OT: HFPens Community Lounge: The Summer is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I got through half of the show before I needed a long break, it's just so many unlikable characters on that show.

I started watching A.P Bio and low and behold, more unlikable characters, the lot of them.

Vic is likeable... even though they show him committing murder in the first episode....

Dutch is likeable... he's funny / cute / shy long before he starts imitating serial killers (to see what they see / feel) and snapping cats necks...

But... I say Vic is likeable only because.... actually... when thinking about what to say before typing I knew what to say. Now that I'm typing it - I'm not so sure why Vic is likeable or why I like him. Lem(on Head) and Ronny are much more neutral up until they aren't... well... Lem kinda is. Shane is a dirt bag and so is Vic... but I'd say vic is likeable because he's actually a good effective cop in the shit nasty uglier parts of the streets not just anyone will walk down, let alone shake-down and form working relationships with....
But yeah... he's really.... REALLY dirty...

like I said before though.... I'm on the final season now... s7.... and they did all that dirty stuff for money and are flat broke, hunted and dying one by one.... hah... such a slap in the face of irony for them...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just found out the book series I'm reading has a Starz series adaption....

Going to check that out after I read far enough into the books to check out how faithful it is...

I was reading the books thinking.... man, this would make a great show / movie... it'd be so easy to adapt it's all laid out on the table.
I guess that's what the books to tv/movies people thought too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Vic is likeable... even though they show him committing murder in the first episode....

Dutch is likeable... he's funny / cute / shy long before he starts imitating serial killers (to see what they see / feel) and snapping cats necks...

But... I say Vic is likeable only because.... actually... when thinking about what to say before typing I knew what to say. Now that I'm typing it - I'm not so sure why Vic is likeable or why I like him. Lem(on Head) and Ronny are much more neutral up until they aren't... well... Lem kinda is. Shane is a dirt bag and so is Vic... but I'd say vic is likeable because he's actually a good effective cop in the shit nasty uglier parts of the streets not just anyone will walk down, let alone shake-down and form working relationships with....
But yeah... he's really.... REALLY dirty...

like I said before though.... I'm on the final season now... s7.... and they did all that dirty stuff for money and are flat broke, hunted and dying one by one.... hah... such a slap in the face of irony for them...

None of the character's on the Shield are likable. That's the whole point.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

I like Vic though =P

Not saying he isn't a total piece of shit... if he were real and he was my adversary I'd loathe co-existing with him... loathe being friendly... well ... no.... I just would never get into the shit with him.

I worked a lot of police work... you need half crazy guys like him...

Ehhh.. I like him show wise... though he should never have done the stupid shit he did... murder for one... more than once.
Tough to type everything I want to say when I'm running out the door... I'll write more tomorrow over coffee.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Ok... bit more time to think.

So, nobody is likeable on the show? I donno about that.

It shows the players at their most vulnerable on that show. Dutch is probably the most likeable, yet he still does shitty things (nobody is a saint). He's reminiscent of a curious child that never had the freedom to be a kid doing kid things and grew up always wondering.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Mood:

20210801_102234.jpg

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

It shows the players at their most vulnerable on that show. Dutch is probably the most likeable, yet he still does shitty things (nobody is a saint). He's reminiscent of a curious child that never had the freedom to be a kid doing kid things and grew up always wondering.

If people start sympathizing with people on the Shield, it's the same problem the Sopranos had-- they're all fascinating, well-written, flawed characters who we're supposed to not like. :laugh: I can't count how many times the Sopranos beat you over the head with the fact that these guys aren't just scumbags, they're idiots, they're abusive, they're fake, they're everything shitty about late 90s American culture, and more over, the real actual mafiosi in Italy just keep laughing at how dumb these f***ing idiots from Jersey are.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Lem was the only likeable character and ultimately he was just as evil as everyone else.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Thanks to y'all, I started watching The Shield last night. Only watched the first two episodes. I remember the ads on TV for this and recall Michael Chiklis being way fatter.

Only two episodes?

It didn't really sink in with me that this show is going to be a wild ride for 7 seasons... oh until five or six episodes in.
At that point I started wondering if there was ever a bad (slow / boring) episode with filler content crap...

The answer is, no. Damn good show, damn good! Start to finish... some seasons aren't as knock out, slam dunk good as others, but they are all good.

I too was told, by my besty no less, to watch this show over and over, it's so good!!! Watch it!!!
Never cared too. Wasn't into those kind of shows / series as a 20 year old... too busy chasing girls and everything else...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Lem was the only likeable character and ultimately he was just as evil as everyone else.

Awww come on man!!!
How can't you have a soft spot for poor dutchy boy?

Unless he does something in season 7 that really sours his character?

---
Now I can't talk about spoilers openly if nubsy is only on season 1.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Holy hell man... We were visiting yesterday and we decided on ordering grotto pizza, since it'd been years since any of us ate there and wifey, never.

Figured go with the chicken cheesesteak, used to get that when I worked near there, was around 8 or 9 dollars with fries/chips. Wifey said that sounded good, ordered wifey the same, plain with fries.

"That everything?"
"That is all"
"20-25 minutes...... 31 dollars (something something change)"
"Okay, thanks!"

Got off the phone... thinking..... 'wat just happened!?' Thought about all the food I could buy from the grocer and eat with nearly 32 dollars and said **** that! It's thin sliced chicken like those 'steak-ums' strips for cheese steaks... no way...

Called back, "Hey I just ordered the two chicken cheesesteaks.... is there some kind of mistake? You said 30 some dollars?"
"let me check.... nope!" "ok... well.... I hope they didn't start prepping it up because I just can not pay 30 dollars for two subs... I have to cancel that order..." "okay, no problem! Goodbye. *click*"

I figured they'd call back and say, well... how's 20$ sound, since we already started cooking it - or something. Nope. I know they'll probably offer it off on the people at the bar half price or the employee's or free...

Guess my point is... who in the **** is going to eat at that place with those prices? It's not NYC or some major city... wth.
Went to a local pizza joint and got a sicilian pie for 12$ that fed three with a slice or two for the next day.
Man.... no wonder businesses are dropping left and right....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thanks to y'all, I started watching The Shield last night. Only watched the first two episodes. I remember the ads on TV for this and recall Michael Chiklis being way fatter.

JUST ANOTHER DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

It's weird how terrible the theme song is when they used like Magnetic Fields and shit whenever they had poignant moments in the show.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Not that it makes it right or whatever but meat prices ARE kinda nuts, right now.

That probably has at least a little to do with it.

I understand prices are going wild, but I can't really excuse the outrageous price when I bought two filet mignon steaks from the grocery store for roughly 18-19 dollars.

They don't use the 'real' chicken breasts in these things, ya know? They are like those 'steak-ums' strips.... and fries / potatoes are not expensive... if they are even real, which I doubt, probably more than likely frozen and shipped in.

Maybe 30 with drinks / appetizer / delivery... I get that... but just a plain bare minimum meal... I was shocked. Still am.

On top of that, you know they don't cook with care, like you would at home... the fries would most likely be soggy... quickly thrown together... I mean...... and I'm done with it already after this... it's just there is no justification or rationale you could use to get me to pay 30 dollars for two sandwiches.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I understand prices are going wild, but I can't really excuse the outrageous price when I bought two filet mignon steaks from the grocery store for roughly 18-19 dollars.

They don't use the 'real' chicken breasts in these things, ya know? They are like those 'steak-ums' strips.... and fries / potatoes are not expensive... if they are even real, which I doubt, probably more than likely frozen and shipped in.

Maybe 30 with drinks / appetizer / delivery... I get that... but just a plain bare minimum meal... I was shocked. Still am.

On top of that, you know they don't cook with care, like you would at home... the fries would most likely be soggy... quickly thrown together... I mean...... and I'm done with it already after this... it's just there is no justification or rationale you could use to get me to pay 30 dollars for two sandwiches.

This is all basically why I struggle to ever justify paying to eat from a restaurant unless I'm traveling.

Growing up poor-ish leaves a weird mark on what you will or won't justify paying for. There's this part of my brain that sees any menu with higher prices than the King's menu circa 1996 as an absurd rip-off...suffice to say this thought process just leaves me tired and hungry in LA.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
JUST ANOTHER DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

It's weird how terrible the theme song is when they used like Magnetic Fields and shit whenever they had poignant moments in the show.

That theme song is an actual song? As in it was before the show?
Figured they made that for the show... never bothered to look into it.
I always say to my kid during the theme song.... "living the good life".. heh

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is all basically why I struggle to ever justify paying to eat from a restaurant unless I'm traveling.

Growing up poor-ish leaves a weird mark on what you will or won't justify paying for. There's this part of my brain that sees any menu with higher prices than the King's menu circa 1996 as an absurd rip-off...suffice to say this thought process just leaves me tired and hungry in LA.

I like a lot of things about going out to eat at a good restaurant. But I also love to cook and am not bad at it.

So like... it's often hard to justify. The best burgers I've had I've made... the best steaks I've had I've made... etc.

Usually when I go out I try to at least get something I won't/can't easily make at home.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Yep. Can't say I am not with you all day on that.

Made a rule to _never_ eat out at a joint where I can't physically see the food being cooked in front of me.

The rock I had in my chinese food a month or three back was the crushing blow to allowing exceptions.

Now it's only if I go to eat with my father for breakfast.... which is still painful... local mom and pop shop was so slammed last week or two ago went to IHOP... place is an absolute disgrace. Just total shit food man... the bread came out with soggy toast and liquid butter thrown on top of it.... who the f*** would eat that!?

For lunch at work I bring fruit.. usually banana's (for the sugar) and granola bars. I'll make a sandwich or something if I need. Other people order out every. single. day. Not only is it absolutely disgusting food... they probably spend 1/5 or more of their pay check eating that crap.

I'm done with it all now outside of the occasional pizza and breakfast.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I like a lot of things about going out to eat at a good restaurant. But I also love to cook and am not bad at it.

So like... it's often hard to justify. The best burgers I've had I've made... the best steaks I've had I've made... etc.

Usually when I go out I try to at least get something I won't/can't easily make at home.

Man I wish I wasn't a horrendous cook...or that cooking didn't hurt my back so much...or that I had any interest in cooking in the slightest...

$12-15 a person for anything close to a special meal... Which id class a fat philly cheesesteak as.. I wouldn't even bat an eye in CA.

Yeah...

Yeah.

At least I'm better at justifying paying for meals if the place I'm eating at is local/family-run. At least that's a viable option around here...almost everywhere we ate at when I was a kid was a chain. Aside from getting In-N-Out maybe once a year and coffee I just don't go to any chains and haven't for a long-ass time (exception: travel...anything bought at an airport/station/driving pit stop doesn't count).

Still. $12-15 is basic scrambled eggs & bacon breakfast territory here. Any carbohydrate adds $5. Hard to justify that too often.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
$12-15 a person for anything close to a special meal... Which id class a fat philly cheesesteak as.. I wouldn't even bat an eye in CA.

Yep, cities or expensive areas, I get it.

Lived in DC for a few years, 20 some bucks for burgers and fries from 5 guys was totally understandable. The place was on point every single time and worth it. Plus cooked right in front of you with REAL potatoes... etc etc

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Man I wish I wasn't a horrendous cook...or that cooking didn't hurt my back so much...or that I had any interest in cooking in the slightest...

Well I mostly grew up in something of a food desert and my parents were very particular about what they fed me. So like... no fast food or TV dinners growing up. I think that had an effect.

I also just really got into it during the college years because I could save so much money. Made a lot of curries, actually. Cheap, delicious and store-able.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->