HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Hfb polls never get good results due to team bias. Large markets have more fans who vote for their own prospects inflated value vs fewer smaller markets who's fans are rarely voting by comparison. Fans are fans...

canuckinfuts

May 27, 2019
Vancouver
Hfb polls never get good results due to team bias. Large markets have more fans who vote for their own prospects inflated value vs fewer smaller markets who's fans are rarely voting by comparison. Fans are fans...
Somewhat true but this poll has a wide variety of players from different teams with only a few "homer votes" that are noticeable. Are you saying there should be more Canes prospects in the top 50?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Slava Voynov?

Yes.

scooby-doo-unmasking-gif-4.gif

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Somewhat true but this poll has a wide variety of players from different teams with only a few "homer votes" that are noticeable. Are you saying there should be more Canes prospects in the top 50?
No, not at all. Just saying fan voting is not unbiased. Fans on hfb always tend to inflate the value of their own players over another team's. It's more obvious on the trade board. It's a natural thing to do, because of familiarity, for one thing. Larger markets also get more national air time and their players become better known. That and with bigger markets casting more votes for what is more familiar to them, it can't be helped. I'm only weighing in for all the people on here saying their guy was left out or too low, or someone else is too high. It doesn't really matter. It's just a fun list.

Reactions: canuckinfuts

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
As I've been saying throughout the polls, Seider way too high. He was a reach at the draft, and being a reach doesn't raise your stock as a prospect. If it did, Hayton (who was ranked and drafted higher than Seider) would be much more regarded. If he was ranked as a consensus behind guys like Boldy, Krebs, Broberg, and even Newhook in many draft rankings, how is he a better prospect than them?

I'm not saying he's not a good prospect, but I do not see the logic behind him being above those guys.

Steve Yzerman's first round picks haven't been so awesome either.
I watched Seider a lot at rookie development camp. I think he's got potential to be a second pairing guy. But I don't think it's a lock. And I definitely don't see him running a PP unit.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hmm, did you mean to say "they're hoping Sandin might become what Wings fans hope Hronek will become", because what you said was "they hope Sandin will become Hronek is already proving he is". You see, there is a difference, and suggesting that Sandin tops out what you think Hronek has already proven is ridiculous.

Hronek has potential. But to be a puck moving D, you have to do it while not giving up tons of goals. Hronek was one of the worst on the Wings in terms of goals against. Hronek is another guy I see maxing out as a second pairing RD.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
From the sound of it, if Detroit hadn't drafted Seider in the top 10, somebody else was going to.

.5 PPG in the NHL as a 20/21 year old while looking defensively sound. Yeah, Hronek has no hope of ever being a solid PMD.
Don't forget 3-8-11 +3 in 10 games at the World Championship Tournament.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Someone’s got a bias.

But sure, the guy picked 6th overall and was at the time seen as the 3rd/4th best prospect in his draft definitely isn’t elite...

But let me guess, Sandin is definitely Elite?

Where do you guys come up with these things.

Most rankings had seidler going significantly later, not earlier. He was seen as someone that would go in the 15 to 20 range for tge most part.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Most rankings had seidler going significantly later, not earlier. He was seen as someone that would go in the 15 to 20 range for tge most part.

You’re right.

Good thing I was talking about Zadina then.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
A few people mentioned Farabee and surprised he was as high as he was. Here is a little info. With him, you have to look a little deeper on his season.

He had a good 36 points in 37 games as a rookie...3rd for all rookies. That placed him 40th in overall scoring.

But now look at him POST the WJC where he played very well. He had 25 points in 21 games. That was good for 7th in NCAA scoring. He also led the NCAA in SH goals and also game winning goals during that time period, .

Now look at his own splits: 7 pts in his 1st 13 games....29 points in his last 24 games.

You can clearly see that there was an adjustment period when starting the year, then by December started finding his game. Now obviously I have no idea if anyone who voted knows any of this, but it gives some deeper info to his season.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
This is great.

The only thing I suggest:

Break this poll next time by position. It is very hard to compare Forwards to Defensemen in general, but even harder when we are talking about prospects who have little/no NHL experience.

I would suggest 3 polls, something like this:
Top 50 Forwards
Top 25 Defensemen
Top 15 Goalies

Is that possible to do?

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Little did we know that a the 6th overall pick (who was rated as high as 3rd) in 2018 isn’t a difference maker, but the 29th overall is!

The more we know!

Draft position only matters during draft weekend. It is possible that a player selected later in the draft could develop into a better player or show more potential within the first year post draft.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Draft position only matters during draft weekend. It is possible that a player selected later in the draft could develop into a better player or show more potential within the first year post draft.

Sure, but I'll take multiple years of one player being much better than another over just one year any day.

Plus this is ignoring that Zadina had far from a bad season, where there is nothing to suggest he doesn't have elite potential.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As I've been saying throughout the polls, Seider way too high. He was a reach at the draft, and being a reach doesn't raise your stock as a prospect. If it did, Hayton (who was ranked and drafted higher than Seider) would be much more regarded. If he was ranked as a consensus behind guys like Boldy, Krebs, Broberg, and even Newhook in many draft rankings, how is he a better prospect than them?

I'm not saying he's not a good prospect, but I do not see the logic behind him being above those guys.

Just because you consider Seider a reach doesn't mean he was one.

Personally I had him in my Top 10, and the only guy who went behind him that I believe definitely shouldn't have was Caufield.

As for the list itself.... It is hard to take HF Rankings like this seriously because it is so easy for a fanbase to manipulate rankings, we've seen it plenty in past lists like this and I believe we saw it a few times on this particular list.

Plus you just get so many people voting who aren't really informed on prospects besides there own(Probably 95% of voters honestly, myself included to some extent admittedly).

For me at least regarding Avs players, I'm not convinced Newhook should be on this list yet. I think he's a raw prospect who maybe has a lot of upside to his game but has a long ways to go before reaching that upside and a lot of work to be done to get to that level. I actually have him 5th on the Avs rankings behind both Timmins and Kaut. I think Timmins is not only a Top 50 prospect in the league but a Top 15 D prospect and really should be on this list and a fair bit higher. Though I get that the injury will scare people away from voting for him(Or quite frankly for some I'm sure they even forget who he is at this point), but I'm confident he comes back 100% healthy this year and will pick up right where he left off as one of the very best young Dmen around. People have definitely forgotten just how dominant of a tournament he had at the World Juniors 2 years ago.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Because youre talking about draft rankings that are done on the internet by people who likely dont see all of these guys play a tonne. I mentioned it post draft but the most viewings Seider likely had were at the WJC B tournament. How many of these internet scouts do you think were going to watch Mannheim play in Germany? I think Pronman is likely the most connected "internet" scout and even he barely watched Seider play and hasnt had a single viewing of Stutzle which makes me think he didnt watch Seider in Germany at all. He maybe was a consensus lower prospect on a lot of rankings pre draft but he was also a consensus fast riser. I would guess he rose quick because these scouts started getting word from actual NHL scouts about what they thought of him. A lot of those consensus risers end up going earlier than where these lists have them. Scheifele and Jeff Skinner are examples of that. Pronman said after talking to scouts post draft that he should've had Seider ranked higher.

After the draft there was talk of at least one other team in the top 10 likely to take him. Maybe it was Holland in Edmonton or another team but in interviews they sounded pretty sure that he wasnt going to last much longer. When the Habs draft list leaked they had Seider at 11, but he was also the second ranked dman behind Byram. So we know for sure that 2 NHL lists had him as the second ranked dman. Take that for what you want, but I doubt that Seider falls out of the top 10 if Detroit doesnt take him. Is getting what a lot of people consider the second best dman in the draft at 6 a reach? Maybe a little high at 6 but I doubt he falls much later than that.

He was talking about Zadina but read what I said above. Theres no way Seider was actually the 15th or 20th best prospect in that draft. Everyone will get to see him shortly in prospects camp, training camp and the preseason so we might be able to gauge this better. But a lot of people are listening to random internet lists vs actual NHL teams to decide how good a prospect theyve never watched is. I'm not saying hes some stud, 1st pairing dman but people should take more of a wait and see approach because with what people are saying post draft, its clear Seider was underrated heading into the draft because not a lot of people had seen him play

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Zadina, Veleno and Seider way too high. None of those guys are elite.
LOl. Zadina has been an elite prospect t for the last 3 years and he seems to be getting better.
He’s not quite Kakko but he’s probably in the tier right below. Making this ranking damn accurate.

I don’t be know enough about Seider.

Valeno might turn out to be a top line C. At least 2c. Personally, I rate the top 50 prospects at dfferent levels of elite, but even if you want to narrow that down to top 15, Zadina is clearly still in the mix. Valeno probably right outside with plenty room to improve.

There are very few prospect wingers I’d want ahead of ZAdina. Guys like Tolvanen aren’t among them.

Zadina is clearly an elite prospect though by every definition of the word.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Sure, but I'll take multiple years of one player being much better than another over just one year any day.

Plus this is ignoring that Zadina had far from a bad season, where there is nothing to suggest he doesn't have elite potential.

He had a superb AHL season for a foreign rookie a team such a young age. Some prospects are still in college at his age.

Not only will Zadina be one of the top wingers in the league eventually, he will be Wings best winger for a very long time. The guy has 40/40 written all over him and that’s probably not even his ceiling.
Kakko, A. Svechnikov, Kaprizov, maybe the other Russian dude I forget his name, etc... Zadina should be right their behind these guys for a long time.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
LOl. Zadina has been an elite prospect t for the last 3 years and he seems to be getting better.
He’s not quite Kakko but he’s probably in the tier right below. Making this ranking damn accurate.

I don’t be know enough about Seider.

Valeno might turn out to be a top line C. At least 2c. Personally, I rate the top 50 prospects at dfferent levels of elite, but even if you want to narrow that down to top 15, Zadina is clearly still in the mix. Valeno probably right outside with plenty room to improve.

There are very few prospect wingers I’d want ahead of ZAdina. Guys like Tolvanen aren’t among them.

Zadina is clearly an elite prospect though by every definition of the word.

Zadina isn't close to Kakko. Zadina's AHL production was horrible and he got outscored by a dman, Sandin (on a per game basis). His skating sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad