Line Combos: HFPens Decides - Give Sid a RW

Who do you want as Crosby's RW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Where's Conner Sheary when you need him for a poll?

ShyYellowDeinonychus-size_restricted.gif

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
When he's been very happy to have tunnel vision Rust and no hands Dupuis on his line? I doubt that very much.

Dupuis had good chemistry and the brain to overcome his flaws. I don't see that in Tanev. Rust can still make the tic tac toe plays with Sid and I think has worked on his game to be a better player.

There's no doubt Sid is getting one of Guentzel or Rust (possibly both). I know this is a what we want to see though but from what I've seen of Tanev I don't think it'd be a good fit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Dupuis had good chemistry and the brain to overcome his flaws. I don't see that in Tanev. Rust can still make the tic tac toe plays with Sid and I think has worked on his game to be a better player.

There's no doubt Sid is getting one of Guentzel or Rust (possibly both). I know this is a what we want to see though but from what I've seen of Tanev I don't think it'd be a good fit.

Tanev's got a pretty solid hockey IQ. I dunno about the chemistry, but maybe he can make it happen.

And I pretty much straight up disagree with tunnel vision Rust bein able to make tic tac toe plays. We could also look at Jared McCann as similar. Sid's got a real record for being happy to play with flawed speedy grinders and that's exactly what Tanev is.

Reactions: Hungamania

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Tanev's got a pretty solid hockey IQ. I dunno about the chemistry, but maybe he can make it happen.

And I pretty much straight up disagree with tunnel vision Rust bein able to make tic tac toe plays. We could also look at Jared McCann as similar. Sid's got a real record for being happy to play with flawed speedy grinders and that's exactly what Tanev is.

I really enjoy Tanev but he is exactly what he is, I don't think he's hiding untapped talent. He's a great bottom 6 guy to have and especially with the stars getting older assess everything via playoffs. When the games get tight and Sid and his LW get contained is Tanev the guy to break through? He's not one I would bet on. Can he fill in here and there in the regular season when needed? Sure.

Are you reading a Rust scouting report from before last season? Because he certainly was part of several slick plays in 2019...his offensive game exploded last year and surpassed what anyone could've imagined. Tanev is not doing that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I really enjoy Tanev but he is exactly what he is, I don't think he's hiding untapped talent. He's a great bottom 6 guy to have and especially with the stars getting older assess everything via playoffs. When the games get tight and Sid and his LW get contained is Tanev the guy to break through? He's not one I would bet on. Can he fill in here and there in the regular season when needed? Sure.

Are you reading a Rust scouting report from before last season? Because he certainly was part of several slick plays in 2019...his offensive game exploded last year and surpassed what anyone could've imagined. Tanev is not doing that.

I am not saying this is who Rust is today - I am saying that the version of Rust I am describing got a ton of time with Sid. And that saying Sid would shun a guy like Tanev when he was with that version of Rust a lot is an eyebrow raiser for me.

I'm not sure how well Tanev with Crosby would work. But I'm not totally sure how Kapanen would do either and if Tanev did work with Sid, then all of a sudden you have three very good lines, because Kapanen can score a bunch on the third line. Sid's ability to go toe to toe with top lines - which you know is coming - benefits a lot from Tanev too.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I am not saying this is who Rust is today - I am saying that the version of Rust I am describing got a ton of time with Sid. And that saying Sid would shun a guy like Tanev when he was with that version of Rust a lot is an eyebrow raiser for me.

I'm not sure how well Tanev with Crosby would work. But I'm not totally sure how Kapanen would do either and if Tanev did work with Sid, then all of a sudden you have three very good lines, because Kapanen can score a bunch on the third line. Sid's ability to go toe to toe with top lines - which you know is coming - benefits a lot from Tanev too.

I think you see O'Connor / Lafferty up with Sid before Tanev tbh. But, I agree with your view and I imagine Sullivan does despite what he is selling in interviews.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you see O'Connor / Lafferty up with Sid before Tanev tbh. But, I agree with your view and I imagine Sullivan does despite what he is selling in interviews.

Tanev's a weird one to call as Sully really likes him with Blueger, but we know how quick his mood can change. Can't call on O'Connor until we see him, but I feel like Lafferty lost a bunch of ground. Rodrigues would probably be my guess for a bottom sixer to suddenly get into the top six though.

But yeah, the big thing is I do generically just hope to find a way to get some of that top six scoring into the bottom six though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm tempted to go full psycho and suggest

Zucker-Crosby-Tanev
GMR
McCann-Blueger-Kapanen

Because that's a lot of scoring talent on the third line (fingers crossed) and I think a lot of things Tanev does fit well with Sid, but, well, I think the right answer here is Kapanen...

I take back what I said about Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen. Now Zucker-Crosby-Tanev, THAT would be KCD 2.0 :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Tanev would be short lived for the same reasons Horny was. I don't think Tanev has enough raw skill to play the puck possession game Sid wants down low. I think Horny's dump and chase style irked Sid as then it put him in the mode of having to dump and chase and forecheck too. As Sid "slows" I think he's gonna want quick and skilled guys to makes plays off of similar to what Jake and Sheary could do. I don't think he wants to play the hard, fast forecheck game anymore. Just my opinion though.

Tanev's a weird one to call as Sully really likes him with Blueger, but we know how quick his mood can change. Can't call on O'Connor until we see him, but I feel like Lafferty lost a bunch of ground. Rodrigues would probably be my guess for a bottom sixer to suddenly get into the top six though.

But yeah, the big thing is I do generically just hope to find a way to get some of that top six scoring into the bottom six though.

Lafferty was a victim of his own success though. Looked bomb in camp and when he's get the chance, he put up numbers very early on which set the expectation and hope. He didn't have the luxury of being judged like a regular WBS call up. When he began to struggle and cool off, he needed to be sent down to WBS to recharge a bit but the injuries began to pile up and they couldn't (I mean, they COULD have but the depth was too thin realistically). So I think he languished a bit in the NHL and that ultimately hurt him mid to late season. He got a nice break and reset and then came back and looked bomb in camp again. So I hope they balance some things out for him.

My hope for Lafferty is that he starts in WBS and then gets spot duty up here until things shake out. I'd love for him to be at the 40 game mark in the NHL with the remainder in the minors or in the press box. I would love to see Poulin and Legare get their 7 games before a decision is made on them as well. When your bottom 6 looks like it does...you need to give everyone the chance.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Kap’s got a lot of speed and skill but he’s also a dumb player. Playing smart and thinking the game along Crosby’s wavelength seems to be his most wanted criteria for his wingers.

Reactions: EightyOne

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Kap’s got a lot of speed and skill but he’s also a dumb player. Playing smart and thinking the game along Crosby’s wavelength seems to be his most wanted criteria for his wingers.
Get ready for some useless stats from people defending Kap. Kap pretty much has to play in the top 6 because there isn’t anyone one else capable.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Rust. Because I think Zucker - Malkin - Kapanen is a better fit of skill sets.

I would hate to break up Malkin and Rust. Rust has never put up those numbers before with Crosby. If I made a switch it would be Guentzel with Malkin and Zucker up with Crosby. I am sure pieces will be moved around but to start the year Malkin and Rust should be a thing until they slump. I really am excited for this top 6! The speed is incredible and all have produced well with the lowest production being 20 goals and 40+ points. Sure beats having the Simon, Sheary, and all the other crap we had in the top 6 last year.

Heck these are better wingers than any of the Crosby Cup winners. 2009 had Kunitz and older Guerin with Crosby and Fedotenko and Talbot with Malkin. 2016 had old .5 ppg Kunitz, rookie Sheary, rookie Rust, and Hornqvist in the top 6. 2017 was the closest with rookie Guentzel, old Kunitz, Kessel, and Hagelin. All take developed Guentzel, Developed Rust, Zucker, and Kapanen over that group still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad