• D - Nicolas Meloche - 2015 #40 - (5)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That doesn't make any sense for many reasons.

Reason number one would be that Makar is playing above expectations for a 4th OA and Timmins missing a whole year sure didn't jump at "above expectations Makar" level of upside.

Timmins had 2nd pairing upside on draft day and it didn't change much. He had a good D+1 year and missed his D+2 year completely...so yeah his upside isn't on Makar level out of the blue (that'd be Byram).

That said, 2nd pairing D > 3rd line winger with 2nd line upside (Kaut). So Timmins gets my vote.

I think the top pairing potential was there on draft day and I think it's still there; just less likely he hits it now. But he was always gonna be a 2d never a 1d.

Reactions: McMetal

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Add Stienberg :sarcasm:

No, you didn’t just go there.

upload_2019-7-9_23-58-17.gif

Reactions: Foxtail

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He is saying pure upside. Doesn't matter where they were drafted, when playing with their peers Timmins and Makar both excelled and it could be argued Timmins outperformed Makar (albeit given a much bigger role). So pure upside, from there is similar. What's changed is that Timmins got a serious injury and Makar went on to excel at the next level. Does that change Timmins potential? I don't think so, at least not from a pure hockey ability stand point. It might take him longer to get there buy Timmins still has top pairing potential IMO. I don't let injuries cloud my judgement on potential, especially when we have every reason to believe he is back to 100% health. (See Crosby, Bergeron, skinner)
There's no way in hell they have the same upside. They didn't have the same upside in 2017 and even much less now.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Timmins wasn't thought off as highly at the draft, Makar was obviously the one scouts thought had a higher ceiling, but that was before Timmins showed how dominant he can be in the OHL and before he dominated the WJC. After that, he was held in much higher regard in the hockey community and was considered really close to Makar.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Kaut

Timmins played his last game on May 11th 2018 and its still unclear what happens once he plays an actual game. A massive red flag that needs to be answered before I'm going in on the Timmins hype train.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Wait so let me get this right. Timmins misses an ENTIRE YEAR of hockey and jumps of Kaut in our prospect rankings...? Makes sense..
His health plays a big role here.
Last year there were still reports of issues. Now he has participated normally.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Missing as much hockey as Timmins has, can’t rate him at all. Just a bonus if he recovers and becomes an NHL player at all.

For fans of Kaut, what do you guys see him becoming for us?

I voted Helleson, think he’ll be a player.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

And as much as people don't want to hear it Kaut's +1 was pretty mediocre. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't anything that screams sure thing 2nd liner either.

Reactions: Barklez

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

I find it very unlikely people expected him to miss an entire year when we did these rankings last year. Even with reports saying he’s practicing normally, his interview at development cap suggested he is not yet ready for games. Kaut had a major scare with his heart around the same time and was likely projected (although concussions are hard to project) to be out longer in terms of off season training.

Regardless, it is quite interesting to see a player who missed an entire year and still have looming health concerns moving up in the prospect rankings.

Reactions: Y3TI

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I find it very unlikely people expected him to miss an entire year when we did these rankings last year. Even with reports saying he’s practicing normally, his interview at development cap suggested he is not yet ready for games. Kaut had a major scare with his heart around the same time and was likely projected (although concussions are hard to project) to be out longer in terms of off season training.

Regardless, it is quite interesting to see a player who missed an entire year and still have looming health concerns moving up in the prospect rankings.

Technically he'd be moving down... ;) 3rd last year, 4th this year behind 2 new players. Moving ahead of one previous player.

Reactions: Perratrooper

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You probably saw way more than the 3 games of his that I did last year, what's up with Weiss?

He weighs about as much as Kate Moss in her cocaine days and gets pushed around real easily. UNO was basically a 1 line team last year and Weiss spent a good amount of time in the middle 6 at the end of the season. Odds are pretty high that Weiss will end up with Conley and Ward on the top line next year. You could tell early in the season that college hockey was too much for him, but as it went along he got better and better. IMO he should have spent a season in the USHL with Chicago instead of UNO, but what is done is done now. This year will be important for him to get going. I'd like to see a 10-15 sort of season from him.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad