OT: HFPens Community Lounge: The Summer is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
View attachment 459646

This is like the 3rd driver I've had with an unfortunate name. This one taking the cake.
You have to wonder if the parents are trolling at this point.

Is it like this in your area too @Honour Over Glory?

It's quite random, a lot of Jeff's, Mike's, Aktar's, Zaib's, Quan, etc. I have noticed all of these delivery blokes (male, female, all races) have this double dipping in play.

You always see them with 2 people in the car, you know why?
Because 1 is on Skip, the other is on DoorDash, which is why if you ever watched on the delivery GPS tracker, these :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: are going random routes to your place that make zero sense on a driving standpoint, but then you realize they're dropping off multiple orders. So a delivery that should take 15mins, is 25mins and they try to utilize "traffic" as the cause when you know better.

I stopped using both for that reason last year.

On one hand, I get it, they want to make the money, I don't know how the services pay, but they also get tipped and there are servicing fees that are quite ridiculous on either or. But on the other hand, you use the app to get food when you are too busy to or don't have a ride, so you are hoping to get warm food, not reheat fast food because some wanker has multiple orders on multiple phones going.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So what is a good security system I should look into? I should have a new window any day now, just need a good security system...preferably with cameras and maybe motion sensors. Or should I just look for local shit? Soon I am going to learn how to box so I can beat the shit out of anyone trying to break into my home again.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
You always see them with 2 people in the car, you know why?
Because 1 is on Skip, the other is on DoorDash, which is why if you ever watched on the delivery GPS tracker, these :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: are going random routes to your place that make zero sense on a driving standpoint, but then you realize they're dropping off multiple orders. So a delivery that should take 15mins, is 25mins and they try to utilize "traffic" as the cause when you know better.
Very good point. It being 15 mins later is a small matter for me though.

And I do think we should be supporting the drivers in the midst of a pandemic, especially when we were peaking and restricted heavily. They are helping.

It's true though that often my food arrives less than hot. I'm not picky, so it doesn't bother me, but can understand that POV.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Very good point. It being 15 mins later is a small matter for me though.

And I do think we should be supporting the drivers in the midst of a pandemic, especially when we were peaking and restricted heavily. They are helping.

It's true though that often my food arrives less than hot. I'm not picky, so it doesn't bother me, but can understand that POV.
I don't mind supporting the drivers.

It's the way those companies gouge the smaller restaurants that I take issue with. I had a great conversation with some local mom & pop places in Kits that I frequented with my wife and they told me how much Skip/Dash screw them and that it's unfortunate because it's the only way they can still stay open but they barely break even unless more people picked it up themselves. So I started to do that. Those drivers get a min wage + tips, the fees those services charge small restaurants is awful.

Skip The Dishes adds 'B.C. Fee' due to province's commission cap - NEWS 1130.

“You know, I don’t fault these companies — they’re brilliant. I’m not languishing in the fact that we’ve capped the fees here, but the fact is, they’re kind of running away and taking advantage of an industry that’s in real trouble right now,” he tells NEWS 1130. “This is going to make a big difference to it. If we would have continued at the 25 to 35 per cent commissions, I think you would see a lot of businesses go out of business pretty quick.”
He explains a restaurant might make $2 on a $50 order, but with a cap on fees, that bumps up the profit to $7 or $8, “which is so critical right now.”

Food delivery app fees for restaurants capped at 15 per cent in B.C. - NEWS 1130

It's temporary since the last 7 months, but for an entire year we lost a ton of restaurants and jobs around here, as usual this province is super slow at everything.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So what is a good security system I should look into? I should have a new window any day now, just need a good security system...preferably with cameras and maybe motion sensors. Or should I just look for local shit? Soon I am going to learn how to box so I can beat the shit out of anyone trying to break into my home again.

Here's a couple I looked at to not break your bank (I assume you don't want to spend 700+ on a camera.)

https://www.amazon.com/EZVIZ-C3W-ezGuard-1080p-Pre-Installed/dp/B079DBY2M6/
Wyze Cam V3 Review

https://www.amazon.ca/Vision-Indoor...s=Wyze+v3&qid=1628229580&s=electronics&sr=1-1
ReviewMeta.com: Wyze Cam v3 1080p HD IndWyze Cam v3 1080p HD Indoor/Outdoor Video Camera with Color Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa & The Google Assistant, and IFTTT Amazon Review Analysis

Seems like the Wyze ones are the ones you should go with, as you can buy a few more of those at that price and place them in areas you want to track.

Reactions: 66-30-33

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Thanks, looking at them now.

I'd try to find one that you can place at entrances he's broken into and try to catch him that way, there's also flood lights that are powered by solar panel that I've seen some of my neighbors put up on their homes, they seem to work very well and should be easy to find. So at the least, if you have a camera outside and the panel is facing in a way that if he comes close enough to any point of entry, the lights go on and the camera is in view to get a really good shot of him, you can also get an alert and set off the alarm on the camera and the flood lights should make him easy to spot for anyone outside that checks what the racket is.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd try to find one that you can place at entrances he's broken into and try to catch him that way, there's also flood lights that are powered by solar panel that I've seen some of my neighbors put up on their homes, they seem to work very well and should be easy to find. So at the least, if you have a camera outside and the panel is facing in a way that if he comes close enough to any point of entry, the lights go on and the camera is in view to get a really good shot of him, you can also get an alert and set off the alarm on the camera and the flood lights should make him easy to spot for anyone outside that checks what the racket is.

He found a place hidden from the bushes. Was thinking of adding some bars on the windows.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll stick a sign on the window saying "gun owner" LOL.
Nah get the bars put in professionally in all of your windows first, then your doors should have a proper deadbolt (strike plate and reinforce the hinges) and reinforced to make sure it can't be kicked in. Then also add flood lights that light up in those areas nice and bright so it's noticeable to the entire area.

Only after that should you get cameras.

Googled what I was talking about to give you a better idea - https://dailyhomesafety.com/secure-a-door-from-being-kicked-in/

The only camera's I have at my place are in certain areas (side of the home, backyard, front yard, one facing the garage) and then the doorbell camera and another one facing onto the street with a wide angle view because back in Seattle/Bellevue, some :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: would always try to steal your mail/packages.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Nah get the bars put in professionally in all of your windows first, then your doors should have a proper deadbolt (strike plate and reinforce the hinges) and reinforced to make sure it can't be kicked in. Then also add flood lights that light up in those areas nice and bright so it's noticeable to the entire area.

Only after that should you get cameras.

Googled what I was talking about to give you a better idea - https://dailyhomesafety.com/secure-a-door-from-being-kicked-in/

The only camera's I have at my place are in certain areas (side of the home, backyard, front yard, one facing the garage) and then the doorbell camera and another one facing onto the street with a wide angle view because back in Seattle/Bellevue, some :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: would always try to steal your mail/packages.
Man what happened? back in the day as kids we could leave our doors unlocked (not that we did), now we have to resort to extremes. Stay safe over there m8.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't mind supporting the drivers.

It's the way those companies gouge the smaller restaurants that I take issue with. I had a great conversation with some local mom & pop places in Kits that I frequented with my wife and they told me how much Skip/Dash screw them and that it's unfortunate because it's the only way they can still stay open but they barely break even unless more people picked it up themselves. So I started to do that. Those drivers get a min wage + tips, the fees those services charge small restaurants is awful.

Skip The Dishes adds 'B.C. Fee' due to province's commission cap - NEWS 1130.

Food delivery app fees for restaurants capped at 15 per cent in B.C. - NEWS 1130

It's temporary since the last 7 months, but for an entire year we lost a ton of restaurants and jobs around here, as usual this province is super slow at everything.
Very fair. They are overstepping their bounds. A lot of local restaurants went out of business here in PoCo. Even a long standing McDonalds did, which is right in the square.

Well aware of the B.C. fee. There was a lot of backlash about it. Just wondering if it's here to stay.

Our province is slow at everything because of how the climate affects people's behavior. That's a major contributing factor anyway.
Not enough hotheads causing problems :)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Very fair. They are overstepping their bounds. A lot of local restaurants went out of business here in PoCo. Even a long standing McDonalds did, which is right in the square.

Well aware of the B.C. fee. There was a lot of backlash about it. Just wondering if it's here to stay.

Our province is slow at everything because of how the climate affects people's behavior. That's a major contributing factor anyway.
Not enough hotheads causing problems :)
Those anti vax :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: that paraded down cambie a few months back, they might all be dead so no one out there to rustle some jimmies as it were.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know a few of you are from europe... but any of you been to dublin?

I'm sure there's some Irish and UK members who can chime in on this better than I, but I've been to Dublin several times for conferences and it's beautiful and lots of fun. It's also insanely expensive for its size.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

My personal choice for alarm systems is a german shepherd. Costs roughly 500 from an independent seller and from there roughly 60ish odd dollars a month in upkeep (food, a toy or two etc) with a looming yearly check-up and shots slamming home at probably 4-500 dollars a visit. They will eventually get sick too.... but, good company and they are always happy to see you...

People are afraid to walk down near my dogs area let alone come to break in.... they're afraid he might get out and chase them down the way...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm sure there's some Irish and UK members who can chime in on this better than I, but I've been to Dublin several times for conferences and it's beautiful and lots of fun. It's also insanely expensive for its size.

Cities have become absolute no-go-zones for me anymore... but I'd still wish to go to cities in europe... or to see castles in the bog or something.
CASTLES!

CASTLES!!!

I never seen anything ancient in my life.... well.... no... I think I saw the Mayan sights.... but I honestly think it was in passing. I've no pictures or keep sakes of it. Castles seem very related to my past... heritage.... watever. Just seems like it's calling me to come visit / live there.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just went to a castle last weekend, actually. I had to take a group of students. :laugh:

So cool. Could you go inside of it or was it one you can't go too close.

Not even sure if they have ones you can't go in, but I imagine some are off-limits.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
My personal choice for alarm systems is a german shepherd. Costs roughly 500 from an independent seller and from there roughly 60ish odd dollars a month in upkeep (food, a toy or two etc) with a looming yearly check-up and shots slamming home at probably 4-500 dollars a visit. They will eventually get sick too.... but, good company and they are always happy to see you...

People are afraid to walk down near my dogs area let alone come to break in.... they're afraid he might get out and chase them down the way...
House is kinda small for a big dog, normally i'd get a cat. Cats/dogs don't get bored/lonely with me around.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
House is kinda small for a big dog, normally i'd get a cat. Cats/dogs don't get bored/lonely with me around.
Well, how about try something like Ferris Bueller (sp?)

Only record a big nasty sounding barking dog and have it playing on a speaker loud enough someone could hear if they were casing your joint.

I wouldn't take that risk if I were casing soft / hard targets... would you? =P

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So cool. Could you go inside of it or was it one you can't go too close.

Not even sure if they have ones you can't go in, but I imagine some are off-limits.
c
Nah, it was totally walk-able for an entrance fee of roughly $3.50. There's tons of castles or ruins of castles here in Central Europe, but they're not as fancy as you'd expect with some exceptions. Kokořínský hrad (the castle we went to) looks like this:

b48cdd27-65e1-4be3-8fa1-46474eeafe89.jpg

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
When Wow Air (Iceland) existed I was planning a trip to Scotland. Was going to go to the TRNSMT Festival in Glasgow and was planning on hitting up a few castles and distilleries (not even much of a Scotch drinking). Clearly this never happened.

Anyway, I'm back in Wytheville visiting my girlfriend. This time it was only 6 weeks since I saw her last instead of 16 months. Too bad she's gotta work since deaths, in general, are up in the area. She said they got a few stinky bodies in the last few weeks. One was in a house without A/C for at least 4 days.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Every once in a while I'll replay an old title from my childhood. My current pick is Skies of Arcadia... the "Legends" Gamecube version. Although I originally played it on the Dreamcast.

It's... awfully cutesy. But my goodness... super addictive even to this day. And a pretty unique setting and concept. Possibly even in my top 5 JRPGs ever.

It's always fascinating to see how well these games hold up. How much is just nostalgia... how badly it's aged. This one is still a champ.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Every once in a while I'll replay an old title from my childhood. My current pick is Skies of Arcadia... the "Legends" Gamecube version. Although I originally played it on the Dreamcast.

It's... awfully cutesy. But my goodness... super addictive even to this day. And a pretty unique setting and concept. Possibly even in my top 5 JRPGs ever.

It's always fascinating to see how well these games hold up. How much is just nostalgia... how badly it's aged. This one is still a champ.

My big beef with Skies of Arcadia is the insane amount of random encounters you have to deal with. But yeah, it's a great setting and lots of fun.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad