Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
Markstrom belongs at least as an initial poll option after his last two seasons.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He has better numbers across the board.

Price is a good goaltender, don't get me wrong, but the idea that he's the best in the world is a complete fiction written by Montreal fans and the Canadian media.

Bobrovsky has had a significantly better career.
This is simply not true. Bobrovsky and Price have almost identical career numbers (Bob's SV% is .919, Price's is .918). Price's playoff numbers are much better and have improved over the years, while Bobrovsky has been awful in the playoffs, except for one series (Price's playoff SV% is .914, Bob's is .902).

Don't mean to misinterpret, but it sounds like your issue with Price is the hyperbole, not the goalie himself. I'm not a fan of titles like "Best in the world" because it's too fluid and subjective, and -- as it seems to have done with you -- it pisses people off. Understandable. Based on concrete numbers, age, trends, etc., my take is that Price is among the top three/four goalies in the league. The fact that he's been there consistently for years would push him up to the top tier, along with Gibson (who I'd have no trouble placing at #1).

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
gibson, bob, vasi and bishop are better than price right now

Bishop's stats only got better when Montgomery became coach (similar to Lehner in NYI).... No way would I put him in the league's top 5 until he can consistently show he can maintain his stats year after year

at least Bob, Price, and Gibson have proven they dont need defensive coaches to be great goalies..... and as good as Vasi was this season, if you put the latter two in TB and they wouldve won the Vezina

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Ben Bishop has kinda gone under the radar since leaving TBL and then getting injured. I do think he is a massive reason why Dallas Stars had the 2nd least GA last season, and the 2nd least GA over the last two seasons. He is putting up the same kind of numbers in Dallas as on TBL.

If TBL had a less stacked team I think Bishop wins the Vezina this year, instead of being first runner up.

For me, it's Bishop. Gibson is great but it's hard to get proper consideration when his team sucked this year. Price lives off old merits, he is top 5 still though. Vasi plays on TBL. Bobrovsky is a hit or miss. He will be the absolute best goalie during long stretches and then go stretches not even qualifying into top 10. A career .902 over 34 playoff games is probably one of the worst in the league. I have name 15-20 active goalies with better playoff stats

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
This is simply not true. Bobrovsky and Price have almost identical career numbers (Bob's SV% is .919, Price's is .918). Price's playoff numbers are much better and have improved over the years, while Bobrovsky has been awful in the playoffs, except for one series (Price's playoff SV% is .914, Bob's is .902).

Don't mean to misinterpret, but it sounds like your issue with Price is the hyperbole, not the goalie himself. I'm not a fan of titles like "Best in the world" because it's too fluid and subjective, and -- as it seems to have done with you -- it pisses people off. Understandable. Based on concrete numbers, age, trends, etc., my take is that Price is among the top three/four goalies in the league. The fact that he's been there consistently for years would push him up to the top tier, along with Gibson (who I'd have no trouble placing at #1).

I’m sure he’s taking into account a whole lot more than just raw stats like Sv%

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I’m sure he’s taking into account a whole lot more than just raw stats like Sv%
There is no body of evidence that supports Bobrovsky having a "Significantly better career". Not regular season, not playoffs. It doesn't exist. I'm not looking to pick a fight with @Machinehead -- he's a bright guy with some good points -- but his opinion on Price sounds like a reaction to the perceived hype rather than an analysis of the data.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Back???

Bobrovsky and Gibson are in their own world here, right now. Price couldn't find that world with a GPS.

Bib had a 2.58gaa/.913sv% last year. very middle of the pack. obviously hasn't been in his own world since 2016-2017

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
If you are gonna dismiss Vasy for playing on Tampa you better do the same for Bishop since he plays behind an even better defense.

4D71D6C0-9221-4158-8C07-3AB62033B723.png
C4522AA5-A548-4995-ABB8-A04DD35B985D.png
Ben Bishop has kinda gone under the radar since leaving TBL and then getting injured. I do think he is a massive reason why Dallas Stars had the 2nd least GA last season, and the 2nd least GA over the last two seasons. He is putting up the same kind of numbers in Dallas as on TBL.

If TBL had a less stacked team I think Bishop wins the Vezina this year, instead of being first runner up.

For me, it's Bishop. Gibson is great but it's hard to get proper consideration when his team sucked this year. Price lives off old merits, he is top 5 still though. Vasi plays on TBL. Bobrovsky is a hit or miss. He will be the absolute best goalie during long stretches and then go stretches not even qualifying into top 10. A career .902 over 34 playoff games is probably one of the worst in the league. I have name 15-20 active goalies with better playoff stats

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vasilevskiy.

I don't understand the Price votes. Price is the biggest name among goaltenders, but he's definitely not the best goaltender.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Do we want to do a run-off, since this is #1 but seems too close to call right now?

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
If you are gonna dismiss Vasy for playing on Tampa you better do the same for Bishop since he plays behind an even better defense.

View attachment 249013 View attachment 249011

Every save count when you are 29th GF in the league. None is laughing in the locker room when Dallas lets in a goal. Honestly the advanced stats seems marginal. Do you think Vasilevsky deserves the Vezina because he had a 39-10-4 record? If Dallas has 110 more goals I'm sure Bishop would had a good win record too. He has 0% contribution on those 110 goals though

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

View attachment 249013 View attachment 249011

Literally just look at the charts that you posted and you can see pretty clearly how Vasilevskiy's defense flatters his save percentage more than Bishop's. He faces next to nothing up close and then faces plenty from the perimeter. That's a goaltender's dream.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
And here is another goaltender’s dream. Nothing from in front of the net right? Oh wait it’s the best offense in the league.
356EF24B-2F92-46A3-A29E-8FBC0DE93078.png
Literally just look at the charts that you posted and you can see pretty clearly how Vasilevskiy's defense flatters his save percentage more than Bishop's. He faces next to nothing up close and then faces plenty from the perimeter. That's a goaltender's dream.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Every save count when you are 29th GF in the league. None is laughing in the locker room when Dallas lets in a goal. Honestly the advanced stats seems marginal. Do you think Vasilevsky deserves the Vezina because he had a 39-10-4 record? If Dallas has 110 more goals I'm sure Bishop would had a good win record too. He has 0% contribution on those 110 goals though

I would’ve been fine with Bishop winning the Vezina. I just feel like it’s ridiculous to completely dismiss Vasy because of the team he plays for when our defense is average at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad