HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
As I've been saying throughout the polls, Seider way too high. He was a reach at the draft, and being a reach doesn't raise your stock as a prospect. If it did, Hayton (who was ranked and drafted higher than Seider) would be much more regarded. If he was ranked as a consensus behind guys like Boldy, Krebs, Broberg, and even Newhook in many draft rankings, how is he a better prospect than them?

I'm not saying he's not a good prospect, but I do not see the logic behind him being above those guys.

Pre-draft I had Seider at 7 and Hayton at 30. Glad to see the birds are getting close to seeing things my way.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Top 5 in this ranking by nationality (tell me if I missed anyone or made any mistakes)...

United States: J. Hughes, Q. Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield.
Finland: Kakko, Välimäki, Heponiemi, Jokiharju, Tolvanen.
Canada: Makar, Byram, Dach, Glass, Dobson.
Russia: Kravtsov, Kaprizov, Podkolzin, Denisenko.
Sweden: Brännström, A. Boqvist, Sandin, Broberg.
Czech Republic: Zadina, Necas, Hronek.

(Germany: Seider, France: Texier)

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Habs got some homer votes

For a large portion of the pool, the Habs players were having their votes split almost even between Poehling/Caufield/Suzuki.

It sort of nullifies any homer vote bias (which check any poll, exists with every team).

Poehling who was picked 3rd out of habs prospects on this list was #1 on our board, and pulled a lot of homer votes (people who will only vote for their teams prospects) away from Caufield/Suzuki.

I think this list is pretty good, but I think a few players are too low/high by around 10-15 spots.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Someone’s got a bias.

But sure, the guy picked 6th overall and was at the time seen as the 3rd/4th best prospect in his draft definitely isn’t elite...

But let me guess, Sandin is definitely Elite?

I just don't think any of those guys are difference makers at all and are overrated because they belong to a fanbase with virtually no future so they're clinging on to whatever okay prospects they have.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
IMO
Wahlstrom way too low
Jokiharju a little too low
Seider a little too high
Poehling doesn't belong
Hague should be there

But hey, my opinion vs the opinion of the majority...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Broberg, Seider, York, and Soderstrom were close int he pre-draft rankings..... two made the top 50, two didnt

If Seider doesnt go so high, I guarantee you he probably doesnt make the top 50

Poehling was also the WJC MVP, dont forget. He definitely got homer votes, but I think hes top 50 regardless.

Yep, certainly a great prospect. I was simply asking if recent events have influence.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I just don't think any of those guys are difference makers at all and are overrated because they belong to a fanbase with virtually no future so they're clinging on to whatever okay prospects they have.

Well it's either that or draft superstars with lottery picks and still fail to make it out of the first round year in and year out.

But I don't want to make this about unnecessarily ripping a team, since that obviously wasn't your goal...

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
As I've been saying throughout the polls, Seider way too high. He was a reach at the draft, and being a reach doesn't raise your stock as a prospect. If it did, Hayton (who was ranked and drafted higher than Seider) would be much more regarded. If he was ranked as a consensus behind guys like Boldy, Krebs, Broberg, and even Newhook in many draft rankings, how is he a better prospect than them?

I'm not saying he's not a good prospect, but I do not see the logic behind him being above those guys.
I believe the reason was that, at least from what i observed, most of the comments were from Red wing fans. So its safe to assume they were heavily invested in that voting.
I personally didn't pay too much attention to that voting, voting only once or twice, and didn't see too many Habs fan on there.

Either way he might not be a top 25 prospect but he certainly is a top 50 prospect imo.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I believe the reason was that, at least from what i observed, most of the comments were from Red wing fans. So its safe to assume they were heavily invested in that voting.
I personally didn't pay too much attention to that voting, voting only once or twice, and didn't see too many Habs fan on there.

Either way he might not be a top 25 prospect but he certainly is a top 50 prospect imo.
Most of the Seider talk occurred after he was voted in. I think when the poll was closing soon he all of the sudden got a huge jump in votes. Probably people that just didn’t want Sandin to win.
I personally think Seider and Broberg are neck and neck. Whether they should be ranked 25, 40 or somewhere between.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Little did we know that a the 6th overall pick (who was rated as high as 3rd) in 2018 isn’t a difference maker, but the 29th overall is!

The more we know!

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Most of the Seider talk occurred after he was voted in. I think when the poll was closing soon he all of the sudden got a huge jump in votes. Probably people that just didn’t want Sandin to win.
I personally think Seider and Broberg are neck and neck. Whether they should be ranked 25, 40 or somewhere between.
I personally am higher on Seider than on Sandin

Reactions: tealhockey

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

Seider played at the WC prior to a few pre-draft rankings, played very well vs NHLers (especially USA in the pre-tournament game) and scored two goals before getting hurt in a game vs Slovakia. One of the only three players who were draft eligible to play in the tournament among first round picks, the other two being Kakko and Hughes. It definitely rose his stock among a lot of scouts, it was only a month after turning 18.

Boldy, Krebs, Broberg etc didn't play in the tournament, and thus their draft stock stayed the same and Seider's rose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
This is a very good consensus ranking. I really don't think the calls for homer votes are warranted, there is not a player on this list who doesn't belong IMO.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Top 5 in this ranking by nationality (tell me if I missed anyone or made any mistakes)...

United States: J. Hughes, Q. Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield.
Finland: Kakko, Välimäki, Heponiemi, Jokiharju, Tolvanen.
Canada: Makar, Byram, Dach, Glass, Dobson.
Russia: Kravtsov, Kaprizov, Podkolzin, Denisenko.
Sweden: Brännström, A. Boqvist, Sandin, Broberg.
Czech Republic: Zadina, Necas, Hronek.

(Germany: Seider, France: Texier)

Bouchard for Canada.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

I get what you're throwing down but Hayton has impressed me a ton since being drafted, I feel he justified his high pick.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
IMO
Wahlstrom way too low
Jokiharju a little too low
Seider a little too high
Poehling doesn't belong
Hague should be there

But hey, my opinion vs the opinion of the majority...

I disagree on Wahlstrom, felt he went too high.
Jokiharu seemed about right to me
I agree on Seider
Disagree on Poehling
I'm meh on Hague. Last year I wouldn't have had him on my list, next year he's probably going to be higher at this rate.

Everyone has dif opinions for sure.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Cool, thanks for running this. I disagree obviously with some placements but overall an interesting and insightful exercise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad