GDT: HFBoards GDT: 11/12/2023 | 5 Games - The other guy is busy this morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Complete bust ties the game with 10 seconds to go

Complete bust has 11 points in 14 games, including 7 goals. I believe 8 have been at even strength (depends on how you count a 6 on 5). Not sure if you were being sarcastic or obnoxious but he's been our second best 5 on 5 forward this season.

Edit: And yes I realize his shooting percentage is unsustainable. But if you actually watch him play he's been the second best forward for this team 5 on 5.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Complete bust has 11 points in 14 games, including 7 goals. I believe 8 have been at even strength (depends on how you count a 6 on 5). Not sure if you were being sarcastic or obnoxious but he's been our second best 5 on 5 forward this season.

Edit: And yes I realize his shooting percentage is unsustainable. But if you actually watch him play he's been the second best forward for this team 5 on 5.
I think 'Bounces R Way' was being sarcastic with that comment (benefit of doubt on my part).
Like you say, anybody with an inkling of knowledge about what makes a good player would be impressed by Lafreniere's level of play this season.

Edit: I shouldn't have posted my opinion of another poster's comment, that's bad etiquette, so my apologies.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

giphy.gif

Is there some law against that now?

The jury is officially in: Alexis Lafreniere is a complete bust thought it was a fairly obvious reference to this thread
Laf will be fine. People often don't acknowledge how much opportunity has to do with what a player is in this league. Lafreniere was drafted by a team that had two top 6 LWs in Panarin and Kreider already on the roster when he joined. Don't know why anyone was shocked when he struggled to produce.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He really has not.

Like I say, his play might be a bit unconventional, but he doesn't qualify as a defensive disaster. His performance metrics don't support this assessment from the seasons where he's actually been allowed to play,

I think this is an unfair branding that he has, and probably a part of the reason why he isn't put in positions to succeed. But you can see, with Caps, Blackhawks in 18-19, Rangers now, that when the coaching has faith in him, he performs well.
Total outlier. He is a guy that takes risks pretty much continuously. Many coaches don’t have an appetite for that kind of player but I think Laviolette loves it.

Reactions: trilobyte

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Total outlier. He is a guy that takes risks pretty much continuously. Many coaches don’t have an appetite for that kind of player but I think Laviolette loves it.
I've lost the plot here (a while ago actually) obviously because I have a poster on Ignore.
I gather this discussion is about Erik Gustafsson?

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I've lost the plot here (a while ago actually) obviously because I have a poster on Ignore.
I gather this discussion is about Erik Gustafsson?
Yes. Right. I’m just saying Gustafsson is unusual in how he takes tons of chances offensively. And I’d argue he has a pretty good success rate. Sometimes the results are hilariously bad but usually he makes something positive happen. And I think Lavi really ‘gets’ Gustafsson whereas I could see a lot of coaches avoiding that kind of player.

Reactions: trilobyte

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Yes. Right. I’m just saying Gustafsson is unusual in how he takes tons of chances offensively. And I’d argue he has a pretty good success rate. Sometimes the results are hilariously bad but usually he makes something positive happen. And I think Lavi really ‘gets’ Gustafsson whereas I could see a lot of coaches avoiding that kind of player.
Yes, I agree with you fully. Since I've been watching Gus with the Rangers, I've been blinking my eyes in wonder at how we landed a player like him for not much more than cap minimum.
He has good skating, and what I find nice is that he has good judgement. That's the kind of D-man that I think the Rangers needed, and with Fox out of commission I am even more happy that he is out there every night.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Yes, I agree with you fully. Since I've been watching Gus with the Rangers, I've been blinking my eyes in wonder at how we landed a player like him for not much more than cap minimum.
He has good skating, and what I find nice is that he has good judgement. That's the kind of D-man that I think the Rangers needed, and with Fox out of commission I am even more happy that he is out there every night.
Lavi also wants the D get involved, especially LD. Forwards are prepared to get back and cover the LD spot. It works. The team has done really well getting back on defense and it has caused problems for others teams covering that kind of rotation.

When Rangers get that cycle going, it's been hard for the opponent to get their defensive coverage straight.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Lavi also wants the D get involved, especially LD. Forwards are prepared to get back and cover the LD spot. It works. The team has done really well getting back on defense and it has caused problems for others teams covering that kind of rotation.

When Rangers get that cycle going, it's been hard for the opponent to get their defensive coverage straight.
Funny you mention the coverage by the forwards allowing D to pinch or come in. I recall one really good example of that just a couple of games ago. K'Andre made a pinch, and there was Zibs hustling back full speed toward the neutral ice to be in the right place if the puck went the other way. It was great to see, and to me it points out good coaching, and the coaches giving the green light to the defencemen to take those managed risks.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
giphy.gif

Is there some law against that now?

The jury is officially in: Alexis Lafreniere is a complete bust thought it was a fairly obvious reference to this thread
Laf will be fine. People often don't acknowledge how much opportunity has to do with what a player is in this league. Lafreniere was drafted by a team that had two top 6 LWs in Panarin and Kreider already on the roster when he joined. Don't know why anyone was shocked when he struggled to produce.

It's hard to tell. If you read that thread and the main boards lots of people are rooting against him. And every time he does anything they find a reason to discredit him. My apologies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's hard to tell. If you read that thread and the main boards lots of people are rooting against him. And every time he does anything they find a reason to discredit him. My apologies.

No worries my guy. Not a big deal.
Hard to distinguish exactly what people mean based on a line of text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad