Who is the Avs #7 Prospect?

• LW - Sampo Ranta - 2018 #78 - (11)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Shane Bowers slips two spots to land at #6 this year. Ranta and Greer added. We'll keep adding two per round until we reach 10 total prospects, then go back to adding one.

PositionPlayerDraft2019 Rank2018 RankChange
RDCale Makar2017 #41 (96.7%)10
LDBowen Byram2019 #42 (98.1%)--
CAlex Newhook2019 #163 (60.0%)--
RDConor Timmins2017 #324 (57.8%)3-1
RWMartin Kaut2018 #165 (92.6%)2-3
CShane Bowers2017 #28 (TR)6 (76.6%)4-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm switching my support to Kamenev, he's pretty much NHL ready, the only question is whether he can stay healthy. I still think there's a good third liner in there if only he can avoid these season ending injuries.

Add Shvyrev again, and Morrison.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Easily Meloche, like easily. Not sure what you lot see in Kamenev besides a bottom 6 player, Meloche's potential and trajectory is more than an equivalent bottom-pairing defender.

Add Weiss

Reactions: avsfan09

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kovalenko. I'm all in on him after seeing him play for Russia last year. He's one of those smaller guys who I think can contribute even if he's not in a top six role because of his style of play and everything he does besides scoring. It was disappointing he wasn't at rookie camp this year and hopefully it's not foreshadowing his willingness or lack there of to eventually come over.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Easily Meloche, like easily. Not sure what you lot see in Kamenev besides a bottom 6 player, Meloche's potential and trajectory is more than an equivalent bottom-pairing defender.

Add Weiss
My thoughts. Kamenev has 3c upside but severe injury problems. Meloche has made steady progress and is still on track to become a solid top 4 guy with a physical presence that we are lacking.

Reactions: S E P H

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Either Meloche or the newest Meloche. I picked the newest Meloche because I'm not sure the Avs still have faith in the original one.

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Add Weiss
I definitely see a bottom six player in Kam, but to be honest that's still a higher ceiling than Meloche as a bottom pair D, and he's closer to that ceiling too in that he's basically NHL ready and only still a prospect because he was injured last year. If he had stayed healthy enough over a full season he would have easily passed the 65 game threshold.

Meloche I'm worried about because of his lack of upward progress, if he was on the right track he should be pushing for a callup by now, and at no point has he been close to that. I certainly hope he can take that next step next season, but he hasn't done that yet and so I really can't rate him above Kamenev here.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I definitely see a bottom six player in Kam, but to be honest that's still a higher ceiling than Meloche as a bottom pair D, and he's closer to that ceiling too in that he's basically NHL ready and only still a prospect because he was injured last year. If he had stayed healthy enough over a full season he would have easily passed the 65 game threshold.

Meloche I'm worried about because of his lack of upward progress, if he was on the right track he should be pushing for a callup by now, and at no point has he been close to that. I certainly hope he can take that next step next season, but he hasn't done that yet and so I really can't rate him above Kamenev here.
I respectively disagree with your assessment here. To me, being a bottom-pairing defender is more substantial than being a bottom 6 forward. Of course if I considered Kamenev enough potential to be a solid third liner, then I'll rank him here, but he's not only too much of an unknown at the moment, he didn't particularly shine offensively to be used higher. Trust me, for a big part between that awful run of the season, he was definitely a bright spot even in his reduced role.

Now with that said, I suggest you're undervaluing Meloche's talent. I was in the same boat as you, but every time I've watched in either in San Antonio or in Loveland he has always been impressive. He isn't a sure fire thing to make the NHL, but physicality won't hold him back nor his skating. His stick skills aren't amazing and probably the weakest part of the game for me, but are still miles better than Siemens. He isn't a player you can stat whack (I'm not saying you're doing this here). I think he has all the makings of being our next generation of Ryan Wilson and I don't think that's blindly optimistic to say.

Reactions: avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm Helleson here... just believe in his upside and trust what I see. Not a slight to Meloche or anybody else who can be voted, more about what I see in Helleson's upside.

Add Shvy and Morrison. Continuing to give Shvy a mulligan (against better judgement) based upon circumstances... he absolutely needs to show something in the first 20 games.

Reactions: ljb4 and Pokecheque

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I respectively disagree with your assessment here. To me, being a bottom-pairing defender is more substantial than being a bottom 6 forward. Of course if I considered Kamenev enough potential to be a solid third liner, then I'll rank him here, but he's not only too much of an unknown at the moment, he didn't particularly shine offensively to be used higher. Trust me, for a big part between that awful run of the season, he was definitely a bright spot even in his reduced role.

Now with that said, I suggest you're undervaluing Meloche's talent. I was in the same boat as you, but every time I've watched in either in San Antonio or in Loveland he has always been impressive. He isn't a sure fire thing to make the NHL, but physicality won't hold him back nor his skating. His stick skills aren't amazing and probably the weakest part of the game for me, but are still miles better than Siemens. He isn't a player you can stat whack (I'm not saying you're doing this here). I think he has all the makings of being our next generation of Ryan Wilson and I don't think that's blindly optimistic to say.

What?

A third line center is definitely more important that a bottom pairing D.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Going Kovalenko here.

Just loved what I saw from the kid in the World Juniors, and his numbers in the KHL as a teenager getting the limited minutes he had leaves me optimistic as well. I really think we have a Top 9 forward here and I wouldn't confidently say we have a Top 9 forward or Top 4 Defender in anyone else left.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really can't see Kamenev as a 3rd line center around here... Right now MacK and Kadri have the top 2 spots and are very unlikely to give them up soon. The 3rd spot will end up between Jost and Compher for a bit. Long-term Bowers is a contender there too. Newhook is offensively talented enough it is unlikely he ends up as a center for a 3rd line when he can be a good wing next to Kadri for a couple seasons. Jost, Compher and Bowers are not insane competition for a 3rd line center spot, but Kam is weaker than all 3 and the org is very clearly higher on 2 (for good reason). To me, he's a #4C here or gone... considering the lineup, he's pretty much gone.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really can't see Kamenev as a 3rd line center around here... Right now MacK and Kadri have the top 2 spots and are very unlikely to give them up soon. The 3rd spot will end up between Jost and Compher for a bit. Long-term Bowers is a contender there too. Newhook is offensively talented enough it is unlikely he ends up as a center for a 3rd line when he can be a good wing next to Kadri for a couple seasons. Jost, Compher and Bowers are not insane competition for a 3rd line center spot, but Kam is weaker than all 3 and the org is very clearly higher on 2 (for good reason). To me, he's a #4C here or gone... considering the lineup, he's pretty much gone.

Yep, I agree.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Don’t think you can say in a vacuum which is more valuable.

Can the 3C/3rd pair D play up the lineup during injury?
Can they pk or pp?
These roles look different all across the league

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I guess I just rate 'third liner" better than 'bottom pair". It would certainly be nice if Meloche could become more but I don't know how much longer he has to start taking steps towards being an NHL regular before he starts to really stagnate in his development.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’m going Kamenev here. I hate voting for older tweeners but he should get another shot.

Meloche will be next on my list tho I think his time to become an impact player for the Avs has passed. He might get a cup of coffee at some point but he’s not in any plans sadly.

Helleson is much too raw and has to show what kind of player he’s going to become. He should be in consideration for top 10 tho.

Morrison tops out as a good AHLer for me so I’m not voting him a good long while.

I’d add Ty Lewis before Shvyrev. Both in the same boat in the AHL but Lewis is the better player of the two. Obviously Shvyrev has the adjustment to North America to deal with but he also has more work to do to realize his game at the next level.

TL; DR add Lewis

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
@tigervixxxen What makes you think they are done with Meloche? He always was a more long-term prospect and I think he's been good in the AHL? You watch more AHL games, how would you describe his previous season? Stagnant or just lacking opportunity?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If there's anybody for me who looks like the odd man out in this grouping, it's Ranta. Never liked that pick, he's got some decent skills and good wheels, but has sand for brains and I doubt he's going to become anything noteworthy at any point. I'd rate all the players on the board right now as having NHL ceilings except for him.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->