HFBoards Top 20 NHL Prospects: #17

#17 NHL prospect?

• Total voters

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Its obvious homer votes.
https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-tsn-go-1.989926

TSN doesnt have him in the top 50.
The Hockey News didnt have him in the top 40.
There were Leaf fans voting for him to be in the top ten.

From that same article....

Toronto:
1 Timothy Liljegren, D
2 Andreas Johnsson, LW
3 Andrew Nielsen, D
4 Carl Grundstrom, LW
5 Garret Sparks, G

They have Andrew Nielsen listed as Toronto's 3rd ranked prospect. He'd be lucky to crack the Top 15. Terrible, much like their Top 50 list.

TSN also ranked Matthew's as a Top 10 player. I assume you agree?

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Another thread derailed by the insecurities of some non Leaf fans.

Sometimes the whining on this board is unbearable.

I voted Tkachuk, think he goes top 6 this draft, and follows a similar path like his brother.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He's not only getting votes from his fan base. Try to be truthful.

I mentioned the exact numbers in a previous post in which I quoted you in. Thus, I figured I could get away with an exaggeration and I hoped common sense would be exercised to recognize hyperbole...but unfortunately I was wrong.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Reactions: Kuola

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Voted Cody Glass. I think he's so... underrated. He'll slowly turn into one of the best players in the league.

Also don't get why Vesalainen wasn't even in the top fifty. He'll be NHL ready going into 2019-20.

Overall, I think Petterson is the best prospect out there right now. My favourite for rookie of the year right now and truly believe he'll be a stud for the Vancouver Canucks for a very long time.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Wow is Zadina really that good to be a consensus top 5 already...I didn't know the 2018 draft was so strong at the top.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Oufff that article doesn't help your case at all. Glass at 4? Heiskanen at 8? Nylander a top 25 prospect? That's with only looking at it for 30 seconds.

Lol at citing Button for a post draft list. I appreciate his pre draft stuff but once there's affiliation he's got too much clear organizational/ relationship bias. I mean pre draft he has Liljegren 10 and Valimaki 17. His brother takes Valimaki, passing over Liljegren (Button's clear BPA)? Valimaki launches from 17th in the 2017 draft to 18th amongst all drafted prospects. Liljegren, who's Liljegren?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Lol at citing Button for a post draft list. I appreciate his pre draft stuff but once there's affiliation he's got too much clear organizational/ relationship bias. I mean pre draft he has Liljegren 10 and Valimaki 17. His brother takes Valimaki, passing over Liljegren (Button's clear BPA)? Valimaki launches from 17th in the 2017 draft to 18th amongst all drafted prospects. Liljegren, who's Liljegren?

So what tells you it is a Button list? I read the list was done by "TSN Staff"....

Every ranking had Valimaki at lwast 15 spots ahead of Liljegren after the World Juniors. Go check Hockey News Future Watch.

Liljegren isnt that good and had an unimpressive (record breaking apparently) season. Just vote him in though so these discussions can end. Just like Kapanen last year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So what tells you it is a Button list? I read the list was done by "TSN Staff"....

Every ranking had Valimaki at lwast 15 spots ahead of Liljegren after the World Juniors. Go check Hockey News Future Watch.

Liljegren isnt that good and had an unimpressive (record breaking apparently) season. Just vote him in though so these discussions can end. Just like Kapanen last year.

It was a Button list- https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/button-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-list.2444933/

So again you're basing your entire stance on one list that is strongly biased by one mans relationship biases and another that ignores the agendas of the scouts that submit offhand musings.

Don't you mean Oskar Lindblom? Where's the self righteous policing and snide remarks at Flyers fans? Kapanen went in the late 20's/early 30's last year. I voted Wahlstrom, I've got 4 names to go before I click Liljegren.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
You will have to provide some arguments if you are essentially saying Liljegren moves to the top-10 of a 2017 redraft. He had a nice year, but many were just as and more impressive.
He was projected to go top 5 before getting sick, so I don’t see how your argument is valid at all

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
He was projected to go top 5 before getting sick, so I don’t see how your argument is valid at all
How is that relevant to anything? Whatever my argument was, it surely didn’t depend on where Liljegren was ranked months before his draft.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
So ur saying he won’t end up as a top 10 player from that draft? Based on what?
He went 17th, so I think the burden of proof is yours. I watched him in the playoffs and at the WJCs, and while he looked fairly good for his age, I didn't see the offense I expected and he still has work to do defensively. Not a bad season by any means, but not one that propels him into the top-10.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Do 18 people out there really think Vasalainen is a better prospect than Tkachuk and Chytil?

Vesalainen is only like 3 monthes older than Tkachuk and has the 4th best point(, 2nd best goal scoring) total as a U19 FEL player while Tkachuks performance in College(which is much easier to play and score in) wasn’t that impressive.

Vesalainen has been better internationally than Chythil for the past 3 years plus he scored a higher PPG and Goal Per Game in a more difficult league.

Maybe you should look at the context before you condescendingly comment on the subject.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
He went 17th, so I think the burden of proof is yours. I watched him in the playoffs and at the WJCs, and while he looked fairly good for his age, I didn't see the offense I expected and he still has work to do defensively. Not a bad season by any means, but not one that propels him into the top-10.
I guess time will tell

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Vesalainen is only like 3 monthes older than Tkachuk and has the 4th best point(, 2nd best goal scoring) total as a U19 FEL player while Tkachuks performance in College(which is much easier to play and score in) wasn’t that impressive.

Vesalainen has been better internationally than Chythil for the past 3 years plus he scored a higher PPG and Goal Per Game in a more difficult league.

Maybe you should look at the context before you condescendingly comment on the subject.

It's easy to toss around subjective opinions and play them off as being objective on a forum where the standard of proof never falls on the person making the claims.

I've seen you elsewhere on the forum though, and I know your kind. Time will tell.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It's easy to toss around subjective opinions and play them off as being objective on a forum where the standard of proof never falls on the person making the claims.

I've seen you elsewhere on the forum though, and I know your kind. Time will tell.

Well all we can really judge them on is there performance and talents, Vesalainen has outperformed each of them(minus Tkachuk in the WJC U20 this season, but still did much better in a harder league). Also well there is better argument for Tkachuk could I ask you explain to me why you think Chythil is so superior that you condescendingly act as if 18 people are wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad