GDT: HFBoards GDT: 10/14/2023 - 14 Games | The Stanley Cup of GDTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Canucks looked good in both games and always give the oilers a good run for their money. We have a lot of season starts against them where they outplay us but we get the W late in the game so both well deserved wins by them this year.

They did a really good job at clogging up the middle and getting in front of shots. Going back to last season, a lot of teams had success getting into shooting lanes and clogging up the middle against the oilers so I hope woodcroft figures that out. Goaltending for the Canucks was fantastic while the oilers duo gave up a goal every 4 shots. Can't win games that way and gotta figure out a way to capitalize and make a big save every now and then.
I think DeSmith was a sneaky good pickup for them. Hopefully Demko can rest easier knowing he has a capable backup behind him to ease the load.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Oh he's very streaky. When he's not creating offense, he looks invisible; he's still doing little things that lead to success. He'll start scoring for a few weeks. Then go back to status quo, which is why he'll never be more than a 3rd liner.

Does Tocchet like him? He seems like a Tocchet kind of player.
Not sure. I think Tocchet knows what he can do when he’s on his game, but is probably not so enamored with his inconsistent play. That said, he’s not a liability and helps move the puck up the ice so at a minimum he’s got his job on the third line. Will probably need to show more consistency for Tocchet to put him back with Pettersson.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Is there a more useless position than Oilers 2nd PP unit? First unit played ~8:20 out of 9:00 this game.
no shit eh, Oilers PP2 waiting for ice time
1697346513267.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1989 and SiZ

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Not sure. I think Tocchet knows what he can do when he’s on his game, but is probably not so enamored with his inconsistent play. That said, he’s not a liability and helps move the puck up the ice so at a minimum he’s got his job on the third line. Will probably need to show more consistency for Tocchet to put him back with Pettersson.

I posted this on your forum when he was first traded. It's a confidence issue for him. If he can ever stabilize his confidence, he can be a 2nd liner. He does thrive with skilled players (e.g Pettersson), but again, only when he's confident. He meshed well with Nelson and Barzal, his speed opened up space for Nelson in particular. Then he'd go into hibernation and morph into a 3rd liner who does the little things.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a more useless position than Oilers 2nd PP unit? First unit played ~8:20 out of 9:00 this game.
That’s kind of why people laughed at McDavids comments after game 1

McDavid is a great talent but every coach just continues to use the same shitty tactic of deferring to him and Draisaitl, it must kill the confidence for the other players on the team. Expectations is they carry all the heavy lifting

Play like an actual team and not a team that needs McDavid to carry it

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
I do think Skinner will find the zone. I think he's a good goalie with good potential, and he showed it well last year, sans playoffs where I think he was burnt out.

But you never know. I could be totally wrong and he shits the bed hard.
Skinner showed some flashes of quality last season so he's got it in him. I wonder about the quality of the goalie coaching but of course nobody knows what really goes on behind the scenes.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The game was 3-0 Carolina…. Wtf happened

Skinner showed some flashes of quality last season so he's got it in him. I wonder about the quality of the goalie coaching but of course nobody knows what really goes on behind the scenes.
Schwartz is one of, if not the longest tenured Oiler employee.

Most of the goalies he’s worked with were either better before or after they were with Edmontonn

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Firmly believe covid derailed the Canucks harder than most teams the last few years. Nothing to base it on, but I always thought they were better than they showed in recent years.

Not in my opinion
The year we made the playoffs was by a technicality of the covid-play-in games

we had like the 2nd best power play in the league
1st in net PP
2nd in PP opportunities

I think you can run a hot PP for maybe one season to get you into the playoffs. but 5v5 play catches up to you all the time.

we've struggled at 5v5 for a long damn time.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Do people just call everything a slew foot now?

That's a dirty play but it's also not a slew foot.
A Slew Foot in hockey is an action where a player comes from behind an opposing player and trips him using his leg, skate or hockey stick.

So yes, by definition it’s a slew foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad