GDT: HFBoards GDT | 1/4/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
there was a really long stretch there where McDavid was absolutely on fire, and the rest of the team was abysmal. Like, losing the puck in record time while McDavid was juggling the thing. What does Chia even think when he sees this?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Weren't the Oilers considered a Cup contender this year?

#highstandardsindeed
Why are you asking me,I'm not a oilers fan. But if that's the bar for hawks this year it's cool with me. I guess I was just expecting more after all the chest thumping you did after the first game of the season. Been pretty quiet since then. The Wi-Fi not very good in the central cellar?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Jesus Christ, the mobile ads on here are designed to kill all traffic to this site. The hell is going on here? Was the new format designed to drive mobile users away from HFBoards?
Nah, they’re designed to make you pay $12 a year. Personally I’d be embarrassed complaining endlessly that I can’t afford 12 bucks a year, but that’s just me.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Why are you asking me,I'm not a oilers fan. But if that's the bar for hawks this year it's cool with me. I guess I was just expecting more after all the chest thumping you did after the first game of the season. Been pretty quiet since then. The Wi-Fi not very good in the central cellar?
Eh, the Central is a man's division this year. It's about time the Hawks let another team shine and take advantage of league charity in giving away high drafts picks. I mean, it's not like if they were in the Atlantic they wouldn't be a fourth place team or anything. The Central was expected to be a dog fight and if memory serves me the Hawks were predicted by many to miss the playoffs. It's not like they were predicted to chase a Cup like say, the Oilers, but that's neither here nor there.

I am perfectly fine with a lost season as I have seen the Hawks win three Cups in my lifetime. It's a treat, like Halloween candy that's just sweet enough to savour for a bit until I desire to see another piece. It's a very special place. Not many fanbase can actually say that.

I mean, when fans need to pump up a single player instead of their team, it's like winning in spite of losing. Its like the adware all over this site, your a winner, yet....your really not. It's hard to read sometimes

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
NoScript is free, which is cheaper than $12.

Although it's been popping up some cross-script warnings around here lately, which makes me wonder.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
NoScript is free, which is cheaper than $12.

Although it's been popping up some cross-script warnings around here lately, which makes me wonder.
It’s also cheaper to stuff your groceries under your jacket and walk out than it is to pay for them at the register...

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i wouldn't have an issue with paying if they didn't take the site down for "upgrades" or whatever they called it, then had it come back with what's effectively a paywall

i think most of us are adults here and wipe our collective asses with $12, but i wipe my ass when i want to, not when someone tells me to

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
i wouldn't have an issue with paying if they didn't take the site down for "upgrades" or whatever they called it, then had it come back with what's effectively a paywall

i think most of us are adults here and wipe our collective asses with $12, but i wipe my ass when i want to, not when someone tells me to
This site has been $12 for forever and the fact that it’s still $12 after the upgrade is remarkable. I have worked with people that have run this place in the (distant) past and it’s not as easy as you might think.

Edit: also the argument is ridiculous. “I’d pay for my groceries if I decide I want to, but if someone tells me I have to pay I’ll just complain and starve”

What?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

The ads here hinder more then help. On mobile this place is unreadable, which is a shame as there are a few quality posters still here but that number is dwindling rapidly.

A dollar a month is nothing, but that dollar is better served on other forms of social media and making the site more social media friendly/ better looking needs a little more then a like button to make me spend when Reddit has a huge hockey forum for free.

Give me some exclusive content from big names, exclusive player interviews, etc. Make it fresh.

The casual fans opinion isn't worth a dollar. Spend money and others will spend money on your brand.

Reactions: tny760

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
the difference being that the site functioned as a non-paying user before the so-called "upgrades"

if they wanted to bring it back as a pay-only site fine, disclose it that way. as it stands, i'll block javascript and use my adblocker and mock ownership for being so short-sighted as to break their site to make a few bucks

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The ads here hinder more then help. On mobile this place is unreadable, which is a shame as there are a few quality posters still here but that number is dwindling rapidly.

A dollar a month is nothing, but that dollar is better served on other forms of social media and making the site more social media friendly/ better looking needs a little more then a like button to make me spend when Reddit has a huge hockey forum for free.

Give me some exclusive content from big names, exclusive player interviews, etc. Make it fresh.

The casual fans opinion isn't worth a dollar. Spend money and others will spend money on your brand.
On mobile this place is unreadable if you can’t afford $1 a month, which should be no problem for anyone with a job better than a paper route. Every post I’ve made in this thread has been from my phone.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
the difference being that the site functioned as a non-paying user before the so-called "upgrades"

if they wanted to bring it back as a pay-only site fine, disclose it that way. as it stands, i'll block javascript and use my adblocker and mock ownership for being so short-sighted as to break their site to make a few bucks
Agreed.

The place looks great and is more "social media friendly" but at what cost?

If it's a cash run, hockey is not the topic to make money off of. If it was and entire new layout with new ideas like say, exclusive player interviews, that's very appealing.

Right now, it's just the same forum as it was before with a fresh coat of paint. That's not worth a dollar a month when there's free forums out there giving away fan opinion content for free.

And there's the rub. Upgrade everything or watch what's left leave slowly by packing instant amazing gift card winner pages on every hot thread.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
On mobile this place is unreadable if you can’t afford $1 a month, which should be no problem for anyone with a job better than a paper route. Every post I’ve made in this thread has been from my phone.
My dollar can be spent on something else. I come here for quick news and post once in awhile, not to be bombarded with ads. Make me want to pay a buck a month instead of giving some sort of caveat that if I DO pay, I won't be told by a robotic women's voice "attention your phone needs a security upgrade".

It's a buyer's market, first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad