• LW - Sampo Ranta - 2018 #78 - (11)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Seems like most of the khl guys just want to come over to a competitive team in a decent market and get playing time. Can’t really blame them. I think we can offer all these things and therefore am not overly worried

It's only really a problem with fringe guys like Mironov. Who can make too much at home to tolerate the AHL for too many seasons. If Kovalenko becomes a legit NHL middle-6er he'll come to the NHL sooner or later...even if he ends up heading back for the KHL bucks if he can't get a top 6 salary in the NHL.

Even Kaprizov will and Minnesota handled that relationship as poorly as possible.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya I have almost zero concerns over Kovalenko coming to the NHL. Kid was here for the draft when he wasn't sure he'd be selected or not, came to the development camp last summer, his father was in the NHL and more specifically was an Avs player, and a lot of kids grow up wanting to follow the footsteps of there parents.

If he's good enough he'll come over. And I really think he'll be good enough. Love his energy level, plus he has a legitimately good skill set that includes a good shot, good skating and a fantastic motor.

I think he has future middle 6 guy written all over him. He actually reminds me of Compher quite a bit and I think the two of them will make for a beastly Middle 6 duo for us in a couple of years. Hopefully as 2 of the best 3rd liners in the league.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To me the question with Russian players isn't really if they will come over (if they are good enough anyway), but more will they stay for lesser roles? If they are not a top 6/top 4 guy, a lot don't tend to stick around forever. 2-3 years, maybe a year beyond an ELC... after that they tend head back to Russia. If Kovalenko only ends up a decent 3rd liner or worse, will he stick it out in NA or head back to Russia where he can be a star?

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To me the question with Russian players isn't really if they will come over (if they are good enough anyway), but more will they stay for lesser roles? If they are not a top 6/top 4 guy, a lot don't tend to stick around forever. 2-3 years, maybe a year beyond an ELC... after that they tend head back to Russia. If Kovalenko only ends up a decent 3rd liner or worse, will he stick it out in NA or head back to Russia where he can be a star?

If he's only a "3rd liner or worse" it's not that big of a loss if he doesn't stay.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If he's only a "3rd liner or worse" it's not that big of a loss if he doesn't stay.

Also agree with that. It just puts a small window on these players succeeding. Shvy, Kamenev, Zhuravlyov, etc all have similar issues. So if you start voting them as top 6/4 or bust I think it becomes a very different conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad