are just happy to have one way deals and enough money to pay rent for the next 12 months.

Im not trying to derail this thread since it’s about Crosby’s winger. I’m just disgusted that so many believe Kap should play with Sid because we overpaid to acquire him. You don’t trade your 15th overall pick and one of your top 3 prospect for a third line player, I get it. But he shouldn’t play with Sid simply because Dubas destroyed JR in the trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So you’d rather have a McCann Jank Rodrigues third line over some combination of a McCann Kahun Hornqvist line? We also had Bjugstad play on that line in the beginning of the season. He was vastly overpaid, but still leagues better than the current clowns we have in our bottom six that are just happy to have one way deals.

I think we saw many years of no success with Hornqvist on the 3rd line. So yes.

I’d prefer to have Kahun back but I’m not sure he’s the consistent point producer a lot of his fans are selling him as.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
How many minutes did Kahun play with the top 6? The bloke was on pace for far more than what Roddy Rod and Simple Simon ever would have put up and that was mostly toiling from the 3rd and 4th lines at times and trying to make it work with Chucky and McCann and happily with Horny.

Kahun is a legit top 9 player and could be a solid top 6. If Kapanen is one, Kahun surely is too.

Then way does no team want him to do that for them??? If Kahun is in the same class as Kapanen then why wouldn't the Sabres even give him a qualifying offer when they had plenty of cap space to do it. Obviously the Pens tried him and didn't like him and the Sabres agreed. Why don't you just look at you points some more because that is what makes a good player.:sarcasm: Stat man!

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Ban all the muppets that picked Zucker. So the top line would be Guentzel-Sid-Zucker?

What in the blue f*** is Geno getting? Rust and Kappy as a LW or McCann? Geno getting shafted again. It should be Kapanen, he’s like a more talented Dupuis, he should fit seamlessly with Crosby.
In this instance Jake is already with Geno, so not exactly shafting him.

But we should still ban the muppets because Zucker on the RW makes zero sense.

Reactions: Gurglesons

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
So you’d rather have a McCann Jank Rodrigues third line over some combination of a McCann Kahun Hornqvist line? We also had Bjugstad play on that line in the beginning of the season. He was vastly overpaid, but still leagues better than the current clowns we have in our bottom six that are just happy to have one way deals and enough money to pay rent for the next 12 months.

Im not trying to derail this thread since it’s about Crosby’s winger. I’m just disgusted that so many believe Kap should play with Sid because we overpaid to acquire him. You don’t trade your 15th overall pick and one of your top 3 prospect for a third line player, I get it. But he shouldn’t play with Sid simply because Dubas destroyed JR in the trade.

For some reason the Pens didn't like Kahun and neither did the Sabres who didn't even qualify him. So that is a pretty obvious no for him because they see him everyday and don't want any part of him. It was time to move on from Hornqvist and I love him for all he did for this team over the years. The 3rd line was old and ineffective with Hornqvist and Marleau on McCann's wings. That line got eaten alive as bad as our 3rd defense pairing. Bjugstad was worthless last year so Jankowski couldn't do worse than his production.

I don't think Rodriguez will win that spot but he is a nice insurance policy to have considering he has better career highs in goals and points than Simon and he did it without playing with Crosby. I think someone like Poulin is going to earn that last top 9 spot. All the prospects are going to be in mid season form when camp starts and I could very easily see a prospect jump up and take that spot and others. Prospects have a huge advantage this year compared to any other year. So if someone like Marino can come out of nowhere right out of college don't be surprised if someone like O'Connor, Maniscalco, or one of those European prospects put up a fight in camp. It is like they are getting another full year of development by being able to come into camp after playing 30+ games.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Here we are ready for battle @Honour Over Glory im William Wallace..And I got Hartnell on the top left

public-news-223017-muppets--2x1--940.jpg

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Geno already has Jake. It'd be something weird like:

Rust/McCann-Crosby-Zucker
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust/Kapanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad