HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Someone’s got a bias.

But sure, the guy picked 6th overall and was at the time seen as the 3rd/4th best prospect in his draft definitely isn’t elite...

But let me guess, Sandin is definitely Elite?

Bolded the key words.

Yakupov and JP were also seen as some of the top guys in their drafts.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Dube should have been a top 50 prospect. Guy is better than a lot of guys on this list.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think he’s got a chance to be better than Tkachuk and Monahan

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Dube should have been a top 50 prospect. Guy is better than a lot of guys on this list.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think he’s got a chance to be better than Tkachuk and Monahan

While DUbe is a good prospect I don't think he'll surpass those players.
Tkachuk and Dube are only 8 months appart and Tkachuk has 3 seasons under his belt and a PPG season last season. I wouldn't bet on Dube being better than Tkachuk.

Good luck being better than Monahan too.

Reactions: pblawr

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I thought it was implied but no one gives a flying **** about original draft positions except for Detroit fans.

One year after their draft when Zadina had a very good season? Why exactly would his position change dramatically?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
One year after their draft when Zadina had a very good season? Why exactly would his position change dramatically?

Can you define very good? He ranks ~35th among all 18/19 year olds in the AHL, even lower in PPG (players over 35 games)

The only two notable forwards he finished ahead of is Forsberg (although Forsberg had a higher ppg) and Tatar...aside from that, he's not in great company.

What are your expectations of Zadina next season?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Can you define very good? He ranks ~35th among all 18/19 year olds in the AHL, even lower in PPG (players over 35 games)

The only two notable forwards he finished ahead of is Forsberg (although Forsberg had a higher ppg) and Tatar...aside from that, he's not in great company.

What are your expectations of Zadina next season?

And if Zadina has gone to Junior and easily put up 100pts on a contending Halifax he’d be viewed as a cant miss blue chip prospect. Instead he challenged himself and did a great job in the AHL for his age. This place puts WAY too much emphasis on huge points in the CHL.

To answer your question, I’d expect him to be a ~60pt pt player in the AHL, ideally 30 goals, all paces of course, as he likely gets a few games in the NHL as well.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
lol this list was horrible. Suzuki at 34 ended up better than almost all the guys ahead of him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It's been one season, and most of the guys haven't even played. Take off your homer goggles, good grief.
Funny cause suzuki had a better season in the nhl than almost all those above in their non-NHL leagues.

Homer glasses or not Suzuki is now worth more than all those prospects except the obvious ones.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
As I've been saying throughout the polls, Seider way too high. He was a reach at the draft, and being a reach doesn't raise your stock as a prospect. If it did, Hayton (who was ranked and drafted higher than Seider) would be much more regarded. If he was ranked as a consensus behind guys like Boldy, Krebs, Broberg, and even Newhook in many draft rankings, how is he a better prospect than them?

I'm not saying he's not a good prospect, but I do not see the logic behind him being above those guys.

Well...

... This isn't aging well.

Reactions: r0bert8841

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Whose value has gone up and whose has gone down over the last year?

J,Hughes ↓
Kakko ↓
Makar ↑
Byram
Q. Hughes ↑

Turcotte ↓
Kravtsov ↓
Kaprizov ↑
Dach ↑
Glass ↓

Brannstrom ↓
Zadina
Zegras ↑
Necas
Dobson

Boqvist
Bouchard
Podkolzin ↓
Smith
Cozens ↑

Batherson
Frost ↓
Caufield
Hayton
Seider ↑

Sandin
Miller ↓
Denisenko
Hronek
Boldy

Steel
Valimaki ↑
Farabee ↓
Suzuki ↑
Krebs

Heponiemi ↓
Poehling ↓
Veleno
Fox ↑
Broberg

Comtois
Texier ↑
Wahlstrom ↓
Kyrou ↓
Fabbro

Jokiharju
Tolvanen
J. Robertson
Myers ↑
Newhook ↑

Something like that. A lot of players I don't know which way they've gone.

Reactions: deflowd

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

J,Hughes ↓
Kakko ↓
Makar ↑
Byram
Q. Hughes ↑

Turcotte ↓
Kravtsov ↓
Kaprizov ↑
Dach ↑
Glass ↓

Brannstrom ↓
Zadina
Zegras ↑
Necas
Dobson

Boqvist
Bouchard
Podkolzin ↓
Smith
Cozens ↑

Batherson
Frost ↓
Caufield
Hayton
Seider ↑

Sandin
Miller ↓
Denisenko
Hronek
Boldy

Steel
Valimaki ↑
Farabee ↓
Suzuki ↑
Krebs

Heponiemi ↓
Poehling ↓
Veleno
Fox ↑
Broberg

Comtois
Texier ↑
Wahlstrom ↓
Kyrou ↓
Fabbro

Jokiharju
Tolvanen
J. Robertson
Myers ↑
Newhook ↑

What has Dach done for his stock to go up while Hughes and Kakko's stock have went down? This site has an infatuation with Dach that isn't based in how he plays on the ice. It's bemusing. I'm not saying Hughes or Kakko were good in the NHL, but neither was Dach. I'm not sure what Turcotte has done either for his stock to drop, especially when you aren't dropping the stock of a player like Byram for a pretty similar season.

As I've constantly said, it's way too early for any changes in assessments of the top 2019 players. If you are making those changes, you either haven't seen those players play very much and are going on a limited sample or you are just looking for hot-takes.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What has Dach done for his stock to go up while Hughes and Kakko's stock have went down? This site has an infatuation with Dach that isn't based in how he plays on the ice. It's bemusing. I'm not saying Hughes or Kakko were good in the NHL, but neither was Dach. I'm not sure what Turcotte has done either for his stock to drop, especially when you aren't dropping the stock of a player like Byram for a pretty similar season.

As I've constantly said, it's way too early for any changes in assessments of the top 2019 players. If you are making those changes, you either haven't seen those players play very much and are going on a limited sample or you are just looking for hot-takes.

Dach was one of the best Hawks forwards in the playoffs, actually "good in the NHL".

My arrows here aren't meant to opine on who is better among Dach, Hughes, Kakko, only that their stock has gone up and down compared to their 2019 rating. Dach is 9th on this list, he's higher today. Jack Hughes and Kakko undoubtedly disappointed people, they actually were expected to be "good in the NHL" right away. I would certainly rather have Makar or Quinn Hughes, but that is not the point of the list, this is just 2020 stock vs 2019 stock.

Byram I don't know about. I'm a bit skeptical on him but haven't seen enough and there are a lot of diverging views on him, so I left it blank. Turcotte was fine but he's in a pack with Newhook and Zegras and a lot of folks expected a little more.

"Way too early"? You know this "change of assessments" is just another momentary snapshot among millions of others and not intended to be a final valuation of the players? Kind of like the 2019 "assessments" in the first place?

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dach was one of the best Hawks forwards in the playoffs, actually "good in the NHL".

My arrows here aren't meant to opine on who is better among Dach, Hughes, Kakko, only that their stock has gone up and down compared to their 2019 rating. Dach is 9th on this list, he's higher today. Jack Hughes and Kakko undoubtedly disappointed people, they actually were expected to be "good in the NHL" right away. I would certainly rather have Makar or Quinn Hughes, but that is not the point of the list, this is just 2020 stock vs 2019 stock.

Byram I don't know about. I'm a bit skeptical on him but haven't seen enough and there are a lot of diverging views on him, so I left it blank. Turcotte was fine but he's in a pack with Newhook and Zegras and a lot of folks expected a little more.

"Way too early"? You know this "change of assessments" is just another momentary snapshot among millions of others and not intended to be a final valuation of the players? Kind of like the 2019 "assessments" in the first place?

I think you have unintentionally highlighted the problem. We have a substantial body of work on these prospects to formulate the draft order. We have to be considering everything going forward. It’s simply not sufficient to say you saw someone play a good game or playoffs or tournament or the opposite with another player. We didn’t even see a full post draft season from the 2019 draft class. It’s too early to be suggesting changes because the changes people want to make are arbitrary. You might say something is good, and I might think it’s bad. We need something more concrete from these 2019 draftees. You are ranking more on your own personal whims, and I think we just don’t know enough about these players since we had the last benchmark, the draft. They haven’t even played a full season since being drafted.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think you have unintentionally highlighted the problem. We have a substantial body of work on these prospects to formulate the draft order. We have to be considering everything going forward. It’s simply not sufficient to say you saw someone play a good game or playoffs or tournament or the opposite with another player. We didn’t even see a full post draft season from the 2019 draft class. It’s too early to be suggesting changes because the changes people want to make are arbitrary. You might say something is good, and I might think it’s bad. We need something more concrete from these 2019 draftees. You are ranking more on your own personal whims, and I think we just don’t know enough about these players since we had the last benchmark, the draft. They haven’t even played a full season since being drafted.

Eh, it's always a crapshoot. And things change constantly. You do a 2020 draft right now and Anton Lundell is off the board before pick #12. You do the draft back in June and Yegor Chinakhov wouldn't go in the first round.

I don't know what you mean by "arbitrary" vs "concrete" here. The only concrete results we get is many years down the road.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

J,Hughes ↓
Kakko ↓
Makar ↑
Byram
Q. Hughes ↑

Turcotte ↓
Kravtsov ↓
Kaprizov ↑
Dach ↑
Glass ↓

Brannstrom ↓
Zadina
Zegras ↑
Necas
Dobson

Boqvist
Bouchard
Podkolzin ↓
Smith
Cozens ↑

Batherson
Frost ↓
Caufield
Hayton
Seider ↑

Sandin
Miller ↓
Denisenko
Hronek
Boldy

Steel
Valimaki ↑
Farabee ↓
Suzuki ↑
Krebs

Heponiemi
Poehling ↓
Veleno
Fox ↑
Broberg

Comtois
Texier ↑
Wahlstrom ↓
Kyrou ↓
Fabbro

Jokiharju
Tolvanen
J. Robertson
Myers ↑
Newhook ↑

Completely forgot about Heponiemi. Is he the biggest faller?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad