HFOil Nostradamus Game '13 - '14 | WINNERS: Soli & Replacement

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
heh, you still got me to contend with. Glad I got my votes in yesterday and that I had a change in heart recently that the team was going to go in Ference direction. Before the injury I thought it was going to Sammy.

Also with the Gazdik recruitment Smac looks to be injured and now gone. Didn't think he was going to be here for much other than revenge on Nucks anyway so Lander by default and one callup probably gets me that one..:laugh:

Yak for 35 goals? Nah. Tell you what. Kid took a break during the summer. His shot is way off where it was even last year at this time. He'll get it back but he's not leaning into shots like last year yet. Something still a bit off. 35 is a hell of a lot of goals for any player let alone a second year guy.

When we signed Ference, I thought it would be between him and Hall. The Gagner noise surprised me.

I voted against Lander as he seems to be regressing. Our C is paper thin, and he still isn't considered. When Smyth was playing C last year and struggling, they still didn't want to use Lander. I still think Smac might get in a game before seasons end.

Didn't realize that with Yak. I voted against it because 35 is just so much. Very few players do that every year. Also, he seems to be starting the year on the 3rd line. I still think he sniffs at 30.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ference was a logical choice especially because he's EXACTLY the kind of player Eakins loves... fitness nut PLUS he's a great community guy and a vet with experience on a Cup winner and by all accounts an exceptionally good locker room guy.

Even considering all that though... I still figured they'd go with someone who's been with the Oilers a little longer or one of the younger "stars". Guess not. Should have went with the obvious I guess.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Since Brown was traded...

Brown - 9GP, 25 hits
Smid - 9GP, 26 hits

Wow, talk about slim margins. We can do things two ways:

1) Answer that question now. Brown is no longer an Oiler and we can cut it off at 9 GP as Oilers for both.

2) Let it ride till the end of the season and tally it up at the end.

I'm leaning one way, but I'll see what people think before I decide.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Brown - 9GP, 25 hits
Smid - 9GP, 26 hits

1) Answer that question now. Brown is no longer an Oiler and we can cut it off at 9 GP as Oilers for both.

Should be Smid. One of the reasons I would pick Smid is knowing he'd get more toi here and that he would be here. Its not at all a surprise to me that Brown is gone.

So Brown should be sunk and anybody voting for him didn't think it through. The title says "Oil Nostradamus game". It doesn't say SJ Sharks, when a player is gone they're gone. Out of the race. Thats part of the prognosticating.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Brown - 9GP, 25 hits
Smid - 9GP, 26 hits

Well of course the majority is going to say end it now, most of us have Smid:laugh:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Thought I'd give an update on how this game is going. If the season were to end now...

More Goals: Smyth vs Joensuu
More PP Goals: Perron vs. Eberle
More Points: Hemsky vs. J. Schultz
Over/Under: Yakupov Scores 35.5 Goals
Better Points/Game Rate: Hall vs. RNH
More Hits: Smid vs. Brown
More TOI+PIM: MacIntyre vs. Lander
True/False: Ference Named Captain

A quick glance at the predictions and it looks like Replacement would win this outright with 8/8 on his predictions.

Hall, Lander, and Yak's Under are likely locked up. Smyth leads Joensuu by 4 goals. Perron leads Eberle by 2 PP goals. Hemsky leads J.Schultz by 4 points.

The problem arises if any of these players (Smyth and Hemsky in particular) are traded. I guess we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thought I'd give an update on how this game is going. If the season were to end now...

More Goals: Smyth vs Joensuu
More PP Goals: Perron vs. Eberle
More Points: Hemsky vs. J. Schultz
Over/Under: Yakupov Scores 35.5 Goals
Better Points/Game Rate: Hall vs. RNH
More Hits: Smid vs. Brown
More TOI+PIM: MacIntyre vs. Lander
True/False: Ference Named Captain

A quick glance at the predictions and it looks like Replacement would win this outright with 8/8 on his predictions.

Hall, Lander, and Yak's Under are likely locked up. Smyth leads Joensuu by 4 goals. Perron leads Eberle by 2 PP goals. Hemsky leads J.Schultz by 4 points.

The problem arises if any of these players (Smyth and Hemsky in particular) are traded. I guess we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Replacement: Owns, OOOoooowwwwnnnnzzzzz...:D

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Yep I got all stupidly optimistic at the last minute and moved up my prediction from 11th to 10th. Too much preseason hope and optimism... clouded by MacT's bold fantasies.

I did the same (ie. last second change from 11th to 10th). Not next year though. Unless something completely unexpected happens this summer I'm calling it now... 14th.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I forgot about this...

Anyways, the season is over, all the questions are answered, now it's just time to tabulate the results.

I was pre-mature in anointing Replacement the winner after our mid-season check. Out of curiosity I tabulated his score and he finished with 9 points. Yours truly came out with 9 as well. Since we both thought we'd come in 4th in the division and 8th in the conference, we don't break oue tie...

CONGRATS SOLI & REPLACEMENT FOR PROVING THAT YOU'RE SMARTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE!

Runner up goes to OilDrop37 and bozwell for 8 points.

If there's enough interest in doing a Offseason Nostradamus game, I'll set it up post haste.

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
For the Hemsky vs Schultz question why is Schultz the right answer?

Hemsky finished with 43 points and Schultz finished with 33. Or was it just points as an Oiler?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Hemsky finished with 43 points and Schultz finished with 33. Or was it just points as an Oiler?

Just as an Oiler.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Because Soli needed that one to tie me and otherwise I'd be 100%:naughty:

Nah, just kidding. It makes sense for it to be Oilers only pts and I even argued that earlier in the thread.:laugh:

lol at Soli and my playoff prediction. I'll hold off on thinking I'm any kind of genius here..:amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad