GDT: HFBoards GDT | 2/26/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Sounds like Jim Thomas asking the question - he was the writer for the Rams for forever and had never followed hockey until recently. He's been better than I expected, but yeah, every once in a while in a media scrum he'll ask a doosy like that :laugh:

I'm not a fan, but the wannabe tough guy reporters in Canadian markets when teams are struggling are a million times worse.

Reactions: High n Wide

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Source? All I've seen is that they're reviewing it, as they should.

It doesn't appear to be a violation of Rule 48, as he doesn't extend upwards (obviously) and hits through the centre of the body on the hit. Kane is eligible to be hit on that play. His head was hit because of his body position.

All the DoPS can look at is whether there was a way he could have hit Kane's right shoulder, but I don't think it would be realistic on this one.
He could have played the puck that was right there by him instead of hitting the guy up high that was actually trying to play it. Just a thought.

He elbowed him in the nose. I know people just love to hate Kane, but this is blatant.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I dont know if Chara's hit was illegal or not but I know one thing. Kane got bullied big time and I didn't hate it. I wish Chara would grab Nurse and bully him like that. Teach people not to jump people like cowards.
Or teach himself not to elbow players in the nose like cowards.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
I'm not a fan, but the wannabe tough guy reporters in Canadian markets when teams are struggling are a million times worse.

Very true. I actually like Jim in large part because he's so new to the game. I feel like a lot of the beat writers try to insert their opinion and analysis far too much into a story or a quote or in a comment on the state of a team and I don't think that many of them have the depth and knowledge to actually add anything insightful when they do it. Jim doesn't know enough to try to do it so you just get pretty straightforward and factual reporting, which is all I'm ever looking for.

Reactions: egelband

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I dont know if Chara's hit was illegal or not but I know one thing. Kane got bullied big time and I didn't hate it. I wish Chara would grab Nurse and bully him like that. Teach people not to jump people like cowards.
You know who got bullied big time by Nurse? Polak.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He could have played the puck that was right there by him instead of hitting the guy up high that was actually trying to play it. Just a thought.

He elbowed him in the nose. I know people just love to hate Kane, but this is blatant.
His elbow hit him in the nose. That's not the same as him elbowing him in the nose. Elbowing in hockey refers to specifically using your elbow to make a hit. It does not cover body-checks where the elbow makes contact with the opponent, because that includes just about every body-check that is not a "Kronwall."

And yes, he could have not made the hit. That is also true of every single body-check. The only important thing is that he was allowed to make this one because of Kane playing the puck. Just like Bennett didn't have to blow up Simek, but was allowed to. And I bring that up not to be smug, but just because it's one we're both familiar with.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'll always have some love for Kane for KOing Cooke, but yeah here he acts all tough jumping Chara then when the big man gets to his skates Kane just pushes himself as far away as he can and ducks his head.

Also listening to Jack Edwards makes my ears bleed.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Apparently the ref in this Vegas-Dallas game never learned that if the opposing team touches the puck after a hand pass, the hand pass rule is negated.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
His elbow hit him in the nose. That's not the same as him elbowing him in the nose. Elbowing in hockey refers to specifically using your elbow to make a hit. It does not cover body-checks where the elbow makes contact with the opponent, because that includes just about every body-check that is not a "Kronwall."

And yes, he could have not made the hit. That is also true of every single body-check. The only important thing is that he was allowed to make this one because of Kane playing the puck. Just like Bennett didn't have to blow up Simek, but was allowed to. And I bring that up not to be smug, but just because it's one we're both familiar with.
You won't see it the way I saw it. That much is clear.

We'll see what the league says.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'll always have some love for Kane for KOing Cooke, but yeah here he acts all tough jumping Chara then when the big man gets to his skates Kane just pushes himself as far away as he can and ducks his head.

Also listening to Jack Edwards makes my ears bleed.
So he should stand there and let Chara hit him and not try to defend himself?? Chara had his right arm locked up. All he could do at that point was hang on with the left and not get hit.

Never understood that logic. 'Guy in hockey fight tries to avoid getting hit'. Well no shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad