GDT: HFBoards GDT | 1/20/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Who actually calls the Pens juggernauts? I haven't seen anyone call the Pens a juggernaut since after the 2009 cup.

"Look for Pittsburgh to be a defensive juggernaut and an offensive machine." - McGuire when the Pens drafted Maatta. But it's Pierre, so it doesn't count.

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
I would have been ecstatic if the Pens had won the game tonight. Yeah people say it's just another game but it would have been nice to win this one so I can see why Flyers fans would be pumped. Good game. Hopefully next game is played with just as much emotion but with less injuries.

Agreed. I just don't think some people realized how deep the hatred in the rivalry runs. Doesn't matter if your player is the top scorer in the league, he still "sucks". It's just how it goes. I always enjoy these games because of how heated and intense they are. Obviously blows to lose but that's what makes winning them that much better.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
They had 4 consecutive minutes of PP time, in overtime no less, and act like a win wasn't expected? The refs lost control of this game early. I'm not sure of the last time I've seen almost an entire OT with one team on the PP....

..and a goal that should have been disallowed if the ref was doing his job. Whatever.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
It might be yours too based on how you have played against the Rangers and NYI.

We know we suck. You don't...yet will choke.

Such is life.

How about going to the Pens board and reading it. Pens fans know they are going to lose. NYR and Isles are better right now so not sure what you are talking about.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Good game? Check
Drama? Check
Close game? Check
Overtime? Check
Fights? Check
Crazy saves? Check
Rivals? Check

Great game is an understatement

And this is why the Philly/Pens rivalry is so great. Even in meaningless games, they rarely leave fans of either team..or more importantly....neutral fans....disappointed.

mel

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2006
Boston
Agreed. I just don't think some people realized how deep the hatred in the rivalry runs. Doesn't matter if your player is the top scorer in the league, he still "sucks". It's just how it goes. I always enjoy these games because of how heated and intense they are. Obviously blows to lose but that's what makes winning them that much better.

True. That's what makes it such a fun rivalry. These teams hate each other.

However, it seems like you guys have been able to celebrate these types of games more often :laugh: The Flyers always seem to win these games against the Pens. They're crazy games and I enjoy them; I'm just hoping the Pens come out on top next time.

penguins2946*

"Look for Pittsburgh to be a defensive juggernaut and an offensive machine." - McGuire when the Pens drafted Maatta. But it's Pierre, so it doesn't count.

That's because McGuire always does that at the draft.

The Pens were called cup favorites in 2012 and 2013 because of the players they added at the deadline in those years. The Pens were already on fire and added Crosby back in 2012, and they added Iginla, Morrow, Murray and Jokinen in 2013. It didn't turn out well, but let's not act like they were just blindly being given titles that were unjustified. They were called cup contenders in 2010 because they just went to the cup in the previous 2 years. Even with those, the only year they were actually considered a juggernaut was in 2013, and that was justified with how much they beefed up their roster at the deadline. It's not like making the ECF is a bad result either.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They had 4 consecutive minutes of PP time, in overtime no less, and act like a win wasn't expected? The refs lost control of this game early. I'm not sure of the last time I've seen almost an entire OT with one team on the PP....

I thought the refs did an incredible job in this game. One of the best games the refs had all season.

They got 99.9% of the calls correct.

..and a goal that should have been disallowed if the ref was doing his job. Whatever.

Serious question, why should it have been disallowed?

Goalie had no control and the ref could see it the whole time.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
When will Pens fans realize that their problem isn't a lack of tough guys? The problem has nothing to do with the fact that you aren't slashing or cross checking Giroux enough. Your problem is that your team wilts when faced with emotional hockey (with the exception of Malkin who often tends to elevate his game when he's emotional).

You're never going to stop losing to the Flyers or losing early in the playoffs if that doesn't change. Flyers/Pens games are emotional. Playoff series are emotional. That's the common theme. It has nothing to do with team toughness!

EDIT: And to further prove my point-- how many times have the Pens come out flying against the Flyers to start only to lose? Why is that? Because hockey games get more emotional as they go on. It's so blatantly obvious...

Frankly, I find it asinine that so many of your fans want your team to goon up in response to these games. That's counterproductive. All that does is charge the game up even more. And the more emotionally charged, the less effective Crosby, Kunitz, Letang, and Fleury become.

It's pretty simple. I think most of your fans are too close to the situation to recognize that.

Some teams (eg, Flyers) play better when emotionally charged. Some don't. As the emotional leader of the team, Crosby really does need to find a way to put emotions aside. Easier said than done, of course, but that's his biggest (perhaps only) flaw, and it needs to be addressed. As a hockey fan, I was hoping MJ would address this issue. As a Flyers fan, I'm ecstatic that he hasn't.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"Seems" is the key word here...

Your memory is playing tricks.

30 goals and 45 assists in 50 games?

No impact?

Hum...

Sorry...was not trying to come across as ignorant.

Sid does get points against Philly....but in the CRAZY games with lots of emotion...like tonight...Sid never seems to be noticeable. Malkin always seems to be the more engaged player.

I said earlier tonight, if the Pens just play a boring game against us with no emotion, they win easily. And in those games, Sid is noticeable.

Games like tonight, he isn't when compared to Malkin.

Like honestly, how much if today's game was he talked about or a factor. Not much compared to his usual level.

Edit: look at the post above mine. That's what I was getting at.

penguins2946*

When will Pens fans realize that their problem isn't a lack of tough guys? The problem has nothing to do with the fact that you aren't slashing or cross checking Giroux enough. Your problem is that your team wilts when faced with emotional hockey (with the exception of Malkin who often tends to elevate his game when he's emotional).

You're never going to stop losing to the Flyers or losing early in the playoffs if that doesn't change. Flyers/Pens games are emotional. Playoff series are emotional. That's the common theme. It has nothing to do with team toughness!

EDIT: And to further prove my point-- how many times have the Pens come out flying against the Flyers to start only to lose? Why is that? Because hockey games get more emotional as they go on. It's so blatantly obvious...

Frankly, I find it asinine that so many of your fans want your team to goon up in response to these games. That's counterproductive. All that does is charge the game up even more. And the more emotionally charged, the less effective Crosby, Kunitz, Letang, and Fleury become.

It's pretty simple. I think most of your fans are too close to the situation to recognize that.

Some teams (eg, Flyers) play better when emotionally charged. Some don't. As the emotional leader of the team, Crosby really does need to find a way to put emotions aside. Easier said than done, of course, but that's his biggest (perhaps only) flaw, and it needs to be addressed. As a hockey fan, I was hoping MJ would address this issue. As a Flyers fan, I'm ecstatic that he hasn't.

The emotion issue and lack of tough guy issue are 2 separate things. Both are a problem. The Pens are really soft and they wilt when they are put in a gritty situation.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

I think you're right on the money. When the Pens play clinically, they can beat anyone. When they don't, they lose. If they, and the coaching staff, haven't figured that our yet, screw'em.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

I honestly wonder why the Pens don't just ignore the Flyers' tactics. The Devils don't respond to Philly's antics and it usually works well. For whatever reason, the Flyers need it to be chippy to look emotionally invested. Strange

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
I thought the refs did an incredible job in this game. One of the best games the refs had all season.

They got 99.9% of the calls correct.

Serious question, why should it have been disallowed?

Goalie had no control and the ref could see it the whole time.

Yes they did such an incredible job that they ignored a blatant penalty against Downie minutes before calling a weak cross checking penalty on Sill at the end of he game. I have no problems with the too many men penalty in OT but the one before that was garbage.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
I also feel that had Greiss not started looking around for the puck that the whistle would have blown. The ref reacted to Greiss instead of the puck because he had it for long enough to get the whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad