Salary Cap: HFB Penguins: More Kessel Threads than You Can Shake a Hotdog at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Even one-leg Malkin has more impact to the game than David Perron

not on the scoreboard he didn't.

Obviously Malkin is a much much better player. But that doesn't mean Perron isn't a good player. He's been a good player for years, including a good chunk of last year.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dude, we hate how much our team loves experience. But we also can't win without it. Obviously.

"We have no assets left, farms in siberia are deeper than the Pens right now, and I can't wait to acquire a Dman at the deadline"

doods.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Compare Perron to Malkin.lmao.

They were both injured. Why do we expect Perron to produce despite that, but not Geno?

I think there are legit questions about a slower/questionable defensively Perron playing in the top 6 opposite of Kessel (who's iffy defensively) or PH (who's also slower and hurts him in the D-zone).

But the guy's a good player. Has been for years.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm not blaming Melrose for calling out something that a lot of posters on this board won't look at. Our defense isn't very good and we don't stand a chance at a cup if we can't add to it.

We went from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Our defense is very young and inexperienced, yes. I wouldn't call them bad. It's the salary cap. You either try and spread your team out (like we've done for 6 years and have failed miserably at) or try to play to your strengths and minimize your weakness. (which we are finally doing) Next step is to ship Scuds to the moon. We have to commit completely to the young defense and ensure both Dumoulin and Pouliot are playing every night. (unless of course JR has something up his sleeve for an Oduya or a comparable) The great thing? The kids have 82 games to figure it out! They have time to develop all year and to establish themselves, assert themselves. That's what the regular season is all about. Even if this is a building year, we have Sid/Geno/Kessel/Horny/Letang/MAF locked up long-term. I'm not throwing in the the towel by any means this year. In fact I think this team has a great chance of doing great things. But if we don't, we need to grow. And we are finally in position to do that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pouliot taking a big step next year (relative to his type of game) will go farther for this team becoming a contender the next few years than bringing in any D-man with the assets we have to offer.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I guarantee 25+30 out of Perron if he sticks in the top 6 all year/stays healthy. I have that much faith in him. I love the heart of this kid. (I realize the rib injury was stated it happened against Buffalo.. I really have a hard time believing that.. the guy was a completely different player when he first got here and at the end of the year.. and it wasn't just his finishing ability. Seriously he got here and was flying out there. There were nights he was the best player on the ice.. then it just started crashing down. It was definitely a skating issue. That's what I saw. Maybe a conditioning issue. Not that he's a speedster, but his skating was seriously hampering him)

I've been trying to find the exact game but just can't locate it. But seriously, I remember all the post game threads last year. Not just by me every game, but everyone had him as a plus constantly. To me, you need to separate him and Kessel, because those are the two wings that can create on their own. The fact that we are even talking about him potentially being used with Sutter makes me :shakehead

It was this game:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400564477

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
To me, you need to separate him and Kessel, because those are the two wings that can create on their own. The fact that we are even talking about him potentially being used with Sutter makes me :shakehead

This is crucial. No Kunitz-x-Hornqvist or Dupuis-x-Hornqvist, just like Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist and KCH were stupid, it's a KCD retread if neither winger can create something on their own. They have two established top 6 wingers who can do that so they go on different lines, and they have whatever they have in Bennett but they'll **** up finding out. Naturally Perron will go with Sutter because Sutter simply needs the right wingers to break out.

If Putter is purely a coaching decision than JR needs to intervene

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Woah woah woah. Wait a second.

MAYBE the defense is bad. The problem with the defense, right now, is it's like 31 flavors of question marks. I don't think anyone, especially Jerry Melrose, who has done exactly 0 analysis of these players, should be calling it BAD.

It might wind up being BAD. Or, you know, Maatta and Letang stay healthy, Dumoulin finds his confidence, Lovejoy rebounds, and Pouliot and Cole perform well.

NONE OF THAT STUFF IS UNREASONABLE. I'm far-more concerned about

1) GETTING THE **** RID OF SCUDERI
2) Staying healthy.

That's a lot of "if's" And Lovejoy can't rebound because he was never good to begin with. He's the same player we traded for a 5th round pick when he was getting outplayed by Engelland and Bortuzzo.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

Appreciate it. :) Kept looking for both Sid and Geno listed as scratches.. only Sid listed there. Kept looking for a game that was a loss too.. lets just say my record in attendance for Pens games last year was not too good. :laugh::cry:

1+1, 3 shots, 3 hits. I was hoping the box score would do it justice but it still doesn't. He was a beast that night.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Then watch the actual game ffs.

lol - Yea, I did. Malkin is my favorite player. I watched the games. I watched every painstaking minute of every game, knowing we didn't have much of a chance. That doesn't change the stat line.

The crowd of people carrying pitchforks trying to get rid of Perron, however, is ridiculous. Did he perform well for the final 20+ games? No, he didn't. To chase him out of town without a viable replacement after giving up a 1st round pick is asinine.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I get this feeling the Pens will end up landing Cody Franson and it'll be a 3-4y deal. But the amount will surprise us, mostly because the market isn't as hot as Franson and his agent had hoped, there are quite a few guys taken a little less than market value.

Not a huge fan of Franson, I like some of the things he brings like his pmd skills, shot, and size, but I don't know.

If it rids us of Scuderi and one of Kunitz or Dupuis, sure.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
That's a lot of "if's" And Lovejoy can't rebound because he was never good to begin with. He's the same player we traded for a 5th round pick when he was getting outplayed by Engelland and Bortuzzo.

I guess the alternative is to re-sign Martin and screw the Kessel deal? Also sign Franson 4 years 5 per? Hope Kunitz can turn it around at age 35/allow Dupuis a chance in the top 6 with heart issues.. or should we place our eggs in the 'Dumo, Pouliot are two of our top prosects and lets finally play them' basket? Get a top 5 winger in the NHL to play with our elite centers.

Eh I'm happy with our off-season. No. I'm ecstatic. And Lovejoy isn't a bad player. He is a number 6, nothing more and nothing less.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There was a game I went to last year, Sid and Geno both missed it. I was PISSED. David Perron proceeded to absolutely take the game over. He was the best player on the ice that night. Can't create his own shot? Guy was dancing, gliding on the ice like Malkin does. Dude has better mitts than any other winger not named Phil Kessel. 4th most skilled forward on the team. A (potentially) perfect linemate for Geno.

Jesus Christ people, what is with the unnecessary hate towards 39?? That he had a rib injury and prevented him from being the player he can be? His first 20 or so whatever games here he was everything we needed. But that's right, he is the reason we slumped down the stretch. Wasn't the fact that every single player completely **** the bed except for MAF. Perron is a pest, is skilled. He's never going to lay anyone out but he's physical. What am I missing?? Am I watching a completely different game??

I don't get it.

Had to be sure to quote this.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Well that's just a flat out absurd statement that reeks of "I don't like this player so I am going to say something asinine and not true."

Perron was up and down from Sid to Geno's line from LW/RW and really never got a chance to get comfortable on any line. Then he got hurt and we didn't notice it at first but when you look at his injury and when he started to look off, it makes a lot of sense why he struggled as much as he did.

It's hard for anyone to find any sort of chemistry when you are moved all around. I am still happy with the Perron trade, he'll be fine next year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
40-50 point borderline top 6 player who's a turnover machine?

Pest, strong along the wall, lives in the crease, can set up his linemates and finish better than most on this team.

You will be one of many on here looking mighty dumb next season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The point of the Malkin comparison seems to be eluding you.

lol - Yea, I did. Malkin is my favorite player. I watched the games. I watched every painstaking minute of every game, knowing we didn't have much of a chance. That doesn't change the stat line.

The crowd of people carrying pitchforks trying to get rid of Perron, however, is ridiculous. Did he perform well for the final 20+ games? No, he didn't. To chase him out of town without a viable replacement after giving up a 1st round pick is asinine.

Seems more like a very vocal minority of very new HF posters, if you know what I mean.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There was a game I went to last year, Sid and Geno both missed it. I was PISSED. David Perron proceeded to absolutely take the game over. He was the best player on the ice that night. Can't create his own shot? Guy was dancing, gliding on the ice like Malkin does. Dude has better mitts than any other winger not named Phil Kessel. 4th most skilled forward on the team. A (potentially) perfect linemate for Geno.

Jesus Christ people, what is with the unnecessary hate towards 39?? That he had a rib injury and prevented him from being the player he can be? His first 20 or so whatever games here he was everything we needed. But that's right, he is the reason we slumped down the stretch. Wasn't the fact that every single player completely **** the bed except for MAF. Perron is a pest, is skilled. He's never going to lay anyone out but he's physical. What am I missing?? Am I watching a completely different game??

I don't get it.

I like how the internet tough guys sitting in their arm-chairs don't understand how much a rib injury can hurt your game. Hell try breathing with a bruised rib, it's cool how the stabbing gets more intense when you breath in.

But hey...he's trash here.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Them being "bad' is also ifs.

Simply saying "they're bad" isn't true. For the the defense to be bad, ifs have to happen.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The stars are aligned for a career year for Perron.

Full off season to workout.
26 years old in his prime.
Playing for a contract.
Playing with the best centers in the world.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I don't get it.

The board has a weird thing with melodramatically hating on good players and at some point it becomes trendy (hence the bizarre criticisms and complaints that you'll see over time), and I say this as a person who has done that. There are a few other weird things but that's definitely one of them. :laugh:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Appreciate it. :) Kept looking for both Sid and Geno listed as scratches.. only Sid listed there. Kept looking for a game that was a loss too.. lets just say my record in attendance for Pens games last year was not too good. :laugh::cry:

1+1, 3 shots, 3 hits. I was hoping the box score would do it justice but it still doesn't. He was a beast that night.

No problem. Now that I think about it, that was the game right after the break. We all thought we'd get destroyed by the Jets :laugh: but Perron went beast mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad