OT: HFPens Community Lounge: A Pocket Full of Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Traffic was backed up this afternoon because of (you guessed it) another commercial vehicle getting stuck in the subway.

EDIT: Here is the scene...

168448613_3077598412460309_7203728840708829524_n.jpg

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Damn... I had intentions of putting most everyone on a mount for the master class.
Horse archer, horse mage, horse knight, etc etc.... now I donno.... threw me a curve ball

There's pluses and minuses to every class. To be fair, there's not really an unusable class or character-- they're all really well balanced, IMO. Mages just have the advantage IMO because of the way spells scale and that you don't need to worry about a weapon breaking with them.

Reactions: LOGiK and Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@HandshakeLine
@Ogrezilla

hmmmm very surprised to see manuela (hubba hubba) and the crest guy (forget his name... with the eye glass) hemmerman? both side up on my team... Igan *name?* also with the weird hair.... I have way too many units now BUT I also got 2 adjutants.

B level professor with silver weapons unlocked, which defeat Iron+ / Steel weapons for the most part.

Finally got Edelgard a wyvern on advanced but not so sure I want to keep her there. Yeah she can jump off, but no battalion is kinda.... ehhhh I donno if I want to roll with it that way. As a tank/armor she only gets 4 moves which makes her incredibly difficult to even get into position to be effective with surrounding units pulling down 5/6 move a turn.... not sure what to do with her... shes fine at warrior but it's maxed out and just trying to get her some alt experience where I will put her as a horse great knight or wyvern lord..... although both will give me the same problem of being ridden on horsey which removes battalion / adjutants....

HMmmmmmmmmmmmm
You eventually get flying battalions, and flying units can be adjutants with other flying units.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Also the horse archer, mage, and healer are great. And I still think the horse knights are better than unmounted armor guys. I've used one each time through so far.

Use what you like, it's all viable

Reactions: LOGiK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also the horse archer, mage, and healer are great. And I still think the horse knights are better than unmounted armor guys. I've used one each time through so far.

Use what you like, it's all viable

The unmounted armor guys can mess people up if you have a few mages with Warp or a Dancer nearby. I like to pop one of them behind enemy lines while my foot or mounted units charge them from the rear. :naughty:

Reactions: LOGiK and Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The unmounted armor guys can mess people up if you have a few mages with Warp or a Dancer nearby. I like to pop one of them behind enemy lines while my foot or mounted units charge them from the rear. :naughty:
I'm sure they aren't actually bad, I just hate how immobile they are. And my War Master has always been tanky enough to never die anyway, and they do like triple the damage.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Damn you people for making me want to get this game.
It is by far the most I've played a single player game on my Switch, or really at all for the last few years. Its not perfect by any stretch, but it just hits all of the things that will hook me with the tactics combat and custom team building AND the turn based combat and chapter based story make it so easy to pick up and put down whenever is convenient. And the different teams give you a reason to play it through 4 times without being exactly the same game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My expectations for Three Houses were pretty low, Nintendo really didn't make the game look interesting when they unveiled it...and it's probably my favorite single-player game on the Switch, too.

After the way Fates did the both sides angle while not even attempting to hide which side was angelic and good and which side was demonic and evil, I really didn't have faith in them adding more sides in and getting it to work, but they did. The whole 'lead a class' thing also seemed to be leaning into the relationship angle of the 3DS games, but was handled extremely well and involves precious little human petting.

I appreciate [name withheld for spoilers] not looking like [s/he] was drawn by a 13 year-old goth kid immediately spoiling the story to anyone who so much as glances at the box art.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My expectations for Three Houses were pretty low, Nintendo really didn't make the game look interesting when they unveiled it...and it's probably my favorite single-player game on the Switch, too.

After the way Fates did the both sides angle while not even attempting to hide which side was angelic and good and which side was demonic and evil, I really didn't have faith in them adding more sides in and getting it to work, but they did. The whole 'lead a class' thing also seemed to be leaning into the relationship angle of the 3DS games, but was handled extremely well and involves precious little human petting.

I appreciate [name withheld for spoilers] not looking like [s/he] was drawn by a 13 year-old goth kid immediately spoiling the story to anyone who so much as glances at the box art.
I'm just so glad they didn't include anything with having kids, or the unit grouping where you essentially just ended up spending the first turn of every battle to voltron your team so you had half the actual units on the map but they were all transformers.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Like clockwork, I had the mere thought of putting my heavy winter layers up and it's now slop snowing just shy of a blizzard :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My internet is such shit. Streaming shows is like trying to watch something on my High Def television but using a Low Def cable box.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Damn you people for making me want to get this game.

Can't believe you _didn't_ pick it up after all the talk =P

It is by far the most I've played a single player game on my Switch, or really at all for the last few years. Its not perfect by any stretch, but it just hits all of the things that will hook me with the tactics combat and custom team building AND the turn based combat and chapter based story make it so easy to pick up and put down whenever is convenient. And the different teams give you a reason to play it through 4 times without being exactly the same game.

I can't really speak to bigsy's comment because this is the first and only FE I played and haven't even did a play-through at that, so I dont know who the bad guy is yet... although I just did the Remire mission.... with the well.... you know who without naming names. Then the Flame King or whatever his name offers you to team up!!! I got so excited --- but then he wouldn't take me =((((((

Is it normal to have (i think...) 70 hours and just be finishing the first chapter? Im on ethereal moon or watever mo.12 is

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Can't believe you _didn't_ pick it up after all the talk =P

I can't really speak to bigsy's comment because this is the first and only FE I played and haven't even did a play-through at that, so I dont know who the bad guy is yet... although I just did the Remire mission.... with the well.... you know who without naming names. Then the Flame King or whatever his name offers you to team up!!! I got so excited --- but then he wouldn't take me =((((((

Is it normal to have (i think...) 70 hours and just be finishing the first chapter? Im on ethereal moon or watever mo.12 is
I honestly don't remember, but that does seem like its on the long side :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I honestly don't remember, but that does seem like its on the long side :laugh:

I really explore every time and boost reputation with my entire team.... fished once on 3x xp day for 2-3 hours (that was rough I wont lie)...

Leveled up most everyone doing grinding fights that cost no AP.... probably 20+ hours .... I'm so over leveled most major units have A or A+ ... even a few have S ranked primary weapon... and are almost lvl30 and I'm on first chapter... I really over leveled haha...

Oh well it's fun. Just so long as I dont over step my enjoyment of the game and waste time grinding to the point I lose interest in the game (but I wont... story and stuff is engaging)

THEN after I finish FETH I have ZELDA BOTW! wooooooo.... then I imagine I'd be curious to see the story from other houses. Plus I love the switch... I bveen a pc gamer primarily for so long having a console is so new to me... and it's portable!!! I'm in gaming heaven.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really explore every time and boost reputation with my entire team.... fished once on 3x xp day for 2-3 hours (that was rough I wont lie)...

Leveled up most everyone doing grinding fights that cost no AP.... probably 20+ hours .... I'm so over leveled most major units have A or A+ ... even a few have S ranked primary weapon... and are almost lvl30 and I'm on first chapter... I really over leveled haha...

Oh well it's fun. Just so long as I dont over step my enjoyment of the game and waste time grinding to the point I lose interest in the game (but I wont... story and stuff is engaging)

THEN after I finish FETH I have ZELDA BOTW! wooooooo.... then I imagine I'd be curious to see the story from other houses. Plus I love the switch... I bveen a pc gamer primarily for so long having a console is so new to me... and it's portable!!! I'm in gaming heaven.
I honestly had no idea there were battles that didn't cost AP.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait, there are battles in Three Houses that don't require teaching points? That's news to me as well. I always ended up dummy overleveled in all of my games even without those battles, so it's probably a good thing I didn't know about htose :laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I still did one or two days of the available battles so I was always around the right level.
Wait, there are battles in Three Houses that don't require teaching points? That's news to me as well. I always ended up dummy overleveled in all of my games even without those battles, so it's probably a good thing I didn't know about htose :laugh:

Yeah thats true. I'm super op with them so just doing the 1 / 2 or so battles is enough. Game is kinda on the simple side and divine pulse on top of that... I was expecting madman or whatever the highest difficulty was, but the game is story over difficulty on normal. I sure hope there isn't an easy difficulty if normal is like this. (but I have a ton of War Groove experience etc etc so I kinda new the combat basics - just had to learn the game specific mechanics and weapons and spells etc)..

Most are lvl 30's at the end of Act I
=O

It's right above the 1ap auxillary battles. Doesn't have any points. Kind of obvious, but I can understand missing it.

DEFO going to be ram through the missions as the other houses when I replay. No more super leveling =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad