• Jonathan Quick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Those are considerably different, as evidenced by the different threat level. Tampa gets much closer to the front of the net than they allow their opponents to.

Yes it’s different but the idea is the same. Anyways if you can understand the threat level you should be able to understand that Bishop had a better defense in front of him.

And I have no idea why you said Vasy faces a lot of shots from the perimeter when the chart shows most of the shots coming right from the slot but whatever.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yes it’s different but the idea is the same. Anyways if you can understand the threat level you should be able to understand that Bishop had a better defense in front of him.

And I have no idea why you said Vasy faces a lot of shots from the perimeter when the chart shows most of the shots coming right from the slot but whatever.

Bishop had a 5v5 xSV% of 92.07%.

Vasilevskiy's was 92.85%.

Vasilevskiy didn't even break 1 5v5 GSAA, while Bishop posted 18.21.

Bishop's defense is better because they limit quantity of shots, but in terms of flattering a goaltender's save percentage, Vasilevskiy's defense is miles ahead of Bishop's.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Carey Price plays with absolute trash in front of him. Besides Petry and Weber, ALL the other dmen(besides Jordie Benn) got sent down or cleared waivers at some point. He isn't the same goalie as his Hart year, but he is still the best goalie in the league.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
B596047C-C8CC-4AD7-8919-F0A13932A81C.jpeg

Advanced stats for goalies are pretty much a waste of time at the moment imo and depending on the model you choose you could easily paint Vasy as either the best goalie in the league or just a middle of the pack one.

I watch Vasy play 82 games a season so I definitely feel like he is a great goalie who doesn’t really get helped as much as he could by his defense.

I can however understand if you disagree and there is nothing wrong with thinking Bishop is the better goalie. My main point when starting this was just that our defense isn’t all that great and dismissing Vasy because of that is just stupid.

Bishop had a 5v5 xSV% of 92.07%.

Vasilevskiy's was 92.85%.

Vasilevskiy didn't even break 1 5v5 GSAA, while Bishop posted 18.21.

Bishop's defense is better because they limit quantity of shots, but in terms of flattering a goaltender's save percentage, Vasilevskiy's defense is miles ahead of Bishop's.

Attachments

• 554D6E27-99FC-45F9-988B-F14AEFB6E8D9.jpeg
    554D6E27-99FC-45F9-988B-F14AEFB6E8D9.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 4

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is simply not true. Bobrovsky and Price have almost identical career numbers (Bob's SV% is .919, Price's is .918). Price's playoff numbers are much better and have improved over the years, while Bobrovsky has been awful in the playoffs, except for one series (Price's playoff SV% is .914, Bob's is .902).

Don't mean to misinterpret, but it sounds like your issue with Price is the hyperbole, not the goalie himself. I'm not a fan of titles like "Best in the world" because it's too fluid and subjective, and -- as it seems to have done with you -- it pisses people off. Understandable. Based on concrete numbers, age, trends, etc., my take is that Price is among the top three/four goalies in the league. The fact that he's been there consistently for years would push him up to the top tier, along with Gibson (who I'd have no trouble placing at #1).
Since 12-13, Bobrovsky is at 62.71 goals saved and Price 29.93 goals saved. That's a gargantuan gap.

If you're taking an "advanced stats don't matter at all" stance, that's fine, but that's what it is.

A 30+ goal gap doesn't happen by accident.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
I would’ve been fine with Bishop winning the Vezina. I just feel like it’s ridiculous to completely dismiss Vasy because of the team he plays for when our defense is average at best.

5th in the league GA = average? Anyways. I wouldn't actually seriously dismiss him. It just seems so hard to give him a fair comparison to anyone else. No matter how he plays right now it wont seem as impressive as a goaltender playing lights out on a struggling team.

It just seems like you could pick from a large group of starting goalies in NHL, set them up to be a starter in TBL, and you wouldn't notice a massive difference. If the team had 10% more GA, it would still be best team in the regular season last year.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I really don't get all the love for Gibson. He's never won a vezina - hasn't ever finished above 7th place and this was 4 years ago when he barely played 40 games.

i get that he's young and he's a good goalie - and who knows maybe 1 day he can become the best in the league. But his #s simply aren't there.

I still like Price #1 - some of that is based on reputation, a lot of that is based on ability. I could see arguments for Bob or Vasi ahead maybe - i just don't get all the love for Gibson though. He's simply not the best goalie in the league.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I really don't get all the love for Gibson. He's never won a vezina - hasn't ever finished above 7th place and this was 4 years ago when he barely played 40 games.

i get that he's young and he's a good goalie - and who knows maybe 1 day he can become the best in the league. But his #s simply aren't there.

I still like Price #1 - some of that is based on reputation, a lot of that is based on ability. I could see arguments for Bob or Vasi ahead maybe - i just don't get all the love for Gibson though. He's simply not the best goalie in the league.
The thing with Gibson is that lately the Ducks are actually as bad as everyone thinks the Habs are.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I’ll give it until the end of the night. If it’s within 1, we’ll do a runoff.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The thing with Gibson is that lately the Ducks are actually as bad as everyone thinks the Habs are.

5 straight divisional titles, then a 2nd place. How are the Ducks that bad? They had a really bad year last season for sure - but that's it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
5 straight divisional titles, then a 2nd place. How are the Ducks that bad? They had a really bad year last season for sure - but that's it.
They couldn't defend if you gave them shotguns and lasers. They were giving up literally close to 35 shots a game before Carlyle got fired.

Meanwhile, Montreal finished top 10 in shots allowed. They've given up fewer shots and expected goals than the Ducks the entire time Gibson has been a starter.

I will concede that the Ducks got considerably worse than usual just last year but they haven't been a good defensive team since Jonas Hiller was starting.

Hahahax

Apr 2, 2018
Vasilevskiy.

I don't understand the Price votes. Price is the biggest name among goaltenders, but he's definitely not the best goaltender.

As of february 28th, 198 players were polled, 99 from each conference and Carey Price received 28% of the votes, Fleury 16% and Vasilevskiy 15%.

I guess you must know better than them though. And to the know-it-alls voting for Bob, he didnt make the top 5, haha.

Edit: Source, the athletic.

Last edited:

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I’ll give it until the end of the night. If it’s within 1, we’ll do a runoff.
A 3-way runoff :D

I find it hilarious that people are shitting on Price. The defense in front of him is atrocious (save for Weber and Petry - and late in season: rookie goalless Mete). Put him in TB, and TB would have won a Cup already.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Okay, now that Vasilevskiy has somehow taken the lead, I’ll let it sit overnight :laugh:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Since 12-13, Bobrovsky is at 62.71 goals saved and Price 29.93 goals saved. That's a gargantuan gap.

If you're taking an "advanced stats don't matter at all" stance, that's fine, but that's what it is.

A 30+ goal gap doesn't happen by accident.
Advanced stats do have value. Taken all together, they paint a good picture. However, looking at one stat in isolation doesn't tell you much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad