OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Or Ogrezilla and LOGiK's Nerd Thread ;)

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I mean of course they don't kill or catch the main bad guys in the first half of the show so that complaint won't go away, but I think you'll like 5. If nothing else there's a better reasoning behind it than simple bumbling :laugh:

I love Juno Temple, Steve from Stranger Things, and Jonn Hamm in 5 so much. And Wayne. Really I just love the cast as a whole. It's got some nonsense along the way because of course, but the actual plot is reasonably straight forward once it all comes together.
I been looking at jon hamm doing his best geralt in the hot tub impression for weeks now wondering which season he was in, of course, the last one... so I have been looking forward to it!!! Likeable characters goes a long way with me =]

mine's all the way down in Florida too. She's had to be in an assisted home for a while now though, because they refused to move back up north where the bulk of the family is.
Mine refused the assisted living / nursing home. Then required everyone going to her which was massive problems. This time she isn't getting out of it... she is a danger to herself. That hurts me... she always wanted to go to the afterlife from home. Not like an ..... ya know.....
Always said we'd take her in before we let her go that way...... but she is to the point it is near impossible for one or two to take care of her.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Mine refused the assisted living / nursing home. Then required everyone going to her which was massive problems. This time she isn't getting out of it... she is a danger to herself. That hurts me... she always wanted to go to the afterlife from home. Not like an ..... ya know.....
Always said we'd take her in before we let her go that way...... but she is to the point it is near impossible for one or two to take care of her.
oh she refused to for a while, but once neither her or my grandpa could drive and they refused to move near anybody they were eventually convinced. Mess of a situation honestly.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I started Napoleon last night. I couldn’t finish it. I’m gonna give it another try this afternoon. If I were to give it a score it would be sub 5/10.
I thought it was decent. Not an action movie if thats what you were hoping/wanting going in.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I thought it was decent. Not an action movie if thats what you were hoping/wanting going in.
No, I actually found the gore to be excessive. I didn’t need to see a horse get hit with a cannon ball lol. Overall I just thought the movie was boring.

This might be a hot take, but I think Joaquin Phoenix is an extremely overrated actor.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I will add it's better to watch the Dark Side episode of the Von Erich's after the movie. The movie does take a lot of liberties with the story. I mean to omit Chris because Durkin felt the deaths were repetitive and similar and it threw off the flow is idiotic. It happened. These deaths happen because of other situations, Kerry for example wanted to join his brothers and when you take out that other suicide, it minimizes his pain and hurt even more than what is shown. It's about the family and the "curse" Kevin believed was real because of the tragedies. The time lines are also off for how things happen. Some happen right after big events when in actuality they don't.

It's not to say it isn't a good movie. It is. But only if you aren't familiar with the real story and watched any of them wrestle on TV at some point. Also if you saw the Dark Side episode first it'll make you say ok but why did they leave so much shit out?

I feel like this would have been an amazing HBO Mini Series. 4 episodes 1hr long would cover this properly and do it more justice than the movie did.

I see blokes rated it highly (7.9/10) I would say it's 6/10 at best. Enjoyable but another movie that should have been a mini series or show.

The casting choices were fantastic. Efron I know had some facial injury but to have his face change that much is bizarre. It's hard not to wonder wtf really happened other than what's been reported.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No, I actually found the gore to be excessive. I didn’t need to see a horse get hit with a cannon ball lol. Overall I just thought the movie was boring.

This might be a hot take, but I think Joaquin Phoenix is an extremely overrated actor.
Definitely a hot take. Phoenix is a fantastic actor but the issue always ends up being Directors wanting the right actors for the wrong roles and Actors taking roles they want vs what they're best suited for. He's been cast in things that don't make sense. Napoleon was one of those movies where you knew it was going to be f***ing stupid just for that casting alone. It was one of those "tell me you don't understand what you're doing with out telling me you don't understand" and it was casting Joaquin as Napoleon.

Like mate, ffs Bill & Ted cast Napoleon better.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Definitely a hot take. Phoenix is a fantastic actor but the issue always ends up being Directors wanting the right actors for the wrong roles and Actors taking roles they want vs what they're best suited for. He's been cast in things that don't make sense. Napoleon was one of those movies where you knew it was going to be f***ing stupid just for that casting alone. It was one of those "tell me you don't understand what you're doing with out telling me you don't understand" and it was casting Joaquin as Napoleon.

Like mate, ffs Bill & Ted cast Napoleon better.
I wasn’t commenting on his acting as much as to say I’m just not a huge fan. The Joker was the only one of his I really liked. Do you have any recommendations?

Sometimes for these movies with huge budgets they need a big name attached to the lead actor in order to get the movie green lit. I suspect that’s what happened here.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wasn’t commenting on his acting as much as to say I’m just not a huge fan. The Joker was the only one of his I really liked. Do you have any recommendations?

Sometimes for these movies with huge budgets they need a big name attached to the lead actor in order to get the movie green lit. I suspect that’s what happened here.
I definitely do.

Walk The Line - He's incredible in this.
The Sister Brothers - It's more a dark comedy really but he's good in this.
We Own The Night - I liked him in this as well.
Gladiator - You're meant to despise him and boy does he do a good job.

A few other good ones - You were never really here, Two Lovers, Irrational Man...

He's good in some meh movies as well, like I thought he was good in these in that situation - Her, Reservation Road, Ladder 49...

Reactions: T1K

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I can't watch a movie or show with Pete Davidson. He's incredibly annoying and his face irritates me to look at.
Legitimate question, was he actually in the Barbie movie?

I know there are clips of him in the Ken song. Was that actually part of the movie or a gag after the fact?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Legitimate question, was he actually in the Barbie movie?

I know there are clips of him in the Ken song. Was that actually part of the movie or a gag after the fact?
He wasn't in Barbie, he just parodied it in an SNL sketch.

The movie is ok, like it's like Legally Blonde imo, a movie that comes off dopey but it hits the notes of the plight by women with equality and the patriarchy, etc. The biggest nonsense is this Oscar bs, the entitlement of thinking it deserves more praise is ridiculous.

Btw, Legally Blonde was a good and fun movie just like Barbie, also Oppenheimer being an award worthy movie for literally just taking a history text and slapping into the screen with A list actors is not impressive in the least.

The awards for this stuff is idiotic.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He wasn't in Barbie, he just parodied it in an SNL sketch.

The movie is ok, like it's like Legally Blonde imo, a movie that comes off dopey but it hits the notes of the plight by women with equality and the patriarchy, etc. The biggest nonsense is this Oscar bs, the entitlement of thinking it deserves more praise is ridiculous.

Btw, Legally Blonde was a good and fun movie just like Barbie, also Oppenheimer being an award worthy movie for literally just taking a history text and slapping into the screen with A list actors is not impressive in the least.

The awards for this stuff is idiotic.
That makes sense now. Too bad. :laugh:

I think its hard for something like Oppenheimer or Napoleon to be made into a movie. You need to focus on one thing, not the long story. Both tried to tell too much. Thought the casting for both was excellent though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That makes sense now. Too bad. :laugh:

I think its hard for something like Oppenheimer or Napoleon to be made into a movie. You need to focus on one thing, not the long story. Both tried to tell too much. Thought the casting for both was excellent though.
I think it's fine when it's a lore, but factual events just seems unnecessary and almost propaganda-ish feeling, you know what I mean?

Like I am all for seeing a movie based on a novel about a situation, serialized in some form like the Band of Brothers franchise (Band of Brothers, The Pacific, and Masters Of The Air). But I mean, if you saw Oppenheimer, it's basically just a retelling with big name actors and the weird sex scene made to depict how awful that questioning was.

Reactions: LOGiK

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think it's fine when it's a lore, but factual events just seems unnecessary and almost propaganda-ish feeling, you know what I mean?

Like I am all for seeing a movie based on a novel about a situation, serialized in some form like the Band of Brothers franchise (Band of Brothers, The Pacific, and Masters Of The Air). But I mean, if you saw Oppenheimer, it's basically just a retelling with big name actors and the weird sex scene made to depict how awful that questioning was.
I think you can portray factual events just fine, you just have to narrow it down to a event and not a long story. The attack on Pearl Harbor is a great example. Tora Tora Tora is an incredible movie, Ben Affleck's Pearl Harbor was a piece of trash. Hard to portray a 20-30 year story in a 120min movie.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think you can portray factual events just fine, you just have to narrow it down to a event and not a long story. The attack on Pearl Harbor is a great example. Tora Tora Tora is an incredible movie, Ben Affleck's Pearl Harbor was a piece of trash. Hard to portray a 20-30 year story in a 120min movie.
To be fair, most things by Michael Bay are trash, albeit some of it being highly entertaining trash as it was for that era with most action movies. He could do an autobiography and there'd be a random explosion with the orange/sun filter over every scene, even indoors.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Similar to crime-y films... been watching Fargo... honestly outside of season 1 the show is kind of meh. I don't get the praise.

Thank the support gods on that one... speeds already limit ram, no need for amd / intel / etc only ram. Which irks me. I read on the amd 7800x3d official page, 5200mhz ddr5 is what it officially supports.
THEN I see all over on review sites, 6000mhz is the sweet spot, can go up to 6666 if you lucky.
Hrmph.
AMD or Intel ram just means its been tested and fine tuned with those CPUs. AMD prefers lower latency and Intel prefers pure speed due to architecture. That might change with Intel going to chiplet design instead of monolithic.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
AMD or Intel ram just means its been tested and fine tuned with those CPUs. AMD prefers lower latency and Intel prefers pure speed due to architecture. That might change with Intel going to chiplet design instead of monolithic.
Yeah I heard timings are crucial to for amd. So I'm not upset with my 5200... hopefully i can get lower timing than higher mhz. :dunno:

Build is going slow. I have the cpu mem dimm m2 ssd (new to me) got the heat sink fans attached and they were a fraction to far for the bracket to rescrew in (of course) and the aio came with (most certain cheap) thermal paste I have to rub off because my new silver 5 comes today. Got psu in and called it a day... I had 1-2 hours of sleep yesterday so I wasnt optimal.

Today I'm up early. going to connect all the fans and cpu stuff and other headers or what not... it is my most daunting part of building. psu to mb and all the wires and wattages.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah I heard timings are crucial to for amd. So I'm not upset with my 5200... hopefully i can get lower timing than higher mhz. :dunno:

Build is going slow. I have the cpu mem dimm m2 ssd (new to me) got the heat sink fans attached and they were a fraction to far for the bracket to rescrew in (of course) and the aio came with (most certain cheap) thermal paste I have to rub off because my new silver 5 comes today. Got psu in and called it a day... I had 1-2 hours of sleep yesterday so I wasnt optimal.

Today I'm up early. going to connect all the fans and cpu stuff and other headers or what not... it is my most daunting part of building. psu to mb and all the wires and wattages.
Have fun with your cable management :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
To be fair, most things by Michael Bay are trash, albeit some of it being highly entertaining trash as it was for that era with most action movies. He could do an autobiography and there'd be a random explosion with the orange/sun filter over every scene, even indoors.
Everyone has their own schtick they stick too... he just got caught and found out due to enormously popular transformers. EVEN THOUGH, he turned them into insects basically in the first film.... they don't care as long as it makes $$$.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Have fun with your cable management :laugh:
That is the word for it! :eek3:o_O

It is so intimidating, why is it so intimidating! Motherboards have surely grew in weight since my hero vi board came out a decade ago.... this thing is a mammoth... a big white beautiful mammoth! I'll post pics later, won't be fancy til I get the led psu extensions / matching fans / 2 120mm side fans. just getting build is main concern =]

I gotta stop talking ill never get up there. after my coffee

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Ogrezilla finished fargo season 4 last night, and, CYE (curb) season 11.
Fargo was, hmmmm..... season 4 was frustrating and my least favorite of the series. Just wasn't much going on outside of killing and killing.

Larry had me laughing the final 2 or three episodes. Some were kind of meh. I miss the original run... with the seinfeld inside a cye season was brilliant.
He is like a vampire or something no? Larry David has been old, bald, blind (corrective), skinny to the point he's nearly identical to himself 40 years ago. WHO DOES THAT!?
It interests me honestly.... I find it unnatural. It's like halting change. Life is nothing if not constant motion.... forward... cycles...

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I will add it's better to watch the Dark Side episode of the Von Erich's after the movie. The movie does take a lot of liberties with the story. I mean to omit Chris because Durkin felt the deaths were repetitive and similar and it threw off the flow is idiotic. It happened. These deaths happen because of other situations, Kerry for example wanted to join his brothers and when you take out that other suicide, it minimizes his pain and hurt even more than what is shown. It's about the family and the "curse" Kevin believed was real because of the tragedies. The time lines are also off for how things happen. Some happen right after big events when in actuality they don't.

It's not to say it isn't a good movie. It is. But only if you aren't familiar with the real story and watched any of them wrestle on TV at some point. Also if you saw the Dark Side episode first it'll make you say ok but why did they leave so much shit out?

I feel like this would have been an amazing HBO Mini Series. 4 episodes 1hr long would cover this properly and do it more justice than the movie did.

I see blokes rated it highly (7.9/10) I would say it's 6/10 at best. Enjoyable but another movie that should have been a mini series or show.

The casting choices were fantastic. Efron I know had some facial injury but to have his face change that much is bizarre. It's hard not to wonder wtf really happened other than what's been reported.
I haven't seen this or the doc about it yet (plan to watch both) but these kinds of movies are tough. Doing a real story but leaving out important parts sucks, but making the real story work as a movie is also tough. But if you're going for perfect accuracy, at what point should you just be making a doc instead?

I have no answers to any of that btw. I think sometimes the best answer is just that some stories aren't meant to be movies. Or else they should focus on a smaller chunk of time that does make a better movie instead of sprawling over so much time that you have to make big cuts. But it seems like movies that present themselves as accurate but aren't can do pretty well financially but always have a sort of ceiling of how well people remember them.

And you can obviously get away with it being less realistic the less seriously you treat it, such as Cool Runnings, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or even 300. Those never present themselves seriously enough to be upsetting when you find out they aren't really accurate. Then you get to something like The Blindside which is legitimately insulting to the real person. And then the middle ground of something like Braveheart, which is a pretty good movie but also complete nonsense. It has to be one of the more generally well thought of movies like this right?

@Ogrezilla finished fargo season 4 last night, and, CYE (curb) season 11. Larry had me laughing the final 2 or three episodes. Some were kind of meh. I miss the original run... with the seinfeld inside a cye season was brilliant. He is like a vampire or something no? Larry David has been old, bald, blind (corrective), skinny to the point he's nearly identical to himself 40 years ago. WHO DOES THAT!?
It interests me honestly.... I find it unnatural. It's like halting change. Life is nothing if not constant motion.... forward... cycles...
How was season 4? I actually haven't watched 4.

I really need to watch CYE. I've seen some random bits and saw a handful of episodes back in freaking high school, but have never actually watched most of it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
How was season 4?

I really need to watch CYE. I've seen some random bits and saw a handful of episodes back in freaking high school, but have never actually watched most of it.
Wifey and myself did not like it (compared to other seasons)... it was watchable, but just mostly predictable.... and weird..... like a wizard of oz style episode and it was 50 minutes of nothing happening... that soured me. Ending was better than 3 though.

Curb.... it's.... it's..... you have to have the taste for larry david I suppose. When I was younger, heh... younger me would never watch an old cranky man complain.... well not true I loved grumpy old men... I'm typing what I'm thinking and it isn't working out, haha =P
More thoughtfully, LD (larry david) is not for everyone. It is hard to explain honestly, watch it, if it is for you (if you liked seinfeld more likely is a good gauge) ... that is it. If you like Seinfeld the show you will like larry. It is essentially seinfeld situations with the real george (larry).
I donno why but I never liked it in 2000, then 2010's come and I find it hilarious...

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Wifey and myself did not like it (compared to other seasons)... it was watchable, but just mostly predictable.... and weird..... like a wizard of oz style episode and it was 50 minutes of nothing happening... that soured me. Ending was better than 3 though.

Curb.... it's.... it's..... you have to have the taste for larry david I suppose. When I was younger, heh... younger me would never watch an old cranky man complain.... well not true I loved grumpy old men... I'm typing what I'm thinking and it isn't working out, haha =P
More thoughtfully, LD (larry david) is not for everyone. It is hard to explain honestly, watch it, if it is for you (if you liked seinfeld more likely is a good gauge) ... that is it. If you like Seinfeld the show you will like larry. It is essentially seinfeld situations with the real george (larry).
I donno why but I never liked it in 2000, then 2010's come and I find it hilarious...
I love Seinfeld and I have liked what I've seen of Curb, just never went back to it for whatever reason.

We're watching Righteous Gemstones right now and it is a very ridiculous show. I feel like it is about as polar opposite in comedy style to Larry David. Big and over the top. I love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad