HFAvs Ranks: The 50 Greatest Avalanche Players - #43

Who is the forty-third greatest Avalanche player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I liked Hinote and Skoula because their names are easily legible and memorable for a Finnish child practicing reading fluency. How about that? Did you consider that?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The disparity in popularity of role players from different eras feels like an insight into the changing nature of lines and line-up depth in the NHL. Logan O'Connor has 57 points in 206 games while Hinote had 65 in 353. While Hinote was obviously more than points I don't see a player lasting that long doing that little on the scoreboard nowadays, and certainly not enough to endear themselves to a fanbase the way Hinote clearly has.

Or all the pensioners on the forum are just overly enamoured with players from their youth in the same way I'll be here in 20 years with my Cogliano and J. Johnson jerseys framed and telling anyone who's left how great they were in the room.
Hey now, I'm not drawing the pension yet!

I'm guilty though, especially with the 90s guys. The mid-late 90s were the peak of my TV watching and video game time as a single guy so I also had a much better feel for 3rd and 4th liners across the entire league and could better judge how we stacked up. But I'll be just as enamored with JMFJ and maybe even Cogs in another 20. One of the things I've noticed is that I don't remember the negatives of players much after they've retired, so they all kind of get a boost in a way. Except Tanguay. That boy could never stay onside.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
The disparity in popularity of role players from different eras feels like an insight into the changing nature of lines and line-up depth in the NHL. Logan O'Connor has 57 points in 206 games while Hinote had 65 in 353. While Hinote was obviously more than points I don't see a player lasting that long doing that little on the scoreboard nowadays, and certainly not enough to endear themselves to a fanbase the way Hinote clearly has.

Or all the pensioners on the forum are just overly enamoured with players from their youth in the same way I'll be here in 20 years with my Cogliano and J. Johnson jerseys framed and telling anyone who's left how great they were in the room.
God I wish I was a pensioner in my mid 30s. Love the role players from my childhood much more than the ones now except I do love Cogs and JMFJ and will do everything in my power to get a game worn Cogs jersey from this season

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
nostalgia exists but it only gets to the second page. after that there is more to it. while looking at some cases, I don't care about points or some statistics. Parker for example had a REAL job and influence on the team. a greater one than most bottom sixers who have been playing in the Avs recently. different era blablabla. fact is: that is how things worked back then and that shouldn't be dis-considered.

I get many here are joking and all, but role players were, are and will forever be important on a hockey team. and a thread like this is one of the rare moments where we are able to show these guys from the past some appreciation and gratitude.

I'm guilty though, especially with the 90s guys. The mid-late 90s were the peak of my TV watching and video game time as a single guy so I also had a much better feel for 3rd and 4th liners across the entire league and could better judge how we stacked up.
I'm on a similar page. go back some years and I knew basically all the plugs out there. lol from Nasreddine to Bombardir, from Ciccone to Rico Fata, boy oh boy... good times.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011

It was a different era of hockey then and different things were asked of role players. Comparing third and fourth line scoring stats 20 seasons apart isn't particularly instructive.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It was a different era of hockey then and different things were asked of role players. Comparing third and fourth line scoring stats 20 seasons apart isn't particularly instructive.
Definitely this. You can throw defenseman into there as well.

I kind of gave up on this poll when guys started getting in with 25% of the vote totals. It’s been fun but if this was ever done again there probably should be runoffs. I think it would have changed things drastically.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I know, it was just an observation, not a criticism.
Definitely this. You can throw defenseman into there as well.

I kind of gave up on this poll when guys started getting in with 25% of the vote totals. It’s been fun but if this was ever done again there probably should be runoffs. I think it would have changed things drastically.
It would've taken a lot longer and had even less interest by the time we reached this point, and I don't think the order would have changed much.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I know, it was just an observation, not a criticism.

It would've taken a lot longer and had even less interest by the time we reached this point, and I don't think the order would have changed much.

A top 25 or 30 might be better, as that seems to be where things fell off. Hopefully Lehky and Nuke climb higher on this list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad