HFBoards Top 20 NHL Prospects: #17

#17 NHL prospect?

• Total voters

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
- Less than 30 NHL games
- 24 years or younger
- Already drafted/signed or eligible to be drafted in 2018

Will not be doing any more run-off polls. Player with the most votes gets the spot.

Title says top 20 but I'll keep going until interest dies out (whether that's to 10 or 50)

Vote on who to add. Just like the post that already mentions that player.

1. Rasmus Dahlin - NHL Draft Eligible
2. Andrei Svechnikov - NHL Draft Eligible
3. Elias Pettersson - Vancouver Canucks
4. Miro Heiskanen - Dallas Stars
5. Filip Zadina - NHL Draft Eligible
6. Casey Mittelstadt - Buffalo Sabres
7. Eeli Tolvanen - Nashville Predators
8. Cale Makar - Colorado Avalanche
9. Kiril Kaprizov - Minnesota Wild
10. Gabe Vilardi - LA Kings
11. Martin Necas - Carolina Hurricanes
12. Quinton Hughes - NHL Draft Eligible
13. Dylan Strome - Arizona Coyotes
14. Robert Thomas - St. Louis Blues
15. Henrik Borgstrom - Florida Panthers
16. Noah Dobson - NHL Draft Eligible

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Tkachuk, he will be a top 5 pick next week

add Tippett, Kotkaniemi (he'll probably be top 7)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4thline

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Kind of expected Shestyorkin or Sorokin would be getting more attention by this point.
They both have tremendous potential IMO.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Tkachuk is way too overrated... Wahlstrom is better, he’s ranked higher on most open rankings and I’d bet my top dollar he gets picked ahead of Tkachuk. Same for Boqvist.

There is a 3 month age difference from Tkachuk and Vesalainen, Vesalainen has more Points, PPG, Goals, GPG in FEL compared to Tkachuks NCAA totals and FEL is a much harder league to score in. The only difference between them is Vesalainen is bigger, faster and has a better shot.

Does the 3 months really make the difference up? I sure don’t think so.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
You will have to provide some arguments if you are essentially saying Liljegren moves to the top-10 of a 2017 redraft. He had a nice year, but many were just as and more impressive.

Hischier and Patrick are in the NHL, while Pettersson, Heiskanen, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen, Makar, Vilardi, Necas and Thomas are already included in this ranking. That could be seen as a consensus top 10 from the 2017 draft.

Are you saying that it is unreasonable to have Liljegren as a poll option at this point (alongside Vesalainen, Chytil, Glass, Välimäki, etc.)?

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Hischier and Patrick are in the NHL, while Pettersson, Heiskanen, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen, Makar, Vilardi, Necas and Thomas are already included in this ranking. That could be seen as a consensus top 10 from the 2017 draft.

Are you saying that it is unreasonable to have Liljegren as a poll option at this point (alongside Vesalainen, Chytil, Glass, Välimäki, etc.)?
No, and I don’t think that was implied in any way.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Chytil and Tkachuk were born two weeks apart and the latter has twice as many votes when both had similar production, with Chytil playing 1C on a professional team. Recency bias is strong here.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Tkachuk is way too overrated... Wahlstrom is better, he’s ranked higher on most open rankings and I’d bet my top dollar he gets picked ahead of Tkachuk. Same for Boqvist.

There is a 3 month age difference from Tkachuk and Vesalainen, Vesalainen has more Points, PPG, Goals, GPG in FEL compared to Tkachuks NCAA totals and FEL is a much harder league to score in. The only difference between them is Vesalainen is bigger, faster and has a better shot.

Does the 3 months really make the difference up? I sure don’t think so.

Comparing a player from the NCAA with a completely different style of play to Vas is a bad idea. I know you'd really like to get your boy in the top 20, but none of your arguments have been sound up until now.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You're entirely wrong, but have your opinion.

From an unbiased perspective, I completely agree with the poster. Liljegren has no business getting votes at this point. Pretty comical that he's in 3rd place here. There are many prospects not even listed yet that I would take ahead of Liljegren without hesitation. His 17 point season in the AHL is not exactly eye-popping by any means.

Reactions: bert

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
His 17 point season in the AHL is not exactly eye-popping by any means.

Pretty comparable (D relative to F) to Chytil's. Both had big starts and then trailed off majorly statistically but looked damn good and made big strides in their games.

There's maybe 3-4 players as options right now that are clear cut ahead of Liljegren, then a lot of comparable guys (many that aren't options yet) that arguments could be made both ways.

It's the problem with ordinal rankings for non-ordinal subject matter. The true difference between say the 2oth prospect and 36th as rated by this pole is going to be minuscule, and Liljegren belongs in that group

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Pretty comparable (D relative to F) to Chytil's. Both had big starts and then trailed off majorly statistically but looked damn good and made big strides in their games.

There's maybe 3-4 players as options right now that are clear cut ahead of Liljegren, then a lot of comparable guys (many that aren't options yet) that arguments could be made both ways.

It's the problem with ordinal rankings for non-ordinal subject matter. The true difference between say the 2oth prospect and 36th as rated by this pole is going to be minuscule, and Liljegren belongs in that group

Chytil had 26 points in 29 AHL games before the Rangers imploded and called-up Pionk, DeAngelo, Sproul, Gilmour, and Georgiev. The Wolfpack was bad even before that point, but losing their entire top-four and starter gutted the team and gave Chytil basically no chance to succeed, with the team regularly facing 40+ shots against while being entirely without offensive support.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Chytil had 26 points in 29 AHL games before the Rangers imploded and called-up Pionk, DeAngelo, Sproul, Gilmour, and Georgiev. The Wolfpack was bad even before that point, but losing their entire top-four and starter gutted the team and gave Chytil basically no chance to succeed, with the team regularly facing 40+ shots against while being entirely without offensive support.

None of that disputes the fact that 31 in 46 for a forward isn't any more eyepopping than 17 in 44 for a dman at the same age, that a 9 in 6 start followed by 22 in 40 is falling off majorly statistically, and that neither of the previous comes near telling the full story of how impressive his season was.

Reactions: Kelly

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
None of that disputes the fact that 31 in 46 for a forward isn't any more eyepopping than 17 in 44 for a dman at the same age, that a 9 in 6 start followed by 22 in 40 is falling off majorly statistically, and that neither of the previous comes near telling the full story of how impressive his season was.

Chytil was involved in 15% of the Wolfpack’s goals, whereas Liljegren was involved in 7% of the Marlies’, and the latter team had 46 more goals for and 82 fewer goals against through the season. It isn’t honest to disregard the squads each player had supporting them, nor is it honest to draw focus to Chytil’s statistical drop-off without acknowledging the fact that it happened exactly when the already-mediocre Wolfpack lost their four best defenseman and starting goalie, compared to Liljegren producing with superior teammates on a championship-winning team.

Reactions: Leon Draisaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad