HFCanucks Mock Draft Updated [Completed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Well, since you followed my pick, I've been acutely aware who was taken just after. My impression is that you got good value at every position. I considered Honka and Pastrnak at #21, and I _really_ considered Irving at #82. Bill Placzek had him at #22 overall in his March mock here: http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/

When watching the Oil Kings (infrequently), I noticed that he was solid and willing to drop the gloves. Decent first pass. Foot speed though, was a question mark for me. Both speed and agility. Still, for his first full season in the WHL, he did quite well.

I was hoping that Michael Bunting could fall to #83. But he didn't and Irving was next for me. He reminds me somewhat of Ryan Stanton.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I was hoping that Michael Bunting could fall to #83. But he didn't and Irving was next for me. He reminds me somewhat of Ryan Stanton.

Yeah, I can see that. What do you think about Irving's speed and talent? Do you think he can be a PP option as he moves up? Get to Stanton's level of agility? Consistency also a concern. I like that he has a lot of tools, and that right shot is nice. Good pick up overall.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
With 5 top 90 picks, Calgary can gain quality players really early. I'm wondering if there is incentive for Calgary to bundle the picks to move up or keep the 5 picks?

Ventana*

Nikolay Goldobin - High skilled Russian RW that is shifty and can shoot the puck, will put up a lot of points. Needs to work on defensive game, but will most likely succeed as a scoring top 6 forward at the NHL level.

Nhl Comparable - Alexei Kovalev

Anton Karlsson - Swedish bull of a forward with soft hands, great checking ability and a high IQ, can pass the puck well and looks to project as a solid 3rd liner, possible 2nd liner in the NHL, depending on how he develops his offensive game.

Nhl Comparable: Alex Burrows

Alex Nedeljkovic - Smaller goalie but has excellent positioning, quickness, and athletic ability. Proven to be clutch in pressure situations.

Nhl Comparable: Jhonas Enroth

Chase De Leo - A player on the smaller end at 5'10, but very quick and skilled with the puck. Plays solid defensive hockey when needed, and has a strong IQ.

Nhl Comparable: Tyler Ennis

Ryan Collins: Huge, 6'5, 200 pound shut down d-man who plays a simple but effective and calm game with a long reach, is a beast in front of the net and along the corners, can play physical and throw a hit without getting out of position, and can take a hit to make a play.

NHL Comparable:

Willie Mitchell

Shane Eiserman - Big Power Forward type player, skilled but plays with grit and tenacity, decent IQ. He is no slouch in his skating ability, and makes defender's jobs tough, often beating them wide. Project but could become a great player if he becomes more consistent and learns how to adapt to the NHL game.

NHL Comparable: Jordan Staal

arsmaster*

I scanned the list 5 times, couldn't see him drafted so I'm taking a good value pick for the Blues.

St Louis selects, from the Charlottetown Islanders of the QMJHL, Goalie, Mason Macdonald.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I scanned the list 5 times, couldn't see him drafted so I'm taking a good value pick for the Blues.

St Louis selects, from the Charlottetown Islanders of the QMJHL, Goalie, Mason Macdonald.

:handclap:

Finally, someone takes a goalie. I was wondering if we would get to the end without one selected.

arsmaster*

Finally, someone takes a goalie. I was wondering if we would get to the end without one selected.

Was that who you had behind Perron?

I'm not big on drafting goalies, but this kid looks like the real deal from what I've seen. Quality goaltending prospect.

I also see this as a move the Blues would make, so it works.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Was that who you had behind Perron?

I'm not big on drafting goalies, but this kid looks like the real deal from what I've seen. Quality goaltending prospect.

I also see this as a move the Blues would make, so it works.

No, that's not who I had just behind Perron. Gah, I want to switch my pick right now because I was going back and forth between this player and Perron. (BGav, it's not who you are thinking of either).

Yeah, I don't draft goalies. He looks like a good bet, but I just don't do it... They are 'voodoo' to me.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007

You mean for the third round?

Demko and Nedeljkovic were already selected.

Edit: just read your post above. McDonald is a good pick.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
:ducks time has elapsed. They have been auto'd Richard Nejezchleb.

I have PM'd BerStUzzi.

Thanks feebs. Time for this mock to close down. I would like to start discussing the picks more in depth. Specifically, insights of people doing research for their players. Should be good.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
The Boston Bruins take from the Plymouth Whalers, Alex Peters, 6'4 200 lbs D man

As per Mr.Otten
At 6'4, 200lbs, and with good mobility, he's very difficult to get around off the rush. He keeps attacking forwards in front of him and picks his spots well when using a stick or body check.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Boston Bruins take from the Plymouth Whalers, Alex Peters, 6'4 200 lbs D man

As per Mr.Otten

Peters' skating is said to be very good in general. The big question mark is the offense. Interesting to note though, that he did face heavy QoC per the tracked OHL advanced stats. That might explain some of the lack of offense.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Pretty happy with my draft for the Buffalo Sabres

2. Leon Draisaitl - He was my target but I was unable to move down into a range I felt comfortable being able to nab him and pick up an additional asset.

31. Connor Bleackley - Happy with where I got him, fairly safe, value pick IMO.

39. Hunter Smith - love the size and combativeness to go along with a developing offensive game. Could be a solid power 3rd line forward with some limited offensive upside.

50. Warren Foegele - my dark horse pick...haven't seen a lot but what i did see i liked, and read some intriguing reports. Sounds like there is some real upside here, hoping it pans out.

61. Luc Snuggerud - looking for a solid offensive PMD, despite the slight frame I think Snuggerud could develop into a good one if he can fill out.

Missed out on a couple guys hoping they'd fall a little more, but I held out too long...especially on a goalie (Alex Nedeljkovic) but overall I'm pleased.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Peters' skating is said to be very good in general. The big question mark is the offense. Interesting to note though, that he did face heavy QoC per the tracked OHL advanced stats. That might explain some of the lack of offense.

He screamed a Bruin to me in the mold of a McQuaid. Brock believes there could be a lot more to his offensive game.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah, can't go wrong with those picks Canucker. I especially like the Bleackley pick up.

-----------------

So the player I was really considering along with Perron was Julien Nantel. I've read stuff via google translate that suggest his 2way acumen is just at another level. Like he could make it based on this alone and figure his offense out later. Here's a blurb:

Nantel is a solid skating two-way forward who will use his frame to protect the puck, has a scorers shot with quick release and knows where to go in the offensive zone to get that scoring chance. Consistency in his efforts needs to be improved. (November 2013)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=151707

Now, the other interesting thing with him is that this is his first full season in the QMJHL. Very late Sept 6th birthdate. So it could be that he developed just tad late and his lower PPG is not fully indicative of his offensive skillset. There are questions about it, but maybe he just needs a bit more time. (34 points in 68 games)

He has played centre and wing, despite being listed as a LWer. JN plays 200 feet, good frame, excellent in the corners... a lot to like.

Here's a blurb from his coach (google translate):

Julien Nantel, a horse

When asked Gilles Bouchard talk performance Julien Nantel past few weeks, it is imaged. "He ate the horse in the holiday season. He increased his game up a notch. He skates, he physically involved and it is difficult to remove the washer. He gained confidence. "

"He told me that for some time that I play like a horse, revealed Julien Nantel, smiling. My confidence has increased and I feel more in control. "

With the new acquisitions of the pack, the role of the 6-foot and 193 pounds has changed. "I knew it would happen. By cons, it will allow me to become a more complete player. Early in the season, I played on the powerplay and here I should change shorthanded. "

http://translate.google.ca/translat...la:en-US:official&channel=sb&biw=1366&bih=634

Coach also gets on Perron a bit for his consistency and lack of physical involvement. So he doesn't sugarcoat things too much.

----------------------------------

Edit: More on him, from Sam Cosentino (Sportsnet):

8. Julien Nantel, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies

Position: Centre/left wing
Shoots: Left
Birthdate: Sept. 6/96
Height/weight: 6’0”, 196 lbs

Plays a pro-style game, better suited to centre for defensive reasons. Tough to play against. Skating stands out.

Really packed on the weight this year and is a plus level skater.

--------------------------------

Edit 2: Just going to keep adding:

Julien Nantel, C – Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (QMJHL)
Though he didn’t make the team, Nantel reportedly impressed Canada’s Ivan Hlinka tournament coaches over the summer and scouts love his high energy, straight-ahead game. He’s a good skater who can kill penalties and on a deep Huskies team, he has four points in his past five games. Draft eligible in 2014.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/t...ofsson-helping-colorado-through-tough-season/

----------------------

Edit 3:

Displays plenty of the attributes that NHL wings must have. Has a good strong skating stride, size, and strength. Excellent on the wall and corners. Wins puck battles and is good on the cycle. uses his strength and strong skating to fight for possession in all zones. Has yet to find a constitent offensive game.

--Bill Placzek --

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/julien-nantel/21094/

-----------------------------

Edit 4:

9. Julien Nantel, winger, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies: Not many scouts saw him play much last season because he stayed in midget AAA for one more year of seasoning. But despite that he was invited to Canada’s under-18 camp and wasn’t the least bit overwhelmed.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1159847-palov-barbashev-heads-this-year-s-draft-class

Nantel is an explosive skater with a strong stride. Unleashing his accurate shot with a quick release, he knows how to get into the high percentage areas to get that shot off. If he can add some consistency to his offensive game, he will only become more of a threat.

However, Nantel fits the mold of a solid, two way forward. He’s got good size and is physically strong. Fighting for the puck in the corner, using his frame to protect it, he is more than capable. A hard worker, Nantel is solid in both ends of the ice.
- See more at: http://www.propuckprospects.com/2014/04/julien-nantel.html#sthash.lkqyIKIO.dpuf

http://www.propuckprospects.com/2014/04/julien-nantel.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad